Lumia 1520 Problems after 8.1 Developer Preview

1oldtimer

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have come across another isse:
When I use the back arrow it does not necassarly close the program as it did in 8.0. Now I have to hold the back arrow to make sure all windows are closed except the home scree. If I do not, my phone starts to get very, very hot around the camera lens and my battery life goes to crap real fast. I have reset my phone and started over fresh, but with the same results. And as stated on page 2, I still have the Wi-Fi issue being very weak compared to 8.0. Is anyone else having heat issues and apps not closing by using the back arrow?
Thank you,
Frank

jdbwizzard

May 12, 2014
Visit site
The only problems I have found has been:
1) Action shot on nokia camera closes as soon as I open it.(Firmware update should fix as it happened before and a firmware update fixed it)
2) Phone randomly reboots
Anybody else experience these issues?

RobinPaul

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
in my 1520 camera not working at all, and hand some other issues with battery and apps not stable, then I down graded to 8, and tried again for 8.1 preview, now only problem is my camera not working, rest all are stable, at times noticed a little more heat than a regular on the back besides the camera. any ideas and thoughts how to make camera function?

thank you guys

I still have problems with my NL920 that the camera is not working. It worked before but when I factory reset the phone due to battery drainage problems and than the camera refuses to open/work. Downgraded to 8.0 and camera works fine.

Video: 1drv.ms/1ll1QmE

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I did the recent update hoping to alleviate the few whacky problems I was having but to no avail.

• The camera still launches randomly
  • The phone has this weird ---resuming--- thing that happens when you put the phone to sleep causing it to eat battery and heat up quite a bit
  • It's slow to wake up (it will start the screen very dark then jump to full brightness)
  • Make/receive a phone call and putting the phone to your ear won't always make the screen go dark
  • Sometimes when you go to end the call randomly launches some other page and you have to tap the phone bar at the top to get the phone up so you can close it

Other than the phone heating up and having that stupid ---resuming--- thing going on, I can live with the other quirks, but I was really hoping this update would fix things for me. But, I chose to download the preview, it was bound to bite me eventually.

tanyet

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had several issues that are bugging me. Mainy with choppiness in scrolling (sometimes in the app list but mostly in apps that may not be optimized ). Even IE which is usually smooth as silk has been trembling a bit. It is also a pain to have to hit the volume buttons to make the music controls pop. And when they do they sit there for about half a second a then go away. They don't give you time to do anything. In fairness, this may have been this case in the earlier versions. I've only had the 1520 for a few days but these issues plus the annoying screen tap issue is making me pull my hair out.

mirzafida

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Dear 1520 Lovers,

I've got some bug after updating to WP8.1 (Developer Preview).
This bug is random, i don't have any idea to trigger this bug. Is about 3 times i got this bug in a month.
The bug is really annoying, the screen is not responding and the button also. I have to wait till the batteries runs out.

Check this video for detail :

1oldtimer

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I did the recent update hoping to alleviate the few whacky problems I was having but to no avail.

• The phone has this weird ---resuming--- thing that happens when you put the phone to sleep causing it to eat battery and heat up quite a bit
  • It's slow to wake up (it will start the screen very dark then jump to full brightness)

Other than the phone heating up and having that stupid ---resuming--- thing going on, I can live with the other quirks, but I was really hoping this update would fix things for me. But, I chose to download the preview, it was bound to bite me eventually.

If you have cortana pinned to your home screen, try unpinning it and see what happens. I have had the exact same issues and now they are gone. If I re-pin her then they start up again. ;( so sad because I like to keep her pinned)
I am begging to think that MOST of the issues are coming from having Cortana pinned to the home screen. May be wrong, but for sure the overheat and resume issues are directly related.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
If you have cortana pinned to your home screen, try unpinning it and see what happens. I have had the exact same issues and now they are gone. If I re-pin her then they start up again. ;( so sad because I like to keep her pinned)
I am begging to think that MOST of the issues are coming from having Cortana pinned to the home screen. May be wrong, but for sure the overheat and resume issues are directly related.

I just un-pinned this from my start so we'll see how well this works. This would not be an optimal fix for me as I enjoy having that on my start screen, but the ----loading---- thing is driving me absolutely crazy now.

Let me know if you have any further issues.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that Cortana is unfortunately the culprit in my ---loading--- issue when the phone is asleep. I un-pinned it from the start screen and haven't had an issue since, something that was actually happening up to 6 times a day on most days. So, while I no longer know how long my estimated drive is simply by looking at my phone, I'm at least finally getting good battery life and my phone doesn't start burning up in my pocket multiple times a day.

I'm sure it will get fixed in the final, but till then, she is on the bench.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that Cortana is unfortunately the culprit in my ---loading--- issue when the phone is asleep. I un-pinned it from the start screen and haven't had an issue since, something that was actually happening up to 6 times a day on most days. So, while I no longer know how long my estimated drive is simply by looking at my phone, I'm at least finally getting good battery life and my phone doesn't start burning up in my pocket multiple times a day.

I'm sure it will get fixed in the final, but till then, she is on the bench.

Don't forget that Cortana is beta.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget that Cortana is beta.

Absolutely understood. I take full responsibility for downloading the 8.1 preview knowing full well that things may go south in certain area's, and it happened to be with Cortana. Since unpinning from the start screen I have had zero issues with the phone.

The thing I always find funny is how I can be having a problem on my 1520 but most people are not having this same problem. Did my phone miss a few packets during download? Does my phone have a specific app installed that is incongruent with Cortana's needs? Did I not stand on the correct foot when I installed? It just always amazes me how things fall apart for some and not for others. But, as I said prior, I'm sure it will all get fixed in due time.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely understood. I take full responsibility for downloading the 8.1 preview knowing full well that things may go south in certain area's, and it happened to be with Cortana. Since unpinning from the start screen I have had zero issues with the phone.

The thing I always find funny is how I can be having a problem on my 1520 but most people are not having this same problem. Did my phone miss a few packets during download? Does my phone have a specific app installed that is incongruent with Cortana's needs? Did I not stand on the correct foot when I installed? It just always amazes me how things fall apart for some and not for others. But, as I said prior, I'm sure it will all get fixed in due time.

Why not go back to 8.0 and then install 8.1 clean on your phone.

Tendlya

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Did you solve this issue?
My 1520 is also acting weird and does not turn off the display after a notification or after connecting the charger. Its very random that I am not able to reproduce.
If anybody has a solution please post here. This issue is very annoying.

I still only have one big problem and it's getting worse.

Lockscreen won't shut down (into glance screen), consumes a lot of battery

And it's happening more often each day.

Trench Mouth

Banned
Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
May I ask what makes you so sure the screen issue is firmware related? It's been 6 months since this was released. If it was a firmware thing they should have fixed it by now. Or at the very least, not shipped out new 1520s with the same issue (like the recently released RM-938 variant).
I had this pesky screen sensitivity problem, the last firmware update prior to 8.1 fixed mine. I almost couldn't believe it. So far so good.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I had a nasty issue with the touch screen randomly pressing keys swiping etc. I dropped back to 8.0, I suspect its software hard resets makes it work fine. I sat the unit on table not touching it used to bounce onto bing, listening for a command or back button to see apps running.

returning to 8 solves this however I get odd moments - suspect a live tile like facebook (which updates to 8.1 with update) could be cause I'm not going to run it on 8 to see if this clears all my touch issue but under 8.1 I had definitely the bugs mentioned here.

hwalker84

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

• The camera still launches randomly
  • Make/receive a phone call and putting the phone to your ear won't always make the screen go dark
  • Sometimes when you go to end the call randomly launches some other page and you have to tap the phone bar at the top to get the phone up so you can close it

Having all these issues. The random camera launching is ultra annoying.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
This is my 1520, i try to get tec support from Nokia, but they said i can't have any in my country, i really don't know what to do, the warranty doesn't work becouse i bought it on ebay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLNtCtzwsOo

anybody having this problem?

that's what my phone was doing while on windows 8.1 is this true for you?
going back to windows 8 cured it. refer to my previous post (3-4 back in this thread)

ffontan

May 27, 2014
Visit site
My phone was doing exactly that after the most recent Windows Phone 8.1 Update (like 10 days ago or so). I used Nokia's software recovery tool to do a clean install of Windows Phone 8.0, then went through the upgrades to 8.1 a couple of days ago and so far it has been pretty good. It has gone a little crazy a couple of times but it wasn't nearly as annoying or did it go as crazy as that video (which is what my phone was doing before).

Two things people have suggested is:

1) Unpin Cortana's live tile from the home screen (that cured some crazyness for some people)

2) Do a software reset.

I have not done either one of these yet...but I'll try them and see if it cures anything.

The only thing is... I lost my temple run scores... :) Oh Well...

I have not done the hard reset yet because I need to back up the photos that I took during the weekend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs