Can't text while on WIFI anymore :(

knuckles245

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Ever since the WP8.1 Preview for Developers update, I can't send or receive text anymore while connected to my WiFi. I looked through all my settings that have to do with my network, data, and they all are just fine, they are set the way they should be. I have to disconnect from my WiFi in order to send and receive text. Anyone else having this issue?

Lumia 925 on T-Mobile

JoaoCSM

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Ever since the WP8.1 Preview for Developers update, I can't send or receive text anymore while connected to my WiFi. I looked through all my settings that have to do with my network, data, and they all are just fine, they are set the way they should be. I have to disconnect from my WiFi in order to send and receive text. Anyone else having this issue?

Lumia 925 on T-Mobile

I don't. I can do anything while wi-fi is on, either connected or disconnected. I have a Lumia 920, unbranded, in Portugal.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

Lumia 925 on T-Mobile

A few of us have had issues with WiFi...sometimes mine says its connected to WiFi, but its really 'dead' in that the wifi code is hung and even though it says its connected, its really not. But you're saying ONLY texts won't work?

I'd start by turning off all that WiFi sense stuff...

Joe Annabel

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 521, cant send or receive texts SMS either. I'm on t-mobile as well. The second I hit "send" it pops up saying "cant send". Ticking me off quite a bit. Did a factory reset to no avail.

Joe Annabel

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Also, I have these terrible "photos" in my phone that keep showing up on my "photo" feed. They are the background wallpapers you can now use. Cant get rid of them or even find them after digging through my files!

Thomas Ozawa

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Reboot your WP by pressing the volume up button and the power button simultaneously for about 15 seconds ( stop when a black screen appear)

Joe Annabel

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Is this confirmed to work? Because I've tried everything else, lol

(Edit: Mine just takes a screenshot...)

Last edited:

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Seems to be all T-Mobile related. T-Mobile has a unique feature that allows its phones to use wifi network connection for calls and texting to compensate for the small network coverage of T-Mobile. Since this preview is a Microsoft OS update only. It probably won't, and does not have ways to, work with this customization of T-Mobile phones.

knuckles245

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I found out the issue and I fixed it, my sincere apologies for my late response for anyone waiting to know whether I fixed it or not. I noticed on my daughters Lumia 521 app list, at the bottom, she had an app called "Wi-Fi Calling". I didn't have the app on my phone so I downloaded it from the store, I looked into the app and just switched the Wi-Fi Calling feature off and I kept my network WiFi on... all is good and it works just fine.

IMPORTANT: You won't find the app in the store just by typing it in, it will not show up. I did a search for "My Account" and the search will bring up the T-Mobile app for your account. I scrolled over to details and clicked "More from T-Mobile USA", you will now see the app. Go ahead, install it and turn the feature off and you should be good.

T-Mobile Lumia 925

Last edited:

knuckles245

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

Lumia 925 on T-Mobile

Ok, I found out the issue and I fixed it, my sincere apologies for my late response for anyone waiting to know whether I fixed it or not. I noticed on my daughters Lumia 521 app list, at the bottom, she had an app called "Wi-Fi Calling". I didn't have the app on my phone so I downloaded it from the store, I looked into the app and just switched the Wi-Fi Calling feature off and I kept my network WiFi on... all is good and it works just fine.

IMPORTANT: You won't find the app in the store just by typing it in, it will not show up. I did a search for "My Account" and the search will bring up the T-Mobile app for your account. I scrolled over to details and clicked "More from T-Mobile USA", you will now see the app. Go ahead, install it and turn the feature off and you should be good.

knuckles245

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
But that didn't fix the problem. Now if you lose network service you can't call or text anyone.

Don't take what I am about to say as solid facts, because I may just be wrong. If anyone can correct me and provide the solid facts, that would be great.

I see it as this, texting uses the network service provided by your carrier, which is why you need signal bars. Everything else is can be utilized with WiFi as data

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I am not on t-mobile but AIO.

I seem to be able to text just fine but it's looking like my mms are not going through while on wi-fi. :| When not on wi-fi they go just fine.

defante

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Were you able to fix it? Check my second comment below for the fix.

Yes. I might not have been clear with my reply, but that was what I did so I could text again. The not being able to MMS was already a known issue with "WiFi Calling" on T-Mobile. I figure WP8.1 changed enough that SMS was affected as well. Most likely we'll need an updated "WiFi Calling" app from T-Mobile.

Marit Franks

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Does AIO support wifi calling? I've heard different things. I got a 925 through T-Mobile which I will switch to AIO if they have wifi calling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss