8.1 - Vibrate missing with texts?

Emcee

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
First of all, the vibrate overall is now incredibly weak. More importantly, though, my phone doesn't even vibrate when I receive a text. I have Vibrate enabled, my ringer + notifications volume set to zero, and vibrate enabled under Messaging...yet nothing.

I'll probably end up doing a hard reset if I can't figure it out, but I'm hoping someone else has a fix.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I have it and my vibrate is the same as before. Try a reboot, don't reset right away. If it doesn't help, try to download a new Keyboard or Speech and then install it to force reboot. That should DEFINITELY help.

Emcee

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have it and my vibrate is the same as before. Try a reboot, don't reset right away. If it doesn't help, try to download a new Keyboard or Speech and then install it to force reboot. That should DEFINITELY help.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and did a full reset and no dice.

I can actually hear the motor, but the phone doesn't vibrate at all. It's peculiar. I think I'll stop by the MS store tomorrow.

Emcee

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So I used Nokia's recovery software to roll back to 8.0 and vibrate still didn't work, so this all appears to be a coincidental hardware failure. I'm 6 mos out of warranty, too. :cry:

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
That's unfortunate. Contact a local repairman to ease up on the money or take it to Nokia care or your Carrier. (The repair system of US confuses me, why would a carrier repair your phone? :straight:)

Badidas

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue with my 920 after installing 8.1. I'm not exactly sure when it started, but like you I hear the motor but no vibration.

Badidas

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Update: Vibration is now working for me again with 8.1 still installed. I turned off battery saver, turned off vibration, did a soft reset (volume down + power for 10 seconds). It is now vibrating like a champ again. For some reason this feels like a hardware issue still, but it's working for now.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
That's unfortunate. Contact a local repairman to ease up on the money or take it to Nokia care or your Carrier. (The repair system of US confuses me, why would a carrier repair your phone? :straight:)

Short answer is that the Carrier sells us the phone. Many of the larger corporate owned stores have techs on site who can disassemble & repair your phone (for free) while you wait. (Unless its Apple...then they can't touch it, and you have to pay to have it shipped back to them. Customer's love that...)

If they can't repair, but confirm its a defect, you usually walk out with a replacement right then and there.

You do have to be under warranty though for all that to happen...if its not under warranty, you're out of luck.

Allan Kaliel

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Vibrate stopped working for me when I went to 8.1 as well. Capactive keys won't vibrate either. Trying Badidas' method. Will update.

UPDATE: Didn't work :(

UPDATE 2: Found a weird solution. I gave it a really really good shake. And the vibration started working again, but after a little while it stopped. At which time I gave it another shake. So this seemed to work, for a bit.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro