Constant Loss Of Data Connection After 8.1

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
FWIW - I've been having exactly the same problem with a brand new Lumia 930, so don't think this is a "developer preview" issue.

In my case, I went into the Three store today to ask about this before seeing this thread. They spoke to their support and were told to try a different SIM in the phone, which worked fine. Consequently, they suggested a SIM swap, so I'm currently waiting for the old SIM to deactivate so I can try the new one. However, neither the helpful guy in the shop or I am supremely confident this will work!

What is slightly odd is that before my 930 arrived, I had used the SIM in my 920 (which had the dev preview) and it seemed to be fine. That said, I got the SIM on Tuesday, ported my old number on Wednesday and then got the 930 on Thursday, so only have a couple of days of "it working" to go on.

Assuming the new SIM doesn't help, then at least I can refer to this thread to let them know that they do have a known problem that they should be able to fix!

MarleneM

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I have 925 on three network. I have to manually change my setting every time i am not using WiFi. Have to go into mobile & sim in my settings and change it from automatic to 3uk. It never stays selected. Have to do this all the time. Very frustrating but not been able to sort it any other way so far. Least i get data now when i am out and about.

burgoyne93

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
FWIW - I've been having exactly the same problem with a brand new Lumia 930, so don't think this is a "developer preview" issue.

In my case, I went into the Three store today to ask about this before seeing this thread. They spoke to their support and were told to try a different SIM in the phone, which worked fine.

Was the other sim card one with tethering enabled though? The issue only seems to effect plans that do not allow tethering.

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Was the other sim card one with tethering enabled though? The issue only seems to effect plans that do not allow tethering.

Indeed. They thought the SIM in the shop wouldn't have had tethering enabled, but weren't really sure.

As expected, though, the new SIM swap I did failed to help. Having now got off the line with the second line support, they were able to see from the logs on my account that this was a tethering lockdown. Sadly the support guy didn't really understand WP at all (at one point he asked me to go to the Play store and download Chrome!). In the end, though, he acknowledged the problem and escalated it to another team who should be able to update the provisioning on my account within 3 days. He said he'd call back on Tuesday to see if it had been resolved...

I'll keep my fingers crossed...

AJE1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Good grief!!! This is of concern as I am on Three and about to buy a L930.
My whole family, plus a spare phone for guests from overseas, is on Three so may have to threaten that we will all leave!! :-(

burgoyne93

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Indeed. They thought the SIM in the shop wouldn't have had tethering enabled, but weren't really sure.

As expected, though, the new SIM swap I did failed to help. Having now got off the line with the second line support, they were able to see from the logs on my account that this was a tethering lockdown. Sadly the support guy didn't really understand WP at all (at one point he asked me to go to the Play store and download Chrome!). In the end, though, he acknowledged the problem and escalated it to another team who should be able to update the provisioning on my account within 3 days. He said he'd call back on Tuesday to see if it had been resolved...

I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Whattt?! I'm glad to hear you got it sorted but when I was talking to them it was like talking to a brick wall. I just wanted them to check the logs for a tethering lockdown and go from there but she just insisted in trying the sim in another phone (whats the point, cause that wont be my phone then...). Any tips on how to get it through to them? :p

Edit: Just went for the 5th phone call and he just told me his manager is using IE11 on three without problems (He probably has tethering enabled). He also told me that I would be getting tethering error messages as opposed to DNS errors if it was a tethering issue. I'm going to reset back to Windows Phone 8 for a few days and see how that goes before maybe trying another 8.1 preview.

Last edited:

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure how I managed to get my message through to them, but I think it helped that by the time I spoke to the first line support I'd already been through the SIM swap and the "try another SIM in your phone" by talking to the guys in the shop.

Once I got through the second line support they were actually able to see in the logs that it was a tethering error. Even better, though, while I was going to random sites for them while on the call, I actually got the tethering error to show up on my phone, so could definitely say that I was getting error "SIM0002".

At the moment, of course, they've not actually fixed the problem, so whether my progress has actually got anywhere is TBD.

AJE1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Last night I put a question re this on Three's blog site. The reply was they are aware of the issue and are working on it. However, the moderator only mentioned the developer 8.1 and didn't seem to be aware that the full, official version is out with the Lumias 930 & 630.

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Last night I put a question re this on Three's blog site. The reply was they are aware of the issue and are working on it. However, the moderator only mentioned the developer 8.1 and didn't seem to be aware that the full, official version is out with the Lumias 930 & 630.

Thanks for the heads up. I've added a comment as well, making it clear that this is now released software, not a preview!

eepyaich

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
To give them credit, as of this morning, three seem to have fixed my issue. Data has been working for for me all day and I've just had a text telling me the issue is resolved and the ticket closed.

AJE1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, I have just picked up my new L930 and nano-SIM to which my number and account will be transferee "within 24 hours". So we will see!!!

Jajador

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi, perhaps somebody have explained this solution... sorry.

In my case, I bought a 925 a few days ago and it has this signal issue only in some places. One of them is my home. Reading some suggestions, I switched my data connection to 3g (disable 4g) and I have never seen the loss connection issue again. Of course, I have disabled my LTE connection :( but I prefer have signal to receive calls.

The issue appears with WP 8.1 official cyan release and with the WP 8.1 developer preview 12397. I think that it is something relative to low signals coverage, and perhaps with a new algorithm in this new software version including a timer to do not be switching between 2g, 3g, 4g repeatedly in short time.

danielPlummer

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Same thing here L930, works fine with other SIMs, and my Three SIM works fine in other phones.

However put the 3 SIM in the L930 and boom, within 1-2 mins internet is gone. I've found that jumping between highest connection speed of 3G-4G kinda 'resets' the connection so I get access for another few mins but then gone.

I've spent over an hour on the phone with them, and even showed them the 3 blog where the mod acknowledges the problem but still just got "it's a handset problem" duh.

I've added a comment to that blog as well hopefully will get a response :)

AJE1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, sure enough, I had the same data problems that others have had.

I have been in contact with Three via their blog (their call centres can be like pulling teeth). Via the blog I have been assured that my account will be changed to allow my data through.

I will let you know.

burgoyne93

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, sure enough, I had the same data problems that others have had.

I have been in contact with Three via their blog (their call centres can be like pulling teeth). Via the blog I have been assured that my account will be changed to allow my data through.

I will let you know.

Can you post a link to the blog you commented on ? Cheers!

AJE1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Three has sorted me out. Several others have also been on to them via the blog and have been promised action.

My data speeds are SO much quicker on the L930 than on my L800 on 3G!! If this is how quick 3G can be then I can't wait to get into the city and try out 4G!!😃

danielPlummer

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Three has sorted me out. Several others have also been on to them via the blog and have been promised action.

My data speeds are SO much quicker on the L930 than on my L800 on 3G!! If this is how quick 3G can be then I can't wait to get into the city and try out 4G!!

Fantastic!

How long did it take for it to be sorted? I notice you were told 24hrs for a fix where as I and others have been told 72.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss