Lumia 1520 Problems after 8.1 Developer Preview

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
The problem start when i install wp8.1, i thought that going back to wp8 was going to fix it, but i was wrong, the problem is still there in wp8
and that's my real lumia 1520 on the video.

ffontan

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Mi telefono estaba haciendo todas las mismas cosas que el tuyo. Cuando instale 8.0 y despues volvi a hacer el update a 8.1 se puso un poco mejor. Todavia hace algunas de esas cosas pero no es tan malo como antes.

Mine was doing all that stuff yours is doing before I downgraded back to Windows 8.0. After upgrading again to 8.1 is doing a little bit less of it.

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Mi telefono estaba haciendo todas las mismas cosas que el tuyo. Cuando instale 8.0 y despues volvi a hacer el update a 8.1 se puso un poco mejor. Todavia hace algunas de esas cosas pero no es tan malo como antes.

Mine was doing all that stuff yours is doing before I downgraded back to Windows 8.0. After upgrading again to 8.1 is doing a little bit less of it.

Ya lo intent?, fui una de las primeras cosas que hice, pero no funcion?, incluso ahora no lee la tarjeta sim, aunque antes si lo hac?a. Ya no se como arreglarlo, y nokia ni los operadores lo aceptan para arreglarlo.

ffontan

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Hice esto ayer...

1) Usando el Nokia Software Recovery Tool instale WP8.0 latest version

2) Comence como si fuera un telefono nuevo (no hice un recovery de mis apps ni nada de eso).

3) Instale el app de Developer Preview, baje los updates que hay que hacer hasta llegar a Windows 8.1.

4) Tan pronto hice el "upgrade" a WP8.1 y estuve seguro que no quedaban mas updates por hacer hice un "Software Reset". Vas a Phone Update y le das reset...tarda como 15 minutos.

5) Denuevo cuando pase por todo el "setup process" no hice un "recovery", lo instale como un telefono nuevo.

6) Lo primero que hice fue "Unpin" Cortana del "Home Screen".

7) Baje todas las aplicaciones que necesito y mis cuentas de email y todo eso... (como si fuera la primera vez que uso Windows Phone)

Hasta ahora no he tenido problemas, Te digo mas tarde si el telefono sigue actuando bien.

PS: BTW...si tienes un microSD card en el telefono asegurate que la borras completa y la formateas para que parezca nueva.

ffontan

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Translation (I was having similar problems to what's on the video above)

I did this yesterday:

1) Using Nokia's Software Recovery Tool I re-installed WP 8.0

2) I set up my phone as if it was a new one (did not recover apps or settings or anything).

3) Installed the Developer preview app and then did the subsequent updates in order to upgrade to WP8.1 Developer Preview

4) As soon as I was done upgrading to WP8.1 and made sure there weren't any updates left to do, I did a Software Reset

5) Again through the set up process I set it as a new phone not recovering anything.

6) Made sure Cortana wasn't pinned to the Home Screen

7) I downloaded all the apps that I needed one by one and set up my accounts and what not as if it was my first time using Windows Phone.

So far...after about 17 hours everything is looking good. Haven't had any issues. I will report if any issues surface later on.

PS: If you have a microSD card on the phone make sure you format it. Make everything about the phone seem brand new.

ffontan

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey after about a day or two my phone started acting crazy again. To recap, the craziness looked like if I was making random taps and presses on the touchscreen. Could happen at any time and it would be really crazy.

Something interesting happened though...Yesterday and Today my phone has acted perfectly normal.

Also...this craziness started after the Update to the developer preview that was pushed by Microsoft in Mid May...

Bernie Lobb

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Everything worked fine
Installed developer preview ; everything still fine
installed WP8.1 still everything fine
Installed first update ; everything fine except no camera or scanner apps work even after resetting the camera
reset to factory settings everything works again
went through the same process to see if update 2 (2nd June) makes any difference: still no camera

reverted ti WP8.0

I bought the phone unlocked in the UK but I notice in "about" it says Carrier CV Malaysia, could this be the problem?

Vincent McLaughlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that my microphones don't seem to pick up very little sound or none at all. I have to use a Bluetooth headset to use Cortona. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm not sure if it is hardware or firmware, but it is a bit frustrating, because I have to talk extremely loud when not using a headset on a call.

Bernie Lobb

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
If you look at my post about camera issues with 8.1 see if yours does the same I would be interested to know and also in settings/about , what your carrier info says. I am on EE in the UK but it says my carrier info is CV Malaysia.

Bernie Lobb

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
You can easily re-install your apps and games by logging into windows phone look at your account and there is a tab in the drop down that says something like view my purchase history.

Just make sure phone is connected to PC and click on each one that you want to re-install you don't have to wait for each install.

R0b3rtS

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Dear 1520 Lovers,

I've got some bug after updating to WP8.1 (Developer Preview).
This bug is random, i don't have any idea to trigger this bug. Is about 3 times i got this bug in a month.
The bug is really annoying, the screen is not responding and the button also. I have to wait till the batteries runs out.

Check this video for detail :
Lumia 1520 Screen Not Responding (Developer Preview 8.1) - YouTube

I got simular problems, each morning when i unplug my 1520 from the charger (usb or wireless plate) my phone works for a few seconds and then completely freezes as in the movie.
Does not respond at all, the only thing which i can do is a soft reset (vol_down+power).
The phone reboots and all works fine again, no problems the wholeday.

Problem returns the next morning when i charge it overnight...

Tried to reset, disable glance (have no cortana, i am outside us) try usb charching instead of wireless but cannot find the cause of these crashes.

Anyone an idea what could could this complete freeze?

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I got simular problems, each morning when i unplug my 1520 from the charger (usb or wireless plate) my phone works for a few seconds and then completely freezes as in the movie.
Does not respond at all, the only thing which i can do is a soft reset (vol_down+power).
The phone reboots and all works fine again, no problems the wholeday.

Problem returns the next morning when i charge it overnight...

Tried to reset, disable glance (have no cortana, i am outside us) try usb charching instead of wireless but cannot find the cause of these crashes.

Anyone an idea what could could this complete freeze?

Wow, i haven't been so upset over a smartphone so much since my old WP Lumia.

My issues in order:

ISSUE
Screen with automatic brightness increases so much after unlock that things are so bright and unreadable.
FIX
Lock and unlock again. Sometimes it still shows but will go away after a brief second or two.

ISSUE
Screen will go super dark after unlock.
FIX
Wait for it to jump back to normal brightness or relock and unlock again.

ISSUE
When talking to someone and you place them on speaker. It thinks your finger is your face/head and turns the screen off.
FIX
Keep on trying and hope for the best.

ISSUE
Screen on boot up looks like an old CRT on boot. All shaky and scrambled boot.
FIX
None

ISSUE
Internet Explorer hold down link does not have open in private tab option.
FIX
None, more of a feature release

ISSUE
When on wifi that isn't internet available, your email systems start bugging out with random certificate alerts.
FIX
Turn off wifi

ISSUE
Screen will randomly start bugging out as if your pressing all the buttons at once and sometimes shake.
FIX
Lock and unlock your phone.

ISSUE
Internet explorer shows decode error in YouTube and other sites. Happens often when data signal is low.
FIX
Refresh internet explorer window

ISSUE
Internet explorer shows unsupported format on common videos. Go to southwest' own webpage in a plane, try to view any video. Happens everywhere it seems...
FIX
None

ISSUE
Background applications close when resuming
FIX
None

ISSUE
Videos will play even after backing out of Internet explorer. Long delay in close time.
FIX
None

ISSUE
When using the phone, the screen won't recognize your face and will thus start randomly pressing things on the screen.
FIX
None

Trench Mouth

Banned
Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Wow, i haven't been so upset over a smartphone so much since my old WP Lumia.

My issues in order:

ISSUE

Screen with automatic brightness increases so much after unlock that things are so bright and unreadable.

FIX

Lock and unlock again. Sometimes it still shows but will go away after a brief second or two.

ISSUE

Screen will go super dark after unlock.

FIX

Wait for it to jump back to normal brightness or relock and unlock again.

ISSUE

When talking to someone and you place them on speaker. It thinks your finger is your face/head and turns the screen off.

FIX

Keep on trying and hope for the best.

ISSUE

Screen on boot up looks like an old CRT on boot. All shaky and scrambled boot.

FIX

None

ISSUE

Internet Explorer hold down link does not have open in private tab option.

FIX

None, more of a feature release

ISSUE

When on wifi that isn't internet available, your email systems start bugging out with random certificate alerts.

FIX

Turn off wifi

ISSUE

Screen will randomly start bugging out as if your pressing all the buttons at once and sometimes shake.

FIX

Lock and unlock your phone.

ISSUE

Internet explorer shows decode error in YouTube and other sites. Happens often when data signal is low.

FIX

Refresh internet explorer window

ISSUE

Internet explorer shows unsupported format on common videos. Go to southwest' own webpage in a plane, try to view any video. Happens everywhere it seems...

FIX

None

ISSUE

Background applications close when resuming

FIX

None

ISSUE

Videos will play even after backing out of Internet explorer. Long delay in close time.

FIXdear god man, warranty!

None

ISSUE

When using the phone, the screen won't recognize your face and will thus start randomly pressing things on the screen.

FIX

None

rwcrossman

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The only issue I've had has been the resuming screen of death that some others have also had. It only happens infrequently but it is damn annoying. I do have Cortana pinned to the start screen I would hate to have to take her off it but I may have to to see if it fixes the issue as it has for some others in this thread. Has anyone unpinned her for a significant amount of time (ie a week or so) and had this solve the issue?

Eye D 10 T

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that unpinning Cortana will stop the resuming screen of death. I have a 1520. I'm assuming that this is a firmware update issue. Just unpin Cortana for now.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The only issue I've had has been the resuming screen of death that some others have also had. It only happens infrequently but it is damn annoying. I do have Cortana pinned to the start screen I would hate to have to take her off it but I may have to to see if it fixes the issue as it has for some others in this thread. Has anyone unpinned her for a significant amount of time (ie a week or so) and had this solve the issue?

Yes, unpinning fixed that issue for me. Then I re-pinned hoping it was an anomaly and the problem came back. Unpinned again and it went away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss