WiFi always on.

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Prior to 8.1, I'd always turned the WiFi keep-alive feature off as it seemed to drain my battery

Keep-alive seems to be default now on 8.1 - is there a way to turn this off?

--
Mark

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
"Keep wifi on under lock screen" I think, or something like that. It's not easy to translate sometimes when you do not use an english based os.

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
No - there's an option to automatically connect to hotspots provided by the network operator, and an option to send information about wifi connections to help discover nearby wifi, but there's no option to keep wifi connections alive even during phone -lock.

--
Mark

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
"Keep wifi on under lock screen" I think, or something like that. It's not easy to translate sometimes when you do not use an english based os.

There is no such option in 8.1 anymore. That's a WP8 option (after GDR1 IIRC).

Personally, it makes very little differences in power consumption based on my own experiment back in WP8 days. It makes a big difference in cellular data consumption. For ppl who has a limited cellular data plan, it makes more sense to keep wifi on all the time.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok, it looks like is brand/maker dependent. Of three WP8 phones I have upgraded, both my Lumia 920 and 1520 don't have this option show up but my HTC 8X does have this option.

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, perhaps this is something Nokia specific then, or maybe the feature will be added back with the 'Cyan' firmware package?
I hope so, my personal feeling is this is partly the reason for the increased battery usage on my phone now that 8.1 is installed.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
As long as you're connected to Wi-Fi the majority of the time, you should be fine with it always on. Wi-Fi uses less power than cellular. When you're not connected to Wi-Fi, that's when leaving it on will drain more battery. It'd be nice if the geofencing would auto turn it off. It's really only half implemented right now. Anyway, I'm connected to Wi-Fi most of the time and I'm seeing the same battery performance with 8.1 as before on my Icon. Maybe a little better. If you're not usually connected to Wi-Fi, you should not have it on by default.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If you are not connected to Wi-Fi, leaving it on will only increase battery consumption a little when your phone is active. When the phone is sleeping, it does not search for wifi networks that often.

The reason there is no wifi auto turn off is because the phone relies on wifi to offer more accurate location without using the GPS. If you notice that the default settings on turning off wifi is auto turn back on after 1 hour. So, leaving wifi on is a deliberate choice by Microsoft.

Paul Boland

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
This option is also missing on my Lumia 820. Since upgrading to Windows Phone 8.1 I noticed my battery is draining more and it's because the wifi is always on. This needs to be fixed!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon