Lumia 1520 Problems after 8.1 Developer Preview

Fahad Aziz Khan

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 1520 Problems after 8.1 Developer Preview

Dear All,
here we will try to List down the problems we are facing after 8.1 Developer Preview update,
Please state the Problems with 1520 not with 8.1

here is my findings:

1) Screen sensitivity is still not fixed (some says hardware issue some says software/firmware)
2) While media volume is low (2 of 30) and during game playback if u try to increase Volume, u will see Static sound from speakers :s
3) WiFi strength is very week compare to WP8.0
4) speed is slow sometime - while switching back and forth to applications, it still shows Resuming....

Still finding more and will share with you
:)

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
1) This IS a firmware thing. Expect Lumia Cyan or some other updates from Nokia to fix this.
2) That shouldn't happen. Maybe some dirt got into the speaker
3) WiFi strength is the same as before. 8.1 made the WiFi icon to display signal strength in real time. Before it was static
4) All the "smoothness and loading" issues will be ironed out by the time of the official launch. There are still some bugs right now. This is normal.

Last edited:

Westoncreg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm experiencing the speaker deal too and mine is a replace I've had for four days now, I've also noticed that the processor doesn't run graphically intensive game very well right now either but the guy above me is correct it should be fixed with Nokia Cyan firmware

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
1) This IS a firmware thing. Expect Lumia Cyan or some other updates from Nokia to fix this.
2) That shouldn't happen. Maybe some dirt got into the speaker
3) WiFi strength is the same as before. 8.1 made the WiFi icon to display signal strength in real time. Before it was static
4) All the "smoothness and loading" issues will be ironed out by the time of the official launch. There are still some bugs right bow. This is normal.

May I ask what makes you so sure the screen issue is firmware related? It's been 6 months since this was released. If it was a firmware thing they should have fixed it by now. Or at the very least, not shipped out new 1520s with the same issue (like the recently released RM-938 variant).

Westoncreg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
May I ask what makes you so sure the screen issue is firmware related? It's been 6 months since this was released. If it was a firmware thing they should have fixed it by now. Or at the very least, not shipped out new 1520s with the same issue (like the recently released RM-938 variant).
Have you tried turning super sensitive touch off since this is my third Nokia Lumia 1520 and the third one without touch sensitivity issues and I always have super sensitive touch on

randy_c

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Mine is the battery driving me crazy with drainage issue and Nokia Mixradio doesn't recognize my music on SD card. I did do hard reset and re-install everything.

lunged

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My battery is still draining much faster after the update - at the end of the day, I have about as much battery as I had half way through the day before (I only had this phone a few days before 8.1).

The other issue is lag/stutter. The home screen often lags, apps lag while scrolling, IE lags... hopefully this gets fixed with an update. I'm a bit worried about it, TBH, because it doesn't seem to be too widespread.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried turning super sensitive touch off since this is my third Nokia Lumia 1520 and the third one without touch sensitivity issues and I always have super sensitive touch on

You've had 3 1520s and none have the issue? That's definitely encouraging. I don't own a 1520... partly because of the screen issues. According to the poll in this forum, 84% of 1520 owners have the issue. I do want to upgrade my 920 to a 1520 though but I feel like it's shooting myself in the foot if I do so before a fix is released.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have weaker WiFi connection/speed (pretty sure it's not the same as when I was on 8.0). Most importantly though, my LTE connection fluctuates and I find myself on H or H+ a lot where I used to have strong LTE connection/strength.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I don't have 1520 yet but on my 920 after going through the 8.1 update the volume is way louder on my unit. At level 3 on the phone its like 10 or more. I thought I had it on vibrate in court yesterday and it was actually on 1 for some reason and it boomed out when someone called me almost got in trouble..

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
After updating when I activate front camera the phone crashes. Some times it restarts sometimes it doesn't. Front facing camera was working find before so definitely software.

Fahad Aziz Khan

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

I have submitted the Phone to Nokia Care in Dubai and they Replaced the screen and re-calibirated the touch sensitivity but.......Still the same problem. so i am thinking it "May be" the firmware issue

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have submitted the Phone to Nokia Care in Dubai and they Replaced the screen and re-calibirated the touch sensitivity but.......Still the same problem. so i am thinking it "May be" the firmware issue

Thank you, good information. If it's firmware-related, I can only wonder why Nokia hasn't figured it out yet and pushed a fix after half a year.

Westoncreg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You've had 3 1520s and none have the issue? That's definitely encouraging. I don't own a 1520... partly because of the screen issues. According to the poll in this forum, 84% of 1520 owners have the issue. I do want to upgrade my 920 to a 1520 though but I feel like it's shooting myself in the foot if I do so before a fix is released.

Yeah the only reason I've had three so far is since the first one had its charging sapped on the first att post launch update (took 7hrs to charge) second one had half the screen covered in bright spots and the third one is perfect although that's how the second one started too.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the only reason I've had three so far is since the first one had its charging sapped on the first att post launch update (took 7hrs to charge) second one had half the screen covered in bright spots and the third one is perfect although that's how the second one started too.

Yeesh... ok back to being discouraged lol. Re screen sensitivity, do you also experience no problems while Glance Screen is turned on? Some believe that's the culprit.

zwuncki

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Here everything runs fine at the mo but one thing

- sometimes after a notification LOCKSCREEN STAYS ON AND DOESNT TURN OFF, a no-go because when not recognized soon enough battery is empty in no time

zwuncki

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site

I tried a totally new yellow one for two weeks and no issues at all. My old white L1520 had some and still has, not very often but it happens... Somehow i start to think it's a hardware issue (firmware/software was the same).

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried a totally new yellow one for two weeks and no issues at all. My old white L1520 had some and still has, not very often but it happens... Somehow i start to think it's a hardware issue (firmware/software was the same).

I think you're right, otherwise a fix would have been released ages ago. It could be the way the hardware and software interact... but if there's no software fix for that, then that's as good as being a hardware problem.

Ugh, so conflicted about getting one! Which is not like me at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb