I am loving windows phone 8.1. Are you?

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I also want to add, 8.1 Nokia 1520, zero issues. Battery Life is great. Everything works as it should. Very Very Very good update.
This update kept me from taking the phone back on day 14. Keeping it. I wish I had G+ and a starbucks app, but I can use those on my LG G2.
Love 8.1 and everything it brought to the WP OS. Great Job Microsoft.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm really enjoying WP8.1 never saw the appeal of the notification centre but its awesome.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
To be honest,
I like WP8.1. It's AWESOME and exciting.

But their are some very important features which I was expecting in WP8.1 and few things which I was expecting to be fix in WP 8.1.
and WP devs also made some foolish adjustment(like photo gallery which was perfect in WP8 but hate it in WP8.1)

So, I have a mixed feeling towards WP8.1.:unhappy: :smile:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1 is great. Especially Cortana. I've been using her more and more for doing searches. My wife is kind of jealous. She has a GS3 and her Google Now is not as accurate or fast. There are some things that still need some work though; like WiFi "geofencing" and email attachments (other than photos). Otherwise, a HUGE improvement. Now, it will be interesting what Nokia does with its Cyan update (for us Nokia users).

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I am...

not loving it.

I will be seriously considering jumping ship to iPhone for the first time once the iPhone 6 comes out. They made so many dunderheaded decisions and have lost their way in their quest to turn this into Android-lite. I am extremely happy I didn't update my 928, I only updated my 520, which now lags and glitches like a typical crap low-end Android phone, and has the complete lack of intuitiveness and intelligence in the design decisions that Android is known for.

Been on board since the beginning of WP and have never been so disappointed. :(

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Overall I like it, though I didn't at first. I would like the option to be able to hide some of the details on the status bar at the top so it appears like it did before. Of course it could still show the full amount of info when swiped i.e. when bringing up the notification center. I agree with the above a bit here, seems to have been done this way to make Apple/Android converts feel a little more at home.

I do like the transparent tiles, but I don't like that all my games are now bundled in with my general apps.

I like the notification center, but it wasn't really necessary. Live tiles and lock-screen notifications worked fine for me.

Glance is broken on my handset, can't uninstall, can't re-install. Trying to open Glance just results in a black screen. Despite uninstalling Glance and not being able to re-install it, the glance backgroud still works for a while if I reboot my handset, though obviously I can't get into it to change anything. At some point during the day though Glance stops working until the next reboot. I guess I'll have to wait for Nokia's new firmware to sort this one out.

Battery life was a lot worse initially, but after changing the email settings as mentioned in another thread on wpcentral, it seems to have improved significantly.

I don't like not having Cortana, but it will come at some point so not overly fussed.

No game notifications anymore, for me at least.

Overall, I like it, but the change that has made the biggest difference for me lately that I really like is LockMix. It has allowed me to populate the lock-screen with some quite useful extra info.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I'm digging the mess out of my Lumia 920. Word Flow, notification, quiet hours and even Cortana. The reminder proximity feature came in handy a few times. I need word flow on my tablet real bad.

redserpent7

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Overall I like it, though I didn't at first. I would like the option to be able to hide some of the details on the status bar at the top so it appears like it did before. Of course it could still show the full amount of info when swiped i.e. when bringing up the notification center. I agree with the above a bit here, seems to have been done this way to make Apple/Android converts feel a little more at home.

I do like the transparent tiles, but I don't like that all my games are now bundled in with my general apps.

I like the notification center, but it wasn't really necessary. Live tiles and lock-screen notifications worked fine for me.

Glance is broken on my handset, can't uninstall, can't re-install. Trying to open Glance just results in a black screen. Despite uninstalling Glance and not being able to re-install it, the glance backgroud still works for a while if I reboot my handset, though obviously I can't get into it to change anything. At some point during the day though Glance stops working until the next reboot. I guess I'll have to wait for Nokia's new firmware to sort this one out.

Battery life was a lot worse initially, but after changing the email settings as mentioned in another thread on wpcentral, it seems to have improved significantly.

I don't like not having Cortana, but it will come at some point so not overly fussed.

Overall, I like it, but the change that has made the biggest difference for me lately that I really like is LockMix. It has allowed me to populate the lock-screen with some quite useful extra info.

Can you post a link to the email thread that should fix the battery drain. I did not see that one

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Thank you! Thank you so much for mentioning LockMix. Just downloaded it. I really like it!

Maonsie

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm loving Windows Phone a lot right now. But I'm also loving that it looks like Microsoft is finally going to push for more unification across the spectrum.

Notification + action centre is so useful to have in conjunction with live tiles. I can see everything I need to see with a simple swipe down. My start-screen looks gorgeous and far more personalised with the transparent tiles. (Can't wait for new lock-screens to only make it more personal.) Having an extra column of tiles on my 920 makes it feel so refreshing.

I know that WP7, and WP8 to an extent, were pushed with the hub system in mind. But what we're seeing, is the natural progression forward.

Social apps integrate themselves directly into the new people, and photo apps. This allows for support, and rapid store updates. As well as Cortana to tie into them with future updates I'm assuming. People is now mainly a contacts app, with updated room support and a social aggregate of news. I could see Instagram feeding into this for example, along with other social apps that were baked into the OS in the past. And I like that change. A photo hub, in my opinion, was redundant. What we have now amounts to a gallery to view locally stored pictures and pictures from other apps that integrate: OneDrive, Facebook and the Twitter beta being examples that currently do this. Once again, more apps can share this functionality.

Music & Video has been split into independent apps which will be updated in time. But also allow for more interaction with Windows 8 and Xbox counterparts. However, for me right now, they both work fine. They're beta apps. I would love to see Xbox Music recognise the other instance I have running on my Surface for example and mimic it. Or Xbox Video to associate itself with my Xbox One, and play media respectively.

Xbox and stand-atone games existing in the app list cos they're apps. This makes the Xbox games app itself an app that I can see tying directly into Windows and Xbox. Would love to see something equivalent to Smart Glass for the PC. And just bake Smart Glass for the Xbox One/360 into the app itself.

Cortana is going to be huge. I cannot wait for the day that my Windows Phone, Tablet, PC and Xbox all have Cortana running, and listening to me at all times. She's amazing right now. She's going to change how all of the devices interact, as well as interact with other technology.

I love having my phone projected on my PC and Surface. Makes me anxious for the day that I'll literally have my display pop up independently, and can associate actions across my devices directly ( similar to the Microsoft Research team member's video showing a Windows app pushed to his Windows Phone.)

My phone runs great with the developer build as well. Haven't had a single glaring issue appear. Though, I am in the US and have full access to all features, and I'm impressed greatly. Bing taking my interests and associating them with Cortana, and vice versa. (However, I would love to see the actual Bing apps I have, be where she pulls sources from. News for example, have a Guardian source; she should use it.)

Microsoft is moving the Windows Phone into the new one Microsoft ecosystem. There's a lot to love about the direction Microsoft is heading with not only Windows Phone, but everything else. 8.1 is a transition, a step. And I love it.

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Can you post a link to the email thread that should fix the battery drain. I did not see that one

Basically change from the default of ' depending on usage' or whatever it is for the sync schedule, to whatever you had it on previously-even as items arrive seems to be better for me.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

anon8482767

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Are u guys getting the app list bug? I mean, when you are in any app and press the start button, you see the app list on the right side of the screen for a quick mini second before the Live Tiles take over. I think its pretty annoying.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Well this is an developer preview. Not an finalized version. So we can expect some fixes to known issues before 8.1 goes public.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk for wp

Moonbase0ne

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes. I'm loving the new features. I'm surprised so much was missing

And Cortana works pretty great. It's the first voice assistant that I use regularly on my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos