How to get Windows Phone 8.0 back on your device!

silentdk

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I experienced something fun after I got installed Windows Phone 8.1 Preview on my Lumia 920 I do not think it worked particularly stable.
So I decided to do a hard reset with the Nokia Software Recovery Tool where I expected to 8.1 preview would be installed again, but no it was Windows Phone 8.0 which was installed.
Was otherwise convinced that it was not possible to go back to Windows Phone 8.0 but it was so obvious anyway. Maybe a bug in the Nokia Software Recovery Tool.

If nothing else, for those of you who want 8.0 on your phone, it was perhaps worth a try.

My Lumia 920 is Danish.

Nokia Software Recovery Tool download
Support - - Nokia - USA

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's a bug...I believe it's a legit way to downgrade for the more tech savvy. I can flash back to amber if I wish (and I don't). I believe that Microsoft would rather want the average person to believe that they can't go back so that they don't mess anything up.

silentdk

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
You're absolutely right, when the official Windows Phone 8.1 is released, I do not think it is possible to downgrade to the previous version.
Just wanted to share the information with people on this super cool forum, as I have read some threads where people wished they could go back to 8.0. :)

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
You're absolutely right, when the official Windows Phone 8.1 is released, I do not think it is possible to downgrade to the previous version.
Just wanted to share the information with people on this super cool forum, as I have read some threads where people wished they could go back to 8.0. :)

yeah i get you, i don't get why though because its better to get used to the os now if its going to be officially released anyway but i guess its up to people

pedrodg28

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

I don't think so, this tool doesn't ask permision to install or updgrade the phone's software, it flash it by force, this would be the windows phone equivalent of formatting a pc, it doesn't matter what i put in the hardrive, if i format it, any software protection and all that goes away, Microsoft doesn't share this with us simply because if you screw up, for example, you accidentally disconnect your phone during the flash process, then you're screwed, though it's on you not on Microsoft.

robertwt7

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I experienced something fun after I got installed Windows Phone 8.1 Preview on my Lumia 920 I do not think it worked particularly stable.
So I decided to do a hard reset with the Nokia Software Recovery Tool where I expected to 8.1 preview would be installed again, but no it was Windows Phone 8.0 which was installed.
Was otherwise convinced that it was not possible to go back to Windows Phone 8.0 but it was so obvious anyway. Maybe a bug in the Nokia Software Recovery Tool.

If nothing else, for those of you who want 8.0 on your phone, it was perhaps worth a try.

My Lumia 920 is Danish.

Support - - Nokia - USA

God , you're a lucky one to have your lumia 920 succeed to upgrade to windowsphone 8.1 beta, mine stuck at spinning gear and neverr turned on....

Lakshman Guntu

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to Hijack your thread but I am getting an error when trying to run Recovery tool. any idea why? Its detecting the phone and saying the message in the screen shotUntitled.png

Rafael Baudelaire

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing the firmwares of Lumia 920 are offline in Nokia's servers, because I tried to download in Nokia Care and Data Package Manager and are giving failed by not finding the file.

Other firmware from other models can download

I can not downgrade for 8.0

"Wrong file size or checksum: http://nds2.fds-fire.nokia.com/p/d/fds_fire/1211/0215/7115857057/91549561_RM-820_RM-821_RM-822_TypeLabel_Group1_DM_5.33x5.33_CoO_Eng__001.xml"

zorb58

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so, this tool doesn't ask permision to install or updgrade the phone's software, it flash it by force, this would be the windows phone equivalent of formatting a pc, it doesn't matter what i put in the hardrive, if i format it, any software protection and all that goes away, Microsoft doesn't share this with us simply because if you screw up, for example, you accidentally disconnect your phone during the flash process, then you're screwed, though it's on you not on Microsoft.

No. I think he's right. While you're correct that this is like reformatting and reinstalling from a recovery partition or something, eventually this image will be replaced with 8.1's when it is officially released.

Lakshman Guntu

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing the firmwares of Lumia 920 are offline in Nokia's servers, because I tried to download in Nokia Care and Data Package Manager and are giving failed by not finding the file.

Other firmware from other models can download

I can not downgrade for 8.0

"Wrong file size or checksum: http://nds2.fds-fire.nokia.com/p/d/fds_fire/1211/0215/7115857057/91549561_RM-820_RM-821_RM-822_TypeLabel_Group1_DM_5.33x5.33_CoO_Eng__001.xml"

thank you. Hopefully they are going to fix this just incase if i want to downgrade.

Buntymunna

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm experiencing same problem as mentioned above by 'Lakshman Guntu' n 'Rafael Baudelaire' while downgrading from 8.1 to 8.0 through NSRT. It is showing ''Software package not available for this phone'' followed by ''Package download for the selected phone failed''.

When NSRT starts there is an option in the bottom ''My phone does not start up and respond''. So is it safe If i select this option to downgrade? In normal method Im unable downgrade due to error in downloading software, but my phone is running perfectly so Im asking you people.

Please help me in this regard.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

My Lumia 920 is Danish.

Support - - Nokia - USA

I'm sorry you had troubles with WP 8.1 but thank you for posting this guide on what you can do to roll back. there does seem to be a lot of confusion amongst users about tis whole thing and providing them an option to go back until a later date (when the issues will have hopefully been resolved) will prove a valuable lifeline.

Buntymunna

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Finally I'm succeed. Back to Win 8.0

Through NSRT I selected the option called ''My phone does not start up and respond'' and followed the onscreen instruction. (I did it even though my 920 was not dead because Im getting ''firmware not found on servers for your phone'' message every time whenever Im trying to update my phone through NSRT and NSUT). NSRT told me to connect my phone and after that to hold and press volume down/power button. Thats it. My phone was restarted and NSRT detected my phone. Finally got a option to download firmware for 920. It's almost 1.3 GB big.

Now finally Im back to 8.0. Enjoying great battery life as before.

Thank You,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb