Lumia 1520 Problems after 8.1 Developer Preview

GCrane1982

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have upgraded my Lumia 1520 to Windows 8.1, I have also observed the WiFi strength showing weak as compared to Windows 8. I also have a issue of power button response, Power buttom doesn't respond and I have to reboot the phone. This is happening frequently now!! any solution?? any one else has observed this problem?

The wifi icon in WP8 was a static icon which simply showed if wifi was on or off. With WP8.1 the icon is dynamic and will reflect the actual signal strength of the wifi connection similar to how the cellular connection works.

rajamass

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I did hard reset 4 days back, it cleared all my problems

I have huge battery drain issue over night, heating around camera hump, lag during unlocking etc

Now its fine, I suggest hard reset once after updating to 8.1

neitin

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I kind of agree do a hard reset and setup as a new phone 99% problems are gone, the recent touch update by Nokia also fixed the touch sensitivity issue for me.

OMAR KARDAME

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
in my 1520 camera not working at all, and hand some other issues with battery and apps not stable, then I down graded to 8, and tried again for 8.1 preview, now only problem is my camera not working, rest all are stable, at times noticed a little more heat than a regular on the back besides the camera. any ideas and thoughts how to make camera function?

thank you guys

sjgore

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Do you have steps outlined anywhere to downgrade back to Windows Phone 8.0? The update says once you update you can not go back... I have seen some talk about Nokia Software Recovery Tool FAQ - FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Nokia - UK

Does this work to downgrade? I have RM-940 - ATT (USA) Nokia 1520 16GB Black model.

Just Bing for "Nokia Software Updater for Retail". Download version 4.1.0, install it, then run it and plug your 1520 in. It's incredibly easy to use. I restored my 1520 back to 8.0 using it just the other day. No need to download any firmwares from dodgy sites, it downloads them straight from Nokia.

sjgore

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
On the contrary, I found that a hard reset actually made things worse.

I performed a hard reset on the day that 8.1 was first released, have had nothing but problems:
- It refused to come out of standby (pressing power button has no effect, the workaround of using the shutter button doesn't work most of the time either).
- Sometimes when I took the phone out of my pocket, the screen was blank but the device was still on (still warm). No response from any buttons.
- Most of the time when my device did unlock, it was just a black screen with "Loading..." or "Resuming..." displayed indefinitely.

So I restored back to 8.0 as above, ran for 48 hours without any issue whatsoever. Then I installed the 8.1 preview again, but this time didn't perform a hard reset. None of the original issues have returned.

It's just a theory, but I reckon a factory reset doesn't quite work properly.

Steve.

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Just Bing for "Nokia Software Updater for Retail". Download version 4.1.0, install it, then run it and plug your 1520 in. It's incredibly easy to use. I restored my 1520 back to 8.0 using it just the other day. No need to download any firmwares from dodgy sites, it downloads them straight from Nokia.

Thanks has any ATT RM-940 users ddone this with success from 8.1?

patbar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a problem with the camera automatically starting. It happens almost every day, regardless of what I'm doing with the phone. I could be playing a game, or browsing the internet, then suddenly the screen goes back for a second and the camera starts.

This never happened before the upgrade to 8.1, so I think it's related to the upgrade. Still, I seem to be alone with this problem...

zwuncki

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I still only have one big problem and it's getting worse.

Lockscreen won't shut down (into glance screen), consumes a lot of battery

And it's happening more often each day.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Recently, my Lumia 1520 has been acting up. When I wake the phone up by unlocking it, the phone comes up on a black "loading" screen or black "resuming" screen. Also I had a funky texting issue where my texts would go through but disappear on the message thread. I had to do multiple soft resets before it would fix.

This has been a chronic problem for me since the update. I pull it out of my pocket, push the power button, scroll up the splash screen and it will be all white with ....resuming.... going across the screen. Some times this happen while it is in my pocket and it will get extremely hot and I have to do a soft reset to fix it. I uninstalled Glance as I thought that was the issue but it persists. I've also noticed worse battery life since the update. I've noticed the Wi-Fi issue as well, though not very pronounced. I've also brought the phone out of sleep and the camera randomly launch.

It's been a more difficult than normal update for me. Still love the phone and am sure it will all sort itself, but this "resuming" thing is starting to really be annoying.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a problem with the camera automatically starting. It happens almost every day, regardless of what I'm doing with the phone. I could be playing a game, or browsing the internet, then suddenly the screen goes back for a second and the camera starts.

This never happened before the upgrade to 8.1, so I think it's related to the upgrade. Still, I seem to be alone with this problem...

You are not alone my friend. I have the same issue, though it has been happening a lot less recently.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
This has been a chronic problem for me since the update. I pull it out of my pocket, push the power button, scroll up the splash screen and it will be all white with ....resuming.... going across the screen. Some times this happen while it is in my pocket and it will get extremely hot and I have to do a soft reset to fix it. I uninstalled Glance as I thought that was the issue but it persists. I've also noticed worse battery life since the update. I've noticed the Wi-Fi issue as well, though not very pronounced. I've also brought the phone out of sleep and the camera randomly launch.

It's been a more difficult than normal update for me. Still love the phone and am sure it will all sort itself, but this "resuming" thing is starting to really be annoying.

I had the Wi-Fi issue when I first upgraded to 8.1, along with finicky LTE signal. I performed two hard resets and then now the phone wake up issue happens more often. I also notice the phone gets really hot when this is happening. I constantly check the battery meter because I think something is running in the background that is causing it but I turn most everything off for background accessibility. We'll see I there's an overall fix for these bugs on the 1520. For now I'm coping.

Mel 34

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
The wifi icon in WP8 was a static icon which simply showed if wifi was on or off. With WP8.1 the icon is dynamic and will reflect the actual signal strength of the wifi connection similar to how the cellular connection works.

Are you sure about this? Yesterday I did a speed test, with my phone, on my wifi before I updated to 8.1. The results were 40.45 mbps download, 5.42 mbps upload, and the ping was 32 ms.
I then did a speed test this morning because I'm having the same wifi issues as other people seem to be having. The results were 2.30 mbps download, 4.01 mbps upload, and the ping was 83 ms.
From the results im seeing this wifi issue is more a real problem vs just a wifi signal meter showing actual signal strength.

AngryCat39

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I have one problem , my " quiet hour " setting is gone , I couldn't find it in Settings or Notifications+actions setting .Soft reset doesn't help , hard reset does bring it back but after a few days , it dissapears again.

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure about this? Yesterday I did a speed test, with my phone, on my wifi before I updated to 8.1. The results were 40.45 mbps download, 5.42 mbps upload, and the ping was 32 ms.

I then did a speed test this morning because I'm having the same wifi issues as other people seem to be having. The results were 2.30 mbps download, 4.01 mbps upload, and the ping was 83 ms.

From the results im seeing this wifi issue is more a real problem vs just a wifi signal meter showing actual signal strength.

Yes. Irrespective of any other issues you send to be having with WiFi, the icon was a static on/off one.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Fahad Aziz Khan

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
1) If I dial a number e.g 058-9288882 and the number stored in contacts are like this " 00971589288882 " then dialer did not shows name of contact instead shows the 058-9288882.
(Android and iOS shows the Contact Name)

2) WiFi can be turn on on via Action center but Turning Off the WiFi it navigates to the WiFi settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte