Constant Loss Of Data Connection After 8.1

Prasun Banerjee

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Pietroroman for summarising ... exactly what i have been saying ( except the 3 part) .. Its got nothing to do with Wifi or tethering ...

happens randomly multiple times a day ... have not been able to identify any specific trigger yet ... I am on Vodafone India ....

Is there a Hutch connection here ? Vodafone India is basically the erstwhile Hutch India, Three is also part of Hutch ... some commonality in terms of network protocols which is causing the issue ?

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to tell, jfa1
this issue DOES affect everyone whose updated to WP81 DP with three UK provider!

I already had to return my previous lumia 920 because of this problems and now this prevents me to upgrade my new lumia 925.

Facts:
- it is not related to tethering (my plan allows it and it works perfectly)
- it is not related to wi-fi
- happens few times in a day
- only solution is to switch flight mode on/off
- it is a problem between 8.1 and THREE UK carrier (don't know if others in the world they suffer from the same problem)
- this happens more often witn 8.1 developers preview. my girlfriend she got a lumia 630 with 8.1 preinstalled and had the issue only few times in two weeks

All other commnents talking about tethering or wifi anything else will move from the point.
We just need to hope that this bug will be solved as soon as possible.

It was about tethering in my case. My plan does not allow tethering, and the Three system thought I was tethering and blocked my account. This has been confirmed to me by the engineers at Three after 2nd line support escalated the issue further. They confirmed that their system thought ie11 on wp8.1 dev preview was a desktop browser. Now they have manually removed this block from my account, the data connection works perfectly.

pietroroman

May 11, 2014
Visit site
It was about tethering in my case. [...] Now they have manually removed this block from my account, the data connection works perfectly.

i am glad you solved your problem, but this is not the case we are talking about, then.
again, this problem is not related to tethering.

i just upgraded my old lumia 720 with cracked screen to 8.1 so i can monitor the situation without affectin normal usage on my 925. i'll let you posted if i have any news, hope you guys will do the same

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
i am glad you solved your problem, but this is not the case we are talking about, then.
again, this problem is not related to tethering.

i just upgraded my old lumia 720 with cracked screen to 8.1 so i can monitor the situation without affectin normal usage on my 925. i'll let you posted if i have any news, hope you guys will do the same

When the connection goes down, are you able to access the Three website? Does the sim card work in other phones and does the phone work with sim cards from other networks?

I don't know what the problem you are having is, but the majority of people in this thread have had data connection issues because Three's backend systems think that ie11 on wp8.1 is a desktop browser.

Cerberus1953

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm another one in the UK who uses 3 as the provider.

I'm also getting the dropped data connection. I'm running 8.1 on a 1020. Don't use the internet that much on the phone so cannot remember if it did it before updating to 8.1, but I've had it a lot the last few weeks.

I also have an iPad again on 3 that suffers the same problem, my brothers iPad (also on 3) suffers the same.
Will try tonight when out working to see if both (phone and iPad) suffer the problem at the same time. We've always had the problem with the iPads

pietroroman

May 11, 2014
Visit site
When the connection goes down, are you able to access the Three website? Does the sim card work in other phones and does the phone work with sim cards from other networks?

Hi three_thoughts!
I did not check the three website. I can anyway exclude is a sim problem: here's the details of my experience.

I had an unlocked Lumia 920 with a three uk pay monthly plan that allows tethering. Tethering always worked on my phones. I upgraded to 8.1DP and the problem started to appear, making the cellphone almost useless (i use a lot of email whatsapp and skype, so not being able to get notifications because the data is down is hard to swallow).
I went to three to check if my sim was faulty (as they suggested), they even make me switch to a new sim card. This did not solve the problem so basically i traded in my upgraded 920 with a 8.0 unlocked lumia 925 from computer exchange which is working beatufully now.
That sim is working normally -tested a few minutes- with other phones in my house (lumia 610, lumia 630, lumia 720).

As i said above my grifriend just bought a new unlocked 630 from tesco (OT: a bargain!) with 8.1 preinstalled and she uses a pay as you go three uk sim card, so she should spot the problem, as the three pay as you go does not allow the tethering. She said that after a month o use she had a problem with data only two or three times. She is a heavy whatsapper, so she would have noticed the problem. I'd say twice in a month is a problem that can be occurred in any other ways (poor network, app crash, etc, so i would not count that in this investigation).

I just upgraded my bronek screen lumia 720 to 8.1 to check further with my simcard so we can have more details, BUT since the 630 which is only 3G is working i'd assume this is a problem between the lumia 920/925 (and probably 1020 and other 4G phones) 4G radio chipset and the three network, i am not sure i will be able to replicate it (the 720 istelf is 3G only).

Hope this can help someone who has better insights than me.

Last edited:

adds6970

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I was having same problem. Data loss which was temporarily restored by aeroplane mode toggle. I am also on three. I've enabled tethering on my account and since then the problem has gone. However although my data works now, my tethering allowance does not seem to be affected by data usage. I'm using a lumia820.

Last edited:

AzelDazel

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I emailed three as someone suggested earlier in the thread.
Someone called me that day and i explained it to him, he escalated it with tier 2 support and said i would get a text when it is done.

Just got the text now so will see how it goes over the next couple days.

simon 4

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Three do my head in the Indians they employ are hard to understand even second line support and there advice hard reset ffyfftfftfft kers I started getting these problems since updating to 8.1 both phones HTC 8s and now I got a Nokia 625 I also got the warning that I'm tethering which I have never tried on the Nokia, not got that on my plan. Yet i can always connect to my three account

barneyboyhughes

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE

Decided to cancel contract after many twitter rants with @three support, they fobbed me off and said that WP 8.1 wasn't compatible with 3 mobile. They then escalated my case and promised to fix it in three days.

They sent me a text to say they had fixed the issue, and voila, everything ok since!!!

I asked them what the problem was, but they said it was too technical to explain 😃

What a bunch of duck wits!

pietroroman

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I have an update as well.

I spent my weekend calling three uk support centre and I basically had the same answer as barneyboyh. - i received this morning the message that my problem has been solved. They said they are slowly updating the software running the network antennas.

So far (6-8 hours) i had no disconnections, keep finger crossed that our roubles are gonna end... will keep you posted

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
This thread seems to have derailed from the original issue which is still occurring.

I have a 1520 on the latest 8.1 update on AT&T and no tethering at all on my plan. I am still getting periodic data connection issues.

I first catch it when I get an issue trying to send a text message. I'll have full 4g bars and WiFi but data, text and SMS do not fuction.

With the release days away I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed.

simon 4

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if they updated anything but after factory reset it does seen alot better 9 times out of ten my 3g/4g works!! I was reluctant to do a reset as I done this many times on htc 8s this had no effect. But my Nokia 625 seems to be working rather well last couple of days so maybe three did sort something

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
This thread seems to have derailed from the original issue which is still occurring.

I have a 1520 on the latest 8.1 update on AT&T and no tethering at all on my plan. I am still getting periodic data connection issues.

I have had my 1520 for about a month now and have never to my knowledge experienced this issue. I am sorry that some are experiencing it. Maybe Cyan will cure the issue

I first catch it when I get an issue trying to send a text message. I'll have full 4g bars and WiFi but data, text and SMS do not function.

With the release days away I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed.

barneyboyhughes

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Update.

Its all fixed. Whatever the support team at three did has fixed my connection issue.

Seems to be the only way to fix it is to tell them you want to cancel.

Absolutely no dropouts on days connection.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Update.

Its all fixed. Whatever the support team at three did has fixed my connection issue.

Seems to be the only way to fix it is to tell them you want to cancel.

Absolutely no dropouts on days connection.

I don't think that's it. Unless carriers need to apply some sort of update or patch. I've been fooled a few times into thinking it was fixed only to have data go out 2 or 3 times in one day.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
And is MS aware of this and how come WP Central isn't running a main news story and contacting MS about the problem? It's going to be a PR disaster if this isn't fixed at go live.

athloni

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs