Wifi reception extremely weak

chaz2400

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
It seems my wifi reception on my Icon is EXTREMELY weak, if existent at all, after I upgraded to 8.1. I have a wireless hotspot directly outside of my office and have tested other devices including a Surface, iPad and a friend's Android device. They all get full signal. My Icon now shows one bar if I am lucky and consistently drops the connection. It is a secure WPA2 connection. Anyone else seeing this or have ideas? Thanks.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed any differences on my 920. My WiFi network (also WPA2 Personal) stays connected when I'm in the car outside my apartment.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here, every device but my 1520 has great wifi signal. I'm hoping that we'll see some small updates over the next couple of weeks to address these issues.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
It isn't due to the router.. It's just the phone and new update.. The wifi still works as well as could, but the phone just show less bars

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Right, because within 50ft of the router I should be only getting one bar? Sure.
My Icon is having WiFi issues after updating. Low signal like one bar next to router, connecting automatically, got a good error message today that my router had no internet connectivity, yet 6 other devices were happy. I had to toggle on/off to fix that. Another issue is router handoffs, I have three routers to extend my home network. Since the update the phone will not switch to the stronger signal, keeps a very slow poor connection to the first router it connected to. This wasn't a problem before. Still I really like the update, and don't mind dealing with "beta" issues.

Lost_Cosmonaut

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
My Icon is having WiFi issues after updating. Low signal like one bar next to router, connecting automatically, got a good error message today that my router had no internet connectivity, yet 6 other devices were happy. I had to toggle on/off to fix that. Another issue is router handoffs, I have three routers to extend my home network. Since the update the phone will not switch to the stronger signal, keeps a very slow poor connection to the first router it connected to. This wasn't a problem before. Still I really like the update, and don't mind dealing with "beta" issues.

Yeah, I'm sure it's something that they are going to fix. As I said, mine only shows one or two bars but I still have connectivity.

SeannyFunco

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm noticing on my 925 at my job that the WiFi connection shows lost signal. However when I go into WiFi settings it says "can't connect to internet" but is still connected to the SSID. If I bring up the context menu and say, "Disconnect" and then tap the name of my WiFi network again, it will reconnect immediately with full signal and connect to the internet just fine. Just wanted to throw my experience out there to see if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. At my home, I do not experience this behavior.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh well it did for me on my home and work wifi

No what it showed you was that you had a Wifi connection the bars never went up or down, you had to go into WiFi settings to see the actual strength it used to drive me nuts. Now 8.1 shows you actual signal strength.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
No what it showed you was that you had a Wifi connection the bars never went up or down, you had to go into WiFi settings to see the actual strength it used to drive me nuts. Now 8.1 shows you actual signal strength.

Still no :) If I had a bad wifi conncetion the bars did show me on 8 :) I know cuz the Wifi at my college is pretty weak from time to time and my bars always showed me that

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Still no :) If I had a bad wifi conncetion the bars did show me on 8 :) I know cuz the Wifi at my college is pretty weak from time to time and my bars always showed me that

No it was static, it might have changed in a later update but when I had a Lumia 920 from launch until last July the WiFi icon was static it never really showed you the actual strength.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo