I'm worried about all the changes and complaints

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone 8.1 is going to suck a long time

Mine work all the time. What do you mean?
For Facebook, no I don't think it's for the better, but I could hardly care as I filtered out Facebook in my people hub anyway. WHAT I SAID was that it was properly done by request of facebook to push people towards their official apps. If I'm right, I think the Facebook 8.1 update would probably remove the messenger from our app as well, forcing us to make use of their messenger app.

The problem is that the Facebook Messenger doesn't work, at least for me. Most of the time I get no notifications.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

You seriously think that the changes they made to Facebook is for the better?

As far as communicating with my friends is concerned Yes. While having the one location for all messages (I loved it back in the days of WP7 etc) was convenient if i ever received Rich content (ie images or other things) then i couldn't view that in the built in message centre. All i would get was a URL which when touched would open up ie and never load the link properly for a variety of reasons.

The only way around that originally was to open the facebook app and check in there which was slow to load as i had to wait for the feeds to update before i could get to messaging. Now the facebook messenger app is available i get best of both worlds a quick loading app that gets to the point and allow me to properly view any content sent to me in chat by my friends.

The bug bear that came from that was having 3 different things notify me all at once. Granted I was able to turn of message notifications on the Facebook app but the messaging centre ties into the phone settings and as i want to keep my contacts facebook details i was stuck with that service being left on and driving me crazy every time i got a message.

Now with WP8.1 only one application tells me i have messages and i get properly informed of them via the "Action centre"

So tell me how is that not "better"???

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

As far as communicating with my friends is concerned Yes. While having the one location for all messages (I loved it back in the days of WP7 etc) was convenient if i ever received Rich content (ie images or other things) then i couldn't view that in the built in message centre. All i would get was a URL which when touched would open up ie and never load the link properly for a variety of reasons.

The only way around that originally was to open the facebook app and check in there which was slow to load as i had to wait for the feeds to update before i could get to messaging. Now the facebook messenger app is available i get best of both worlds a quick loading app that gets to the point and allow me to properly view any content sent to me in chat by my friends.

The bug bear that came from that was having 3 different things notify me all at once. Granted I was able to turn of message notifications on the Facebook app but the messaging centre ties into the phone settings and as i want to keep my contacts facebook details i was stuck with that service being left on and driving me crazy every time i got a message.

Now with WP8.1 only one application tells me i have messages and i get properly informed of them via the "Action centre"

Because of this:
The problem is that the Facebook Messenger doesn't work, at least for me. Most of the time I get no notifications.

Before that, I ALWAYS received my notifications from the mesages hub.

What phone do you use? I get notifications instantly

Lumia 820.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Not Juts that, some times the me tile would refuse to clear itself. At times, the Facebook messages I get fail to reach me, and the overall experience was horrible.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Because of this:

Before that, I ALWAYS received my notifications from the mesages hub.

Lumia 820.

I have a 625 on 8.1 and a 620 on 8.0. I have no reason to use the 8.0 phone sine the 8.1 one works better. I'm not an android fan or anything. I just like the increased customisability. Spent all night setting up custom alerts. So far I've had no problems at all. Try uninstalling/reinstalling

clechner77

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site

I guarantee Facebook is for the better. Removing it from the core allows far faster and more frequent updates. It also sets the tone for other social integration at the app devs discretion -- see goodle plus, yammer, etc. Pulling back also puts Microsoft in a more neutral field so they don't favor Facebook over google and can start to play nice again.

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

I saw this in another thread to do with Whatsapp. The workarounds are to try either disabling wifi sense or data sense.

Well, apparently it worked. Let's see for how long.

Thanks anyway. It was one of the things that annoyed me the most. Other than that, I welcome most of the changes.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I'm using a Lumia 925. my only real complaint is with battery life so far.

i had a fully charged battery at 7am (UK time) its now 12:49 and i have 53% left. i get the feeling this may be resolved in a future OS update or firmware update from nokia (Cyan update anyone).

funny thing is since using battery sense it is showing me that my Kindle App is the main culprit (looks like Amazon may have some work to do)

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

Why does a moderator even let a thread like this open?
Let me put this bluntly, MICROSOFT will fix everything one step at a time. They are really minor bugs that will undoubtedly won't get past Developer Preview.

That list is pure s**t. How many posts are even valid? How many are just duplicates?
Out of ~30 pages from http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/274574-34.htm#post2473089, I've only managed to find 10 VALID bugs (probably 5 more if I take into consideration Cortana related/ VPN). 34 pages ~ 14 bugs means 1 bug every 8 and a half page. If we were to divide the 600 posts on MSDN, it would get us ~70 bugs and I highly doubt there are that many

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Well, apparently it worked. Let's see for how long.

Thanks anyway. It was one of the things that annoyed me the most. Other than that, I welcome most of the changes.

hopefully it gets fixed properly soon but that at least should tide you over till it is fixed.

birgs

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Wp8.1 Work on my phone very smooth..my all friends plans to buy windows phones.. They like background picture... You don't need any themes to downloads because picture can be instant themes.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Why does a moderator even let a thread like this open?
Let me put this bluntly, MICROSOFT will fix everything one step at a time. They are really minor bugs that will undoubtedly won't get past Developer Preview.

That list is pure s**t. How many posts are even valid? How many are just duplicates?
Out of ~30 pages from http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/274574-34.htm#post2473089, I've only managed to find 10 VALID bugs (probably 5 more if I take into consideration Cortana related/ VPN). 34 pages ~ 14 bugs means 1 bug every 8 and a half page. If we were to divide the 600 posts on MSDN, it would get us ~70 bugs and I highly doubt there are that many

Why do we let a thread like this to go on? Because we like discussion at WPCentral and we know that not everyone is going to agree on everything. As long as everyone I polite and doesn't become insulting or try to shout others down there's no reason we can't have a good discussion saying what we don't like and why.

I think you all have to bear in mind that when you installed the developer preview you should have been very aware this is not final software, even OEMs change and bug test the OS and work with Microsoft before anything is released OTA.

fzkpfw

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
i am one of the people who enjoy this update, despite the bugs that occured..
I believe that the separation of app are necessary for future of windows integration between pc and wp..

Sent from my 1215B using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte