Why Would They Eliminate App Exit Using Back Arrow Button on WP 8.1?

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Why would the Microsoft Windows Phone team choose to eliminate the ability to exit or close down an app by hitting the back arrow button with the 8.1 update? This isn't so much to complain as it is getting insight on the decision. I'm sure there was some logical reasoning behind it.

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Why would the Microsoft Windows Phone team choose to eliminate the ability to exit or close down an app by hitting the back arrow button with the 8.1 update? This isn't so much to complain as it is getting insight on the decision. I'm sure there was some logical reasoning behind it.

They didn't. Mine works exactly the same as before the update. Actually works better for closing IE.

CharlieBoy1894

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
There is a change actually. For example if you close facebook app, it will stay in multitasking unless you swipe it down. More like apple's style of suspending an app in the background.

jeffro02

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
When I hit the back arrow and leave an app, it no longer shows up in the multitasking view. To me, that indicates that the app is not suspended. Is that not how yours is working too?

unshavengarvit

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
When I hit the back arrow and leave an app, it no longer shows up in the multitasking view. To me, that indicates that the app is not suspended. Is that not how yours is working too?

To get to the multitasking view in wp8 you had to press and hold the back button rather than just pressing it once.

jeffro02

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
To get to the multitasking view in wp8 you had to press and hold the back button rather than just pressing it once.

I still have to hold the back button to get to the multitasking view. If I press the back button once, it backs me up a screen, just like it did in WP8.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Because it is the new behavior, and it is better, why?

- In the past, closing an app (back button or close button on multitasking view) means it will be reloaded when you open it again (from the app list or home screen), in short, it is "tombstoned".
- Now, the app is "domant" even is you press the back button, not tombstoned, and it will remain in the ram (not using CPU cycles), and it will resume faster (not "resuming" screen).

That's why the new behavior is better.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Because it is the new behavior, and it is better, why?

- In the past, closing an app (back button or close button on multitasking view) means it will be reloaded when you open it again (from the app list or home screen), in short, it is "tombstoned".
- Now, the app is "domant" even is you press the back button, not tombstoned, and it will remain in the ram (not using CPU cycles), and it will resume faster (not "resuming" screen).

That's why the new behavior is better.

I guess "better" is relative, but you're right, for those who don't want to close the app out, this "feature" in 8.1 is handy. I for one liked closing apps out as soon as I was done using them and if I wanted to suspend the app so that it wouldn't have to reload again once I went back to it, I simply wouldn't hit the back button, I would hit the Windows button. That's just me though.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I guess "better" is relative, but you're right, for those who don't want to close the app out, this "feature" in 8.1 is handy. I for one liked closing apps out as soon as I was done using them and if I wanted to suspend the app so that it wouldn't have to reload again once I went back to it, I simply wouldn't hit the back button, I would hit the Windows button. That's just me though.

Why do you like to "close" the app?

and you can close it using the multitask view.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Why do you like to "close" the app?

and you can close it using the multitask view.

Yeah, I know I can always close the the app using multitask view, was just more convenient hitting the back button, even though it really just shaves off milliseconds I suppose. I guess it really comes down to me being a creature of habit and i was used to closing it out using just the back button. Why do I like closing the app? I don't really like having things run in the background unless I have to. And I know I know...the app is suspended so it isn't running in the background per se....but dunno, just close the thing if you're not using it...

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I know I can always close the the app using multitask view, was just more convenient hitting the back button, even though it really just shaves off milliseconds I suppose. I guess it really comes down to me being a creature of habit and i was used to closing it out using just the back button. Why do I like closing the app? I don't really like having things run in the background unless I have to. And I know I know...the app is suspended so it isn't running in the background per se....but dunno, just close the thing if you're not using it...
You have to be at the point where the back button terminates the program, otherwise you're just going back several 'pages' and all you're doing is spamming the back button until it cant go 'back' anymore to terminate it. I for one find it annoying as hell to do that.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

It is only your perception, the app is not running in the background. And apps like Whatsapp (or facebook) have background tasks running even if you close the app.

Closing the app with back button only save the data from the app in the storage, but both implementations are the same, the app is not running in background.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Never used Android a day in my life actually. From Blackberry to Windows Phone and never looked back.

But there are not differences between "closing" and app (old back button function) and simply "sleeping" the app, well, there is a difference, closing the app translate in slower re-opening.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
But there are not differences between "closing" and app (old back button function) and simply "sleeping" the app, well, there is a difference, closing the app translate in slower re-opening.

I get it. Understood. Again, its more of a creature by habit type of deal and preference, not necessarily the "better" way of doing things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital