Windows Phone 8.1-update or not?

Ryan Schouten

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I am tempted to install Windows Phone 8.1 on my Lumia but with the disclaimer that the manufacturers drivers might not be available I have been holding off. So I am curious, what issues are people seeing after updating to 8.1. I figured this would be helpful for myself and others who are thinking about upgrading to decide whether to do it now or wait for the official update.

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I was skeptic on adopting latest software update. But, the difference between WP 8 vs 8.1 is too much. I pulled the trigger. Got the phone updated. could not be happier. I fall in love with this phone all over again, just like when I got it. It is different experience (Better). So far, there is NO issue present other than the screen sensitivity and auto brightness that had already been with the phone before the update. Go update it man, you'll know what I am talking about.

Lumia 1520

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I did the upgrade and have no regrets. No real bugs to speak of that I've noticed...and even if there were, the extra features would be worth the trade off.

Ryan Schouten

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with running it unlocked on T-Mobile with 8.1. Since that is how I'll be using it.

Last edited:

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Mine is unlocked (att version). I used it on Tmob. It couldnt pick up the 3G band from Tmob. I recently switched back to att.. No problem on wp 8.1.. Idk if this helps..

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
My Unlocked 1520 (ATT version RM-940) now running in ATT, it has zero problem regarding connectivity (other than mentioned above, screen sens. and brightness issue). I was using the phone on Tmob network. The issue was, ATT version (RM-940) is missing one of the Tmob band. It is causing the phone cannot pick up 3G signal. It can pick up LTE connection (since it is 4G). In remote area, you cant get any signal and your battery will be drained because it keeps looking for the signal. in most area, it will be switching among LTE, 4G, EDGE or GPRS. the battery will be drained out in no time. With that issue, I decided to move back to ATT. of course after Tmob paid for the ETF reimbursement. :p hope this helps. :)

Lost_Cosmonaut

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Alright I bit the bullet. 8.1 is installing now. I will update everyone with my experiences about what does and does not work.

It's awesome and all the improvements over WP8 are definitely worth it as long as you keep remembering this is essentially a Beta and there WILL be hiccups and minor issues.

Ichigo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
yup.. it's worth the issue! haha.. I heard that this is "BETA" just because it would take carriers way too long to get the update approved. So, they launched it in "BETA"

Tansen

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Honestly this should pretty much be how they push updates from now on, just the way Apple does it. This update has, as someone stated here, made me fall in love with my L925 (tmobile) all over again. I know its "just a phone" but this is a MASSIVE update with ALOT of new features and performance upgrades. I could never go back to WP8 again without feeling really disappointed.

Ryan Schouten

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so far 8.1 is awesome. I am glad I did. For anyone on T-mobile I am not experiencing any issues. I am getting the same level of service and I still have LTE. I have tested Cortana against Siri and Cortana is definitely better.

Ryan Schouten

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I found the first bug. Internet Sharing is not working as I have seen others with the same problem. I get a message "Internet Sharing isn't currently available"

Mihir Kandoi

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Things I noticed....

1. Wi-Fi 📶 turns off when the phone is locked.
2. Minor lag and stuttering but easily goes unnoticed. You will only notice it when u expect iPhone like experience.

That's all folks!

danielgray

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I would say yes, there are bugs. Remove all google accounts before upgrading. I had to perform, a hard reset and manual reinstall of everything because my 2 Gmail accounts were stuck syncing for 3 days. They could not be deleted.

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99