Constant Loss Of Data Connection After 8.1

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I've been fooled a few times into thinking it was fixed only to have data go out 2 or 3 times in one day.

This is worrying since the roll-out of the official Cyan and 8.1 is fast approaching. Currently win8.0 is still working perfectly and we have not had a single drop out since getting the 520 mentioned here.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/277165-4.htm#post2605226

As for bad PR, msoft are well capable enough to thrive on generating their own, as in, the recent no-ip.com debacle. LOL

Alekx3

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Bought a Lumia 930 from Amazon.fr and using that with Three UK: Same issue.

Called, mailed, rant-ed on @threeuksupport. For now their answer is just "we need to examine your data to understand the process". Despite the links sent to them and clearly explained the issue, they obviously have to follow their own internal escalation process.

Their ETA was 7 days! I clearly stated that I am not going to wait that amount of time. I requested my PAC code and If I don't hear by monday at last, I will bring the contract to another carrier.

That's just ridiculous.

Regards,
Alek

Prasun Banerjee

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Its been really bad over the last few days ... connection drops even i am online ... i am on a webpage ... click a link and connection drops !!! atleast 10 to 12 times in a day !!! Have to reset the data connection to get back on !!! Vodafone India !!!

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Bought a Lumia 930 from Amazon.fr and using that with Three UK: Same issue.

Called, mailed, rant-ed on @threeuksupport. For now their answer is just "we need to examine your data to understand the process". Despite the links sent to them and clearly explained the issue, they obviously have to follow their own internal escalation process.

Their ETA was 7 days! I clearly stated that I am not going to wait that amount of time. I requested my PAC code and If I don't hear by monday at last, I will bring the contract to another carrier.

That's just ridiculous.

Regards,
Alek

If you're running the 8.1 developer preview this won't have anything to do with the carrier. They aren't going to know about or be able to support the issues. It's a Microsoft problem on the preview.

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
This problem wasnt just isolated to Windows 8.1, when i bought my 925 from Three UK, i thought there was never any issues, that was until i tried browsing the web without Wi-Fi, this resulted in a 'Tethering' issue error message, a simple on/off would restore it, however i did find that certain apps would cause this to happen, Mostly the WPCentral App, which is now where there a Three option tick box on the settings, and Readit, the Reddit client for WP.

Currently i have WP8.1 DP installed on my L925 on Three, and I also have to continuously toggle Flight Mode on/off to reset the issue, this will have to be done constantly depending on how much im hammering the browser and apps.

I'm really hoping that the Cyan update will resolve something, seeing as its supposed to be carrier/phone specific, and also there is a new DP update out today, which i havn't received yet.

burgoyne93

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
This has been angering my for the past month and I've not bothered looking up a solution until now. It's good to hear some of you have had success contacting three about the issue, I've just sent an email and hopefully the problem can be fixed for me too! I've gone as far as toggling airplane mode on and off up to 20 times a day recently!

Although it is weird on the tethering side of things, if I tether then my data connection drops and I get a tether block message in IE. Although now when the data randomly drops and I open IE, I just get a general IE can't display this web page error message and nothing about a block.

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
This has been angering my for the past month and I've not bothered looking up a solution until now. It's good to hear some of you have had success contacting three about the issue, I've just sent an email and hopefully the problem can be fixed for me too! I've gone as far as toggling airplane mode on and off up to 20 times a day recently!

Although it is weird on the tethering side of things, if I tether then my data connection drops and I get a tether block message in IE. Although now when the data randomly drops and I open IE, I just get a general IE can't display this web page error message and nothing about a block.

Same thing here, I get the IE cant display the webpage. I rarely get a tethering block message these days, just the IE Error message.

burgoyne93

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not particularly sure how three can solve the problem for individual users at time of complaint and not for all of the Windows Phone 8.1 user base at the same time though...

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the percentage of 8.1 users is very low on the Thee network for now with the global roll out not yet happened, and they look like individual cases.
I believe the issue hasn't been fixed tho for those people that have contracted Three. I phoned up a week ago, and their suggestion to be was to add another APN in the access settings there same as the current three setting. They did however try to phone back to see if the issue had resolved itself, bit I missed the call. My contract is due up April or May next year, if the issue isn't resolved, I will have no other option but to switch network and/or OS which will be a shame due to how's many benefits Three has, I also should of paid to get Tethering with my contract when I bought the phone. :'(

burgoyne93

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Just got off the phone with 3, they really just don't have a clue do they. The best I got back from them was just downgrade to Windows Phone 8 as it appears to be a problem with the developer preview as three don't support 8.1. So it looks like if anyone wants to use the data they're paying for you'll have to revert to WP8 for now.... She "assured" me it wasn't a tethering issue as the tethering message doesn't come up in IE when my data stops working.

burgoyne93

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
This thread seems to be spot on with the issue: Data Connection Issues

And it does 100% appear to be threes problem and they DO have a fix backend for the issue.

Edit: Although after ringing it seems they couldn't care less about sorting he problem out for me and insisted that I try the sim in another phone to make sure it's not the sim playing up. Even after I accurately described the exact cause of the problem to them!

Last edited:

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Are you guys on Three getting text message failures too?

My AT&T plan in the US doesn't have tethering and is blocked. But I still get the data failures.

Chris B42

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I am also having this problem with three on unlocked Nokia Lumia 625 running the official 8.1 update (not the developer preview). I have called a few times and they have changed me to a contract which includes tethering so will see if this works (although they do not admit the problem is at their side). I have 14 days on this changed contract & if it does not improve I will go elsewhere. As with other users if you switch on airplane mode then switch off again restarts data for a while. Also found that leaving battery saving mode on all the time helps as it presumably prevents messages getting back to three's servers (although does rather defeat the purpose of the update as it blocks the notification centre!!!). It is definitely a tethering block issues as three's website works fine even with the DNS errors on other websites and repeatedly had tethering warnings. Here is my email I have sent "Good Afternoon. I wanted to contact regarding the issues I have been having with your Tethering Block over the last week. I have recently upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1 on an unlocked Nokia Lumia 625. Since upgrading I have only had limited data access as I have repeatedly had tethering blocks and associated DNS errors (I do not currently use tethering and have not intentions of doing so). This is associated with the upgrade from Internet Explorer 10 to Internet Explorer 11 as the standard web browser. The tethering block allowed Internet Explorer 10 in the user agent field, but since the upgrade Internet Explorer 11 has been blocked. As a result you will see I have upgraded my contract to include tethering to see if this fixes the issues. I wanted to stay with three as I have had repeatedly good service both with data and with customer services. As over the next few weeks thousands of users will also be upgrading I think you may need to look at adjustments to your tethering block. I hope these comments help and that I will be able to continue using your services after the recent upgrade. Regards. Chris" See if I get a reply....

Chris B42

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Further to above, I have now added 4GB of tethering per month & after restarting the phone as three advised to restart the new package I get the message "Tethering is not supported on your package" This is the page which is now constantly displayed in internet explorer: Three. Reference SIM002. Will be ringing back tomorrow to cancel.

adzzzbatch

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
As the OP I've been quite quiet in this thread as I hadn't notice much of the issue of late (probably because of just using WiFi more), until the last couple of days where data will go at random and as usual toggling flight mode on/off cures it for a while until it goes again and the process has to be repeated.

Diniy Moktar

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm also having trouble using Wi-Fi tethering on my lumia 920. The laptop was connected but somehow when I opened the browser, it couldn't load at all . And then it will turned into limited connection. How to solve this problem?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb