CONFIRMED - Huawei Ascend W1 will work with Windows Phone 8.1

Abovuekt

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I flashed today my Huawei according to your instructions and all went fine - so, let me thank you first! :)

But, due to that:
What handset do you have? Did you flash the ROM on the first post? Eli A (MSFT) says that he has suspended the WP8.1 download for Huawei devices.

EDIT - This is the quote from Eli A on the MIcrosoft Community:
"Hello Folks,
Just a quick heads up as to where we are at on this specific issue. Until we roll out the next release, we have decided to stop the update notification to the Huawei Ascend devices so that you don't get your hopes up only to have it error again. As soon as we have this fixed, you will see an update and that should help brighten your day.
Other then that, I don't have anything else to share for the time being. As soon as I have more, I will bring it back here for everyone to hear.
Thank you,
Eli A"

I don't get the update notification anymore and I am not able to do the update on the Phone - to late :(
Any ideas to install WP 8.1 without notification on my Phone?

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I flashed today my Huawei according to your instructions and all went fine - so, let me thank you first! :)

But, due to that:

I don't get the update notification anymore and I am not able to do the update on the Phone - to late :(
Any ideas to install WP 8.1 without notification on my Phone?

It's not a problem at all, glad I could help!
Microsoft temporarily disabled all Huawei Ascend W1 devices to fix the problem and to make sure none of us got our hopes up with getting that error code we've been getting since day one.
I had upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1 before they took the update down, but I could suggest a fix, but not sure whether or not it will definitely work!

1) Set everything to English (United States)
2) Do a hard reset (Settings > about > reset my phone) NB - You will still have GDR3 if you upgraded to this!!
3) Once reset, reinstall Preview for Developers
4) Check for updates and see if you get the update notification to update to WP8.1!

Let me know how you get on! :)

Abovuekt

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply ;)

May I ask, why do you think that there is a chance this will work? I mean, after resetting the phone it is still a Huawei device and according to Eli's post I thought they have added something like:

If (PhoneAsking == Huawei)
{ return "it's up to date"; }​

to their update service.

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply ;)

May I ask, why do you think that there is a chance this will work? I mean, after resetting the phone it is still a Huawei device and according to Eli's post I thought they have added something like:

If (PhoneAsking == Huawei)
{ return "it's up to date"; }​

to their update service.

There is a small chance that it could work! However, just reading Eli A's post just now, the update notification has stopped for ALL devices except those with the 1ST UPDATE ALREADY INSTALLED.

Even though still, it may still work for you! Luckily, I got it at just the right time before Microsoft pulled the plug!
I enclose a screenshot of Eli's reply.
OH NO.png

Abovuekt

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Ahh - ok I see.
I think the first update was successfull on my Phone, but how can I be sure?! The current installed Version is: 8.0.10521.155.

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Ahh - ok I see.
I think the first update was successfull on my Phone, but how can I be sure?! The current installed Version is: 8.0.10521.155.

The first update in preparation for Windows Phone 8.1 is 8.0.10532.166. When this update is installed, you should get the following update number 8.1.12359.845, otherwise as Windows Phone 8.1.

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok, thanks. I've tried it already and it does'nt worked. So, I have to wait I think...

Microsoft confirmed they have stopped all devices receiving the 80183309 error code "The update was downloaded, but couldn't be opened."
This means they are working on a fix, as confirmed by Eli A earlier.

Han Oo

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
waiting.......for huawei w1 wp8.1 update :)
The current installed Version is: 8.0.10521.155
i can't found no new update :D

Last edited:

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The following forum entry is for Huawei Ascend W1-U00 handsets only!!

Hello all you consumers and developers,
I took a risk and installed the Russian ROM people were talking about (available here https://onedrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror) at the Microsoft Community here (Windows Phone 8.1 Ascend W1 ->80188309 - Microsoft Community and check the post by FedorMaslak - translation required Russian - English)

The instructions on how to flash a ROM to the Huawei Ascend W1 are found here http://forums.windowscentral.com/hu...ose-who-get-their-w1-market-locked-china.html

Here is how you do it:
Step one - Flash the ROM using the tools in the forum entry above.
Step two - Download General Distribution Release 2 (GDR2) OTA via phone update
Step three - Download Preview for Developers
Step four - Activate the Preview for Developers and install GDR3.
Step five - Once installed, you will see Update 1/2 installing on your device, this is for preparation for WP8.1
Step six - Check for updates and Windows Phone 8.1 will install!

I have enclosed two screenshots of my home screen, Cortana and my "about your phone" screen, obviously with the various bits removed. I am on O2 UK in the United Kingdom using firmware number 1030.56.01000.05310.

I will happily make a video for YouTube if people wish to see it run on the W1.

View attachment 63040
View attachment 63041
View attachment 63512

My W1 says h883g. Can I load this?

priemo

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Ryan ODonnell for this!

Just wanna clarify some things.
Microsoft stopped the notifications to fix the errors regarding Huawei updates to WP8.1
So that explains why my phone still on 8.0.10521.155, and is not able to detect the latter updates,
Because 8.0.10532.166 (the update preparation for 8.1) will be released once WP8.1 is live again for Huawei devices am I right?

Additional questions:
How much free space is required for the WP8.1 update?

Thanks again! :)

kaiser10123

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I am still waiting for update after installing this rom and that is fine if it has been haulted but now I can only get edge(2g) using my att sim card and have lost 3g here in the USA.

luke_grech1

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
The following forum entry is for Huawei Ascend W1-U00 handsets only!!

Hello all you consumers and developers,
I took a risk and installed the Russian ROM people were talking about (available here https://onedrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror) at the Microsoft Community here (Windows Phone 8.1 Ascend W1 ->80188309 - Microsoft Community and check the post by FedorMaslak - translation required Russian - English)

The instructions on how to flash a ROM to the Huawei Ascend W1 are found here http://forums.windowscentral.com/hu...ose-who-get-their-w1-market-locked-china.html

Here is how you do it:
Step one - Flash the ROM using the tools in the forum entry above.
Step two - Download General Distribution Release 2 (GDR2) OTA via phone update
Step three - Download Preview for Developers
Step four - Activate the Preview for Developers and install GDR3.
Step five - Once installed, you will see Update 1/2 installing on your device, this is for preparation for WP8.1
Step six - Check for updates and Windows Phone 8.1 will install!

I have enclosed two screenshots of my home screen, Cortana and my "about your phone" screen, obviously with the various bits removed. I am on O2 UK in the United Kingdom using firmware number 1030.56.01000.05310.

I will happily make a video for YouTube if people wish to see it run on the W1.

View attachment 63040
View attachment 63041
View attachment 63512

Hey awesome background picture you got there! May I ask you to upload it so that I can put it onto my start screen? :)
Would be very grateful if you do so, if not..no worries :)

Avi Kcholi

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Did everything on my device but it will not update to 8.1 and currently it is on version 8.0.10521.155, which as far as I can guess is GDR3.

Chris Tsiolas

May 22, 2013
Visit site
So... i read this article, and got excited but...!

Today, May 2 2014, is it going to work if i install the custom rom ?!
i have the official rom, and OS version 8.0.10521.155, and my model is a european, HUAWEI W1-U00.

I check for more updates but i get nothing.
Do you believe that in a couple of days i'll be able to get the pre-8.1 update, and then the real 8.1 without "hacking"/installing a custom rom ?
If i install now the custom rom, do you believe that i will still have to wait the same amount of days, until MS makes the update available again ?!

LONG STORY SHORT: I have W1-U00 OS Version 8.0.10521.155. Do you believe that i ll get the update in a few days no matter wether i install the custom rom or not ?!

Thanks for your time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion