Different Vibrations in 8.1

silvertonesx24

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Anyone miss the different vibration alerts for text messages vs emails vs other notifications? As far as I can see, every notification has the same vibration. I really liked before then text messages were one vibration, emails were two short vibrations, notifications were three, and reminders were one long vibration. Why would they remove that?

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I've encountered the opposite. Today I assigned a different ring tone to my wife and now it vibrates this weird pattern. Can't find an option to adjust it.

ChrisLynch

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Anyone miss the different vibration alerts for text messages vs emails vs other notifications? As far as I can see, every notification has the same vibration. I really liked before then text messages were one vibration, emails were two short vibrations, notifications were three, and reminders were one long vibration. Why would they remove that?

I certainly do!

paras chugh

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
my phone just vibrates two times before it starts ringing and then it stops vibrating while the phone is ringing....do you guys also experience it?

ChrisLynch

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I still get different vibrations for SMS messages and notifications, but emails have changed from the 2-buzz to the 3-buzz pattern :(

I'd love to have that vibration pattern. But that doesn't happen. It's a single buzz. No double or triple to know if it is a SMS or Email.

CreepinJesus

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to have that vibration pattern. But that doesn't happen. It's a single buzz. No double or triple to know if it is a SMS or Email.
How do you have your email alerts set up in the Notifications settings? For comparison, mine are set to show in Action Centre, 'Nokia Email' sound, and vibrate (so no banners). Also, it's a linked inbox.

silvertonesx24

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else but after a few days of usage I have found this to be a big disappointment with 8.1. To me, text messages are a bit more urgent than emails, but when the phone is in my pocket, I have no way of knowing the difference like I did before, and now find myself scrambling for the phone over every stupid email I get. Yeah Cortana and all of the additional features are really nice but this is something that affects my everyday usage.

What reason would there be for removing this very useful feature that had been there since 7.

silvertonesx24

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Didn't get your point bro? You mean it doesn't give a notification for text messages?

It does give vibration notification for text messages.

My point is that in every WP since 7, emails, reminders, and text messages all had different patterns.

Once, short for text messages.
Twice, short for emails.
Three times for toasts.
Once, long for reminders.

Now, they're all the same kind. I can't tell the difference between some Reply-to-All ***** on my business email vs. a usually-more-urgent text message.

lukemholl

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
It seems to depend on the sound alert selected I think?
Having my text messages set to 'default' gets the usual single buzz, changing it to 'alert 1' for example, gets the 3 buzzes... Not sure if there's more to it than this though?

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I initally upgraded my phone (Lumia 620) to 8.1 and I was getting the single buzz for texts. I just did a hard reset to try to see if it would help with the lag, and now my texts have the triple vibrate, which I hate since I can't differentiate the type of notification in my pocket anymore...

Allan Kaliel

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine seems to have stopped vibrating altogether with the 8.1 upgrade. Not sure why. I've turned the setting off, then on, rebooted, nothing. 8.1 broke it.

Allan Kaliel

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Have you enabled it for each notification individually.

Yes, I did find a fix though. At least temporarily. Shake your phone REALLY hard. Then vibration starts working again. Saw it in another thread on this forum. Thought it was a joke just to make a bunch of us look like fools, shaking our phones like crazy. And while I most certainly did, at least it fixed whatever was buggering it up.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I did find a fix though. At least temporarily. Shake your phone REALLY hard. Then vibration starts working again. Saw it in another thread on this forum. Thought it was a joke just to make a bunch of us look like fools, shaking our phones like crazy. And while I most certainly did, at least it fixed whatever was buggering it up.

That's mad.

Aydreeun

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Although this thread is a bit dated--I have a solution for the issue (for anyone searching for a fix now like I was).

When you change your text message tone to something other than the default, the notifications for text messages are then treated like a third party app. Henceforth, it gets the signature "triple" vibrate pattern like if it were a Facebook notification or a Snapchat.

To get the original and default single vibrate back, go to phone settings, then under the system header, choose "notifications+actions" and find "Messaging".
Be sure the slider is set to on for "show in action center". Be sure "show notification banners" is checkmarked. And then select "DEFAULT" in the dropdown menu for "Notification Sound". Then be sure "Vibrate" is checked.

This should revert the phone's behavior back to treating the messaging app like it should.

I had just changed my text message tone to a custom one, and when I received a text after the change, I noticed it vibrated three times like a third party app would. I hated it. I want to be able to differentiate what kind of notification my phone is alerting me of without having to glance at the screen every time. So I dug for a solution and this is it. No more scrambling for your phone in your pocket thinking you got a text when it was just an email or something trivial. :)

*this only applies to Windows 8.1
Can't say the settings are the same for anything older.

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There needs to be a setting area where you can customize your vibrate alerts. If Apple and Google can do it, I don't see why Microsoft couldn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium