I'm worried about all the changes and complaints

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Must we repeat ourselves a million times? This is FINAL. This is on the 630 next month.

So, you're saying you got an official WP 8.1 update, not the Dev Preview? I thought these were sent to Manufacturers to test for bugs and whatnot and then they'd pushed them out to our phones with all the kinks fixed. I would've wanted to have a solid experience, no doubt, but I knew I could have issues and agreed to the TOS. If you weren't ready for that, you should have waited 'til whenever the OEM OFFICIALLY PUSHED out the UPDATE. But you didn't and now you're whining. This is probably why it takes so long to get the updates in the first place, cause you know, they TEST 'em. If you didn't want to be part of the "BETA" you shouldn't have signed up for the Dev Preview, Simple as that.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone 8.1 is going to suck a long time

OK deep breath and..............Begin

This is not a preview in the sense that you mean. This is actually on new phones being manufactured now. This is the real deal, and it's an utter fail.

The phones may be manufactured but the OS is loaded at the last possible moment. They may even be using a later build than the one we currently have without the bugs. Also the non-core apps will be updated on first use/setup of the handset so issues with those will be eradicated by the time someone starts to use the new handsets.

Dude..I am a serious user, and it was an integral part of my device. The fact that its gone is abysmal
The Facebook integration hasn't gone. it's still there it's just the chat has been segregated.

This is not WP. WP is dead. This WPAndroid
Has it at all occurred to your tiny little stuck in its way mind that the changes that have been made may have been done to help users in a transition from one platform to another. If it works in a similar way to what they are used to people are more inclined to learn and use the platform rather than give up in frustration and go back. It's a marketing ploy to encourage adoption. Luckily a lot of the features that have been added are also for the better.

now I have to open 3 different apps and guess as to which one they are on
that's the primary point of the Action Centre to notify you which platform you are being contacted via. Most people i know also tend to veer towards one messaging platform and stick with that anyway. i have friends who use only skype, others only on facebook, and some that are only on whatsapp. I'm very chat platform agnostic and i know which app to use to contact a particular individual.

I had the CHOICE (that's the opporative word)
You still have a choice. you can adapt and survive or jump ship and find a new phone OS to play with. And don't even get me started on your mis-spelling of "operative"

I don't pay for work arounds. I pay for things I like, I want, and that work.
Who said it was permanent. This is a temporary thing that has been caused by an app that is now updateable by the store rather than needing a full OS update. Also my suspicion with this issue is the people who are affected are with carriers who previously blocked access to these apps to prevent certain features from being used or so that the network could issue their own alternative. Give it a short while and it will all be hunky dory again.

Yes really...WP as we know and love it is DEAD. welcome to the world of WPAndroid
No WP as YOU love it is dead. like it or not this is the way forward the windows phone team has spoken

/rant

Darkgift like you i was a firm believer in the platform that worked in object centric manner as opposed to being app focused. The hubs and everything about them made sense and it was easier. Problem was this idea clearly wasn't working for the masses. Hell the only reason WP is the third largest smartphone OS is cos RIM screwed up monumentally with their blackberry OS/handsets. That coupled with the success of the platform in Second and Third World markets.

I think some patience and understanding needs to be exercised here. Look at Windows 8. That was almost a disaster worse than Vista. But things have happened since and it is now on the mend (far from perfect but on the right track now at least). Just give it a few months until the new handsets are retailing and the platform is being rolled out proper to existing handsets, what's to say things won't have changed for the better by then?

You have your opinion like the rest of us and you are entitled to it. All i say is instead of ranting at this forum and other people whose opinion differs from yours. Take on board what is being said instead of shutting it down because you don't agree.

Gotta admit I do admire your passion for Windows Phone

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Actually your statement was extremely rude and if you don't get it that is pretty sad. Leaving that aside, the fact that WP 8.1 is being released in NEW devices does not make the "preview" go away from the thing people are down loading. It is a preview that will be subject to adjustment and customization by both Microsoft and the OEMs over the next few months. People who do not understand this really should not play with previews. BTW, I have had one problem with the preview on my Lumia 928 - a nuisance when testing the narrator. Once I backed out of it, the preview has performed flawlessly.

Wow, if you found this what I said rude...

"Stop this argument. WP8.1 devices are coming out next month. There is no way Microsoft can fix all the issues and complains by june/juli when the update is out for everyone."

Then you are completely overreacting. How do you even survive in this though world?

Please do not accuse me of being rude but learn to cope with different opinions that are not in line with yours.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Nope, not worried at all. Some of the complaints are genuine complaints(battery life, power button unresponsive, games hub not functioning) etc and I believe most of these would be rectified before the final release June-July. This is what the preview was for; finding bugs.
Some other complaints are based off preferences and some are quite silly. "I don't want games to show on my app list". The games hub has been down for a day now and ive still been able to play games 'cause I could find them on my app list. Complaints based on preferences are silly "if you ask me" because you may not like it, some people do. You don't think MS is stupid enough to just change what everyone likes.

Well, I've had no complaints so far with WP8.1. It's the best mobile OS I've used to date. I've found little need for my laptop these days (maybe it's cause of the phablet) and that's a good sign

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
totally agree, since i updated my 925 it is not so easy to use, what a pile crap.:unhappy:

instead of knocking it can i hear your argument as to why it is "Crap"? What makes it less easy to use?

comments like this are in no way helpful to you or the community here. I know you want to vent your frustrations but do it in a way we can all understand and appreciate. Who knows someone may even have a suggestion that could help you.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Keep this number in mind then tell me if issues will be fixed in the next 60 - 90 days........18 months

I think that's taking things a little too far. MS is indeed serious with WP now, especially when their new CEO is advertising them as a mobile first cloud first company.
We will see a lot of improvements and bug fixes within the following days to address most of the (legitimate) issues and complaints

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I think that's taking things a little too far. MS is indeed serious with WP now, especially when their new CEO is advertising them as a mobile first cloud first company.
We will see a lot of improvements and bug fixes within the following days to address most of the (legitimate) issues and complaints

Aye and I would say 8.1 is showing their seriousness to this platform. If anything I would say they're slacking off more with Windows rather than WP!

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I am loving all the WP8.1 changes. I did a hard reset on my phone however to fix the cortana bug (which may or may not have been necessary but who knows). My Lumia 920 battery has actually been much better. It actually lasts an entire day now.. Before it would be practically dead by the time I leave work at 4:30. I agree that the FB integration and potential for the hubs was good but it's fine the way it is since I think that is what FB was pushing for and MS only implemented FB chat since FB wouldn't at the time. I get notifications perfectly now. and I ACTUALLY get my gmail finally, as before the default mail client actually stopped giving me my email and I couldn't check it from my phone. I don't have any problems with IE or the reading modes (I actually use them to read sites now :) ) and I don't miss any notifications. I hope some of the apps get updated soon though for 8.1 to go into the notification center.

The only problem I am having right now is my visual voicemail seems to be gone and I need to figure out why, but this happened also when I got WP8 for the first time and I called AT&T and they were able to fix it so we'll see if that works again..

I am not worried at all, as even with the bugs and complains, we actually finally have the media on our side! while some articles still complain about apps and such, for the most part they can't find too much negative to say about WP8.1.. which will be great for us!

Don't forget the preview is the RTM and has gone to nokia, HTC, etc. but they can edit the OS and add firmware and bug fixes and feature changes and such that will get pushed to us OTA. I think we are seeing a bigger "complaint" wave because EVERYONE got 8.1 as a preview without optimizations from their carriers and OEMs and slap'd it on a phone to get the new features without having to wait. Before people complained in waves of when the update went out, not all at once. I would wait for Nokia Cyan to see what fixes and such that has.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I see there's a lot of confusion about this preview and with all the issues related to it I can see why people are running around screaming it's the end.

First off, this is way more a preview than GDR3 was. There was no mention anywhere that his was RTM version. There was a post on WPC that said WP8.1 reached RTM but didn't say this is the RTM version. Even the blog says 'try out WP8.1 features'. So in my eyes and the fact there are features missing still gives me the impression this is a preview/beta version.

Also keep in mind we all need firmware updates. So a lot of bugs will probably get ironed out with that. Add in the BETA version of Cortana and it being only US at the moment and a large quantity of the 'issues' people have will disappear.

I don't get all the shouts and screams that people make about all this. You got the chance to try out things. When the real update comes with the firmware then you can complain more, as I'm sure many will about what doesn't work. Until then I think we should all just relax and see what comes.

This is a major update and I think the best move forward. It probably won't appeal to everyone (already the notification centre is annoying me) but as long as it keeps being 'Windows Phone' I'm happy to be a user. Let's give it some space and just enjoy it.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
There was no mention anywhere that his was RTM version. There was a post on WPC that said WP8.1 reached RTM but didn't say this is the RTM version. Even the blog says 'try out WP8.1 features'. So in my eyes and the fact there are features missing still gives me the impression this is a preview/beta version.

Also keep in mind we all need firmware updates. So a lot of bugs will probably get ironed out with that. Add in the BETA version of Cortana and it being only US at the moment and a large quantity of the 'issues' people have will disappear.

I don't get all the shouts and screams that people make about all this. You got the chance to try out things. When the real update comes with the firmware then you can complain more, as I'm sure many will about what doesn't work. Until then I think we should all just relax and see what comes.

This is a major update and I think the best move forward. It probably won't appeal to everyone (already the notification centre is annoying me) but as long as it keeps being 'Windows Phone' I'm happy to be a user. Let's give it some space and just enjoy it.

There is a lot of confusion over the whole RTM debate this is the RTM build but it isnt the GA version that will be appearing with the new and existing handsets

i have posted about the differences in the build types in another thread here

plasmid_uk

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Software and FIRMWARE...goes like bread and BUTTER. They kind of need each other to work. No wonder so many people are having issues with firmware driven hardware such as Wi-Fi, camera etc. etc.

I feel sorry for all the phone carriers and manufacturers, they must be getting tonnes of complaints for something which isn't their fault.

Overall I think MS allowing the masses to download the preview was a good idea, but they should've only allowed the floodgates to open for a day to prevent too many people screwing up their phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12