Do you use the Swype Keyboard?

Samm Neiland

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I had a friend who wanted an idea of how fast the Swype (though I think they call it Word Sense?) keyboard was, so I made a short video to kinda showcase it.

(yes, I am quite the fan of Daft Punk)

The one thing I'm impressed most about with Word Sense is how it does really well with even REALLY pretty complex and uncommon words. Like it was able to recognize when I swiped "colloquialism" which sorta blew my mind given how often would someone use a word like that in a text message?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I had a friend who wanted an idea of how fast the Swype (though I think they call it Word Sense?) keyboard was, so I made a short video to kinda showcase it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uEAwZyBZ3I

The one thing I'm impressed most about with Word Sense is how it does really well with even REALLY pretty complex and uncommon words. Like it was able to recognize when I swiped "colloquialism" which sorta blew my mind given how often would someone use a word like that in a text message?
I believe it's called WordFlow. But yeah, it's pretty awesome how it recognizes words that you don't exactly expect it to get. I also like how sometimes I can totally mess up and it will still have an idea what I meant to type.

FrodoBaggins

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Dunno if anyone else gets this but I tend to find that it completes words prematurely, I guess when you lift your finger accidentally for a split second, then you have to backspace and do it again. This is my only gripe, aside from that works like a charm.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uEAwZyBZ3I

Nicely done. I actually had a friend I was texting with ask me to slow down tonight lol

doctorpruette

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I have found that wordflow is the best new feature in 8.1. I have a 1520 and I can now write, email, text and blog to my hearts content. It took a few days of focus and a commitment to avoid the typing motion. I'm almost at 90% accurate where I would be closer to 50% with typing. There are now times I will swipe an entire paragraph and no corrections necessary. This makes the phone almost as accurate as a tablet. With the 1520 I now have the best of both worlds using word flow.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think people understand what Word Flow is. People keep saying Word Flow is new, but it's not. WF is the text suggestions above the keyboard.
For example.. The secrets of the Windows Phone 8 keyboard

What this thread refers to has 'swipe' keyboard is actually called Shape Writing. (as seen here: Shape-Writing Enhancements for Windows Phone - Microsoft Research )

And while i'm on the subject, Word Flow is awesome, LOVE IT. Shape Writing is ok, but I can type pretty fast with my thumbs. Often i'm not as fast with the Shape Writing.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Swype keyboard is one of my favorite new features on WP8.1

It surprises me how almost accurate it is.
I try unusual words like "loquacious" and "ludicrous" and it gets it.

And it's really fun showing it to my iphone friends and friends who've never use Swype.

Haha!

prasadbulusu

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I wish to. But when I want to type other language words in English script, the Pre-loaded words are definitely disturbing my flow. And I have a doubt.

How can I type a word having a letter twice consecutively like BETWEEN without using pre-loaded dictionary words. How can I stop there twice at the same time.

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

prasadbulusu

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Swype keyboard is one of my favorite new features on WP8.1

It surprises me how almost accurate it is.
I try unusual words like "loquacious" and "ludicrous" and it gets it.

And it's really fun showing it to my iphone friends and friends who've never use Swype.

Haha!

I wish to. But when I want to type other language words in English script, the Pre-loaded words are definitely disturbing my flow. And I have a doubt.

How can I type a word having a letter twice consecutively like BETWEEN without using pre-loaded dictionary words. How can I stop there twice at the same time.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think people understand what Word Flow is. People keep saying Word Flow is new, but it's not. WF is the text suggestions above the keyboard.
For example.. The secrets of the Windows Phone 8 keyboard

What this thread refers to has 'swipe' keyboard is actually called Shape Writing. (as seen here: Shape-Writing Enhancements for Windows Phone - Microsoft Research )

And while i'm on the subject, Word Flow is awesome, LOVE IT. Shape Writing is ok, but I can type pretty fast with my thumbs. Often i'm not as fast with the Shape Writing.

Really? I find the shape writing to be loads quicker and it is officially the quickest form of input having broken the world record recently.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Really? I find the shape writing to be loads quicker and it is officially the quickest form of input having broken the world record recently.

I think my problem comes from my typing abilities. I can type around 100 words per minute, but if you ask me to hen peck, i'm really slow at it. Shape writing kind of reminds me of hen pecking. I'm getting faster, but I can actually type really fast with two thumbs and since word flow learns the way you type, often all I have to do is type a letter or two to start and then just keep taping word flow suggestions. And speaking of 'suggestions', words like that seam very cumbersome to swipe. And anyway, I really doubt that swipe input is even half as fast as voice to text. I mean, not even 10% as fast, REALLY! WP has the best voice to text out there.

EDIT: I think the world record thing is for the fastest 'keyboard', not input method.

tanyet

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think the swipe keyboard is great but I'm tired of having to type my email addresses in every time. You would think that you could make remember email address but it doesn't treat it as a single word. Annoying.

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I've found that overall I can go much faster with the shape writing. I can type around 95-100wpm, but with most words it's faster with the shapes. Also, it allows me to write words very quickly holding the phone with 1 hand and holding a pen in the other.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I like wordflow (ex T9 predictive text input in old phones) but I like the swipe on 8.1 in fact was one of the features which missed from the android world,I have a Nokia Lumia 820 and I love this phone,the build quality and robustness of windows phone ,but I think also is co dependent of the language packages of wordflow,the times that wrote something in Spanish language with swipe in WP 8.1 worked ok I usually only write in English so sometimes do some texting Spanish (my main language) and worked fine ,for use fully swipe need to install the language packs of the language you frequently use

Sent from my RM-825_lta_lta1_488 using Tapatalk

Sam Wong

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Sure shape writing works better on small screen than big screen. It works perfectly on my 920... But a little difficult on my 1520...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99