Constant Loss Of Data Connection After 8.1

tejedor1967

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Having the same problem in Spain with WP8.1 (updated) and Simyo as provider. I don't use too much tethering and I don't consider the problem is related to that. May be people thinks that because they find out the drop when trying to use tethering.

In my case I notice the problem with Whatsapp and Telegram but this is because I use them a lot so it's logical that I find the data drop when using that program.

My tests points to problems when you go from coverage to no-coverage and back to coverage areas or when changing from one cell to another. I'm not sure.

Anyway looks a software issue to me on the cell-radio part of the WP8.1.

My phone is Lumia 1020.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I had it happen once after the last update. But it doesn't do it as often. Usually my first clue is a text message that won't send.

This should be show stopper bug. So I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed in the past couple of updates.

Prasun Banerjee

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The problem's become a lot worse over the last few days ... Disconnecting atleast 3 to 5 times a day ... have to switch off data and then switch it on again ...

huppy

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
The problem's become a lot worse over the last few days ... Disconnecting atleast 3 to 5 times a day ... have to switch off data and then switch it on again ...

Me too, it got a bit better last week.

Qatar 4G Ooredoo network here. At first I thought it was the network being overloaded and dumping me off. Friends with iPhones though don't have the same thing happen to them.

So far I can spot nothing that causes it.

Sometimes switching data connection off then back on fixes it but sometimes it doesn't.

Seems strange that a software update should effect this when it worked fine before.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I haven't experienced data loss on 8.1 with my 920 or my new 1520. Could this possibly be a tower reception strength degraded signal strenfth issue? Just wondering.

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I am also having this problem on Three UK. I'm 99% sure that the issue is with carriers where tethering is not allowed in the contract.

The tether blocking system that they use detects the user agent string of the browser and uses that to decide if you are tethering or not. 2nd line support from Three confirmed this to me. If you search for "what is my user agent" you can see what it is and you will notice that it has changed from ie10 on wp8 to ie11 on wp8.1. So the tether block systems that the carriers use are detecting this and thinking that we are tethering and blocking the connection.

It's intermittent because the blocking system isn't very good and doesn't work properly all the time. Sometimes I get an error message that says something along the lines of "tethering isn't allowed" but most of the time I don't get redirected and just get "DNS error" or "the server is down" error.

So this isn't a fault with the OS or the firmware, so don't expect updates from MS or nokia to fix it. It's the responsibility of the carriers to fix this, they need to make the user agent string of ie11 exempt from the tether block system. I guess this is the down side to OS releases that are untested by carriers.

By the way I have used wp8.1 with both o2 and ee who don't block tethering with non problems.

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
And by the way, Three already said they had taken the block off my account last week, but I'm still getting the same error. I don't mind so much that I don't have data at the moment (can use wifi at home and at work), but I want it to be sorted by the time I can get my hands on a 930 so I can use those 4g speeds!

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issues as above. I'm on 3 network. Constant loss of connection.

Have you ever seen the SIM002 error message? It has a message something like "are you using your phone as a personal hotspot?". Can you access the Three website at times when the data connection is not working?

If so then it's certainly the same tethering issue and you should ring them up and tell 2nd line support. The more people who do, hopefully the quicker they will fix it for everyone rather than just putting exemptions against accounts on an individual basis. Also I'm not convinced that these exemptions they are saying they are putting on are actually doing anything other than temporarily fixing it.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
This issue does NOT affect everyone whose updated to WP8.1 DP!!

I think you would need to know how much data a person is using as for the casual user, it may not be noticeable. Our monthly data is at around 98GB and the 520 is Tethered about 10 hours *every* day. Then you can get to see a pattern if it is dropping or not.

I used to use a Moto X but it was dropping the Tether frequently so I bought a 100-buck unlocked 520. With the 520 and wp8.0 it has not dropped once in the past three weeks.

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I notice this more on my 920 after installing the preview but this may be because I am using it more. I don't believe this to be carrier connected as I only seem to notice this when I am on Wi-Fi and stationary, mostly when I am gaming or on Twitter. We need to wait for the firmware to see if this works itself out.

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I notice this more on my 920 after installing the preview but this may be because I am using it more. I don't believe this to be carrier connected as I only seem to notice this when I am on Wi-Fi and stationary, mostly when I am gaming or on Twitter. We need to wait for the firmware to see if this works itself out.
You're having a different problem to the rest of us in this thread.

my data connection is perfectly stable on two carriers and keeps being blocked on a third. I know that its being blocked because the one website that works is the carriers own website, so the data connection itself is not the problem.

pietroroman

May 11, 2014
Visit site
This issue does NOT affect everyone whose updated to WP8.1 DP!!

Sorry to tell, jfa1
this issue DOES affect everyone whose updated to WP81 DP with three UK provider!

I already had to return my previous lumia 920 because of this problems and now this prevents me to upgrade my new lumia 925.

Facts:
- it is not related to tethering (my plan allows it and it works perfectly)
- it is not related to wi-fi
- happens few times in a day
- only solution is to switch flight mode on/off
- it is a problem between 8.1 and THREE UK carrier (don't know if others in the world they suffer from the same problem)
- this happens more often witn 8.1 developers preview. my girlfriend she got a lumia 630 with 8.1 preinstalled and had the issue only few times in two weeks

All other commnents talking about tethering or wifi anything else will move from the point.
We just need to hope that this bug will be solved as soon as possible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs