Had to hard restart everything is gone

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Did the 8.1 preview..phone went ballistic a little while ago..i put it on the charger...it immediately started getting hotter and hotter...was up over 131 degree F..

Unplugged it..took 20 tries to get it to reboot..still was blistering hot..did a hard reset..and thought everything was going to come back on start up...nope...other than 13 apps..completely gone..

Checked the clouds..only my photos are there..no text..no contacts..no games..6 paid apps..including WP central..nothing else...

This really blows...

To say I'm a bit po'd...would be a understatement

Any suggestions?

Mac

meandu229

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Did the 8.1 preview..phone went ballistic a little while ago..i put it on the charger...it immediately started getting hotter and hotter...was up over 131 degree F..

Unplugged it..took 20 tries to get it to reboot..still was blistering hot..did a hard reset..and thought everything was going to come back on start up...nope...other than 13 apps..completely gone..

Checked the clouds..only my photos are there..no text..no contacts..no games..6 paid apps..including WP central..nothing else...

This really blows...

Any suggestions?

Mac
You paid apps will still be linked to your account, just find them in the store, they may still say buy but if you press buy it will realise you already have them bought and allow you to install, or in the new store tap the 3 dots and click my apps, that should show you a list of apps you have to reinstall. Also check your backup settings in the settings menu.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

This really blows...

Any suggestions?

Mac

If you had your texts and contacts backed up, they should repopulate soon.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Nothing repopulating..

Looks like I'm screwed for all my text massages

Will try to resync with Google..hopefully that will bring back most of the contacts and maybe my text...

I did get back 1paid app by going ahead and hitting purchase..didn't get the confirmation page so..that will work...but I hate trying to go through this with every app...since my account shows no apps

Mac

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I think a bit of reading and research would have saved your ****. A hard reset function is to completely bring the phone back to original status. A soft reset is often used to correct problems and it does not wipe nor reset your phone.

An above poster suggested that you check your backup settings so if you have to reset again, you won't lose anything.

Sorry this happened to you.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I think a bit of reading and research would have saved your ****. A hard reset function is to completely bring the phone back to original status. A soft reset is often used to correct problems and it does not wipe nor reset your phone.

An above poster suggested that you check your backup settings so if you have to reset again, you won't lose anything.

Sorry this happened to you.

Yes...a bit of research would have netted me a truer understanding of how to properly do things...if that information was readily available..but..since this was done because of what I did read here and folks doing a hard reset and having everything including the apps mms..contacts..be restored without issues..I went ahead and tried it.

Some things are supposed to work without fail..and cloud backups are 1 of them..especially when you are trying to recover apps from the store you purchased..BTW...I was wrong earlier...20 minutes after going ahead and clicking on the buy for one of them (WPCentrals app to be specific)..I got a e-mail notification that I was billed again...so this will have to be sorted out with the folks at Microsoft. I was lucky in that my SMS and contacts and older e-mail was saved by Google..since that is what I was using before making the switch over to WP...and most likely will continue...

So...I'm back to a fresh install of 8.1...we'll see how this works for a couple days..

I'll ask this...to recieve anymore updates or patches put out for this...will I have to sign up again for the DP since this is no longer on my phone? Or will they push a notification when one is available or I click on check for updates in the settings?

Thanks

Mac

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Yes...a bit of research would have netted me a truer understanding of how to properly do things...if that information was readily available..but..since this was done because of what I did read here and folks doing a hard reset and having everything including the apps mms..contacts..be restored without issues..I went ahead and tried it.

Some things are supposed to work without fail..and cloud backups are 1 of them..especially when you are trying to recover apps from the store you purchased..BTW...I was wrong earlier...20 minutes after going ahead and clicking on the buy for one of them (WPCentrals app to be specific)..I got a e-mail notification that I was billed again...so this will have to be sorted out with the folks at Microsoft. I was lucky in that my SMS and contacts and older e-mail was saved by Google..since that is what I was using before making the switch over to WP...and most likely will continue...

So...I'm back to a fresh install of 8.1...we'll see how this works for a couple days..

I'll ask this...to recieve anymore updates or patches put out for this...will I have to sign up again for the DP since this is no longer on my phone? Or will they push a notification when one is available or I click on check for updates in the settings?

Thanks

Mac

Hard and soft reset is on the web in many places. A simple Bing or Google search would have helped you a lot.

As for some things should work automatically; well yes, BUT. The cloud is limited to how much storage you have. A full backup probably would take most or all of the free 7GB that comes with the phone. Also, backups are not automatic; you still have to go and setup what, when and where these backup are handled.

Most of my lessons were learned the hard way so now I exhaust all options before I pull the plug.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Well I have done hard and soft resets before,so I had a good idea of what they are supposed to do.

The only issues I am having trouble with is migrating my contacts from my phone to outlook,and getting my paid apps back without having to pay for them again.

So far after the hard reset,(knock wood) battery life is back to normal with no overheating noticed, no lag on the power button,double tap works normal without issue...

Tomorrow the camera gets a work out,and if all goes well,then I will push my music back on it.

There has to be a way to move the contacts from the phone to the sim card.I'm hoping someone from Microsoft sees fit to put that back in on the final release, as well as a few other things.

Mac

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Well,things took a turn for the worse on mine.I'm certainly hoping once Nokia adds their firmware into this,that the issues on my phone goes away.

Mine locked up using the camera for some reason.It refused to work and crashed every time I tried to take a video. Photos worked on the automatic settings good enough,but video caused it to lock up .

After debating whether to continue on,I opted yesterday to go to our Microsoft store and have them restore to Win 8.0 on it. They tried the old you voided the warranty trick,but I prevailed upon them the phone isn't broken just the software and they flashed it back and watched me set everything back up.

ATT cs took care of the lost apps,and credited my account for them.Very nice lady I dealt with and pretty good folks at the store,even though I was told that there was nothing wrong with the DP..and they didn't offer to hard reset and reinstall it for me..if that was the case. I know each phone reacts differently and that I could have easily had a bad download,but will keep this stock for now until the public release.

I'm already missing Cortana action center and my transparent tiles,not to mention SD card support.Those are awesomeness right there.

I may try again when I get my nerve up,we'll see.

Mac

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Sorry the problems continued but glad you are back to a working phone. My ICON got really hot last night and I turned it off so it could cool down. It did and powered back up on it's on. I put it on the charger and this morning it was cool and charged up. I do notice now when I push the power button to wake up, it takes a few seconds to see the start screen.

Rest of my day will be spent doing a hard reset and reloading my apps. Dagnabbit.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If you had your texts and contacts backed up, they should repopulate soon.
After you do a hard reset and starting the setup, it will ask you AFTER you type in your live ID if you want to restore (if you did a backup), If it does not do this (it did not do that to me one time), I would hard reset again and try again. I dont think there is a way to manually restore a backup once the phone is up and running...
Hard and soft reset is on the web in many places. A simple Bing or Google search would have helped you a lot.As for some things should work automatically; well yes, BUT. The cloud is limited to how much storage you have. A full backup probably would take most or all of the free 7GB that comes with the phone. Also, backups are not automatic; you still have to go and setup what, when and where these backup are handled.Most of my lessons were learned the hard way so now I exhaust all options before I pull the plug.
Backup on Windows phone 8.1 has a automatic option now, I believe it's set by default with it but, I am not 100% sure but, you can manually back it up. If you are going to hard reset, I would go into backup and hit "backup now" get your latest settings and texts, and copy all the data out when you connect to a PC (backup all those folders, pictures, videos, ring tones, etc).

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Well I have done hard and soft resets before,so I had a good idea of what they are supposed to do.

The only issues I am having trouble with is migrating my contacts from my phone to outlook,and getting my paid apps back without having to pay for them again.

So far after the hard reset,(knock wood) battery life is back to normal with no overheating noticed, no lag on the power button,double tap works normal without issue...

Tomorrow the camera gets a work out,and if all goes well,then I will push my music back on it.

There has to be a way to move the contacts from the phone to the sim card.I'm hoping someone from Microsoft sees fit to put that back in on the final release, as well as a few other things.

Mac

If you had 8.1, on the store, you just visit "my apps". All 837 of mine installed were listed. You can mass select to install the ones you want quickly and easily without ever being prompted to "buy" them again.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Mine wasn't. That's another reason I tend to believe I didn't have a full download of it.

I may give this another try just to see if my gut feeling is right.

Mac

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss