08-21-2014 10:38 AM
218 12345 ...
tools
    There is no indication that MS hoped to avoid this. They made this Dev program extremely easy to sign up to, and publicized it and made it unlimited.
    This.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-18-2014 09:31 PM
    Are you using 512MB RAM device?
    I missed this post yesterday, but no, I'm on a Lumia 525.

And even on devices with 512 MB RAM, this shouldn't happen now if it didn't happen back in WP8. Lack of RAM is not an excuse.
    04-18-2014 10:08 PM
    Phonearena.com opens nicely for me? Ie11 does have quirks like not properly interacting with drop down menus that are not optimized for touch. So annoying like school websites and fancy cupcakeries, lol.
    MikeSo likes this.
    04-18-2014 10:18 PM
    Has to be among the worse ideas since the McRib. Take a released version of a browser and pit it against a browser that isn't even beta, its a developers preview for crying out loud. Then go on to proclaim this is a fair challenge and encourage others to come to the same conclusion using the same set of parameters. Not science.
    04-18-2014 11:58 PM
    Has to be among the worse ideas since the McRib. Take a released version of a browser and pit it against a browser that isn't even beta, its a developers preview for crying out loud. Then go on to proclaim this is a fair challenge and encourage others to come to the same conclusion using the same set of parameters. Not science.
    When are you people going to learn? It's not a beta, and it's certainly not pre-beta. It's the final build that's sent to OEMs.
    Of course, there will be overall performance improvements when the OEMs come up with firmware updates specific to their devices, but IE is not going to change unless MS releases an update. I hope they do, but that doesn't mean the current version is a beta.
    04-19-2014 12:38 AM
    When are you people going to learn? It's not a beta, and it's certainly not pre-beta. It's the final build that's sent to OEMs.
    Of course, there will be overall performance improvements when the OEMs come up with firmware updates specific to their devices, but IE is not going to change unless MS releases an update. I hope they do, but that doesn't mean the current version is a beta.
    ROTFLMAO
    Final build. Keep believing that.
    link68759 and myoujin like this.
    04-19-2014 01:14 AM
    Sadly much of the mobile web is coded to webkit proprietary garbage rather than actual IE supported W3C standards. Mostly because Google refuses to build some of those standards into chrome. I blame the website owners for most issues I have with IE.
    04-19-2014 01:20 AM
    ROTFLMAO
    Final build. Keep believing that.
    Development continues on Windows Phone 8.1; final build expected April 14th - Neowin

The ‘final build’ from last week, combined with the more recent Final Adaptation Kit, will form the ‘real’ gold code for the OS – referred to as the snappily named ‘Windows Phone 8.1 QFE1 Final Adaptation Kit Build’ – which Microsoft will seed to its OEM partners. This code should be in the hands of manufacturers on April 14, before its rollout to existing users begins later this month through the Windows Phone Developer Preview.
    You have no idea how this works, do you?

When MS finishes the final build, they send it to OEMs, and then the final release dates on their devices are upto them. The sole purpose of the Preview for Developers program is to bypass this, and for MS to let users get the update directly without waiting for OEMs and carriers.

The only beta software in the current release is Cortana, and that's why it's specifically mentioned as a beta while nothing else is.
    A895, ilektrolo, Xpider_MX and 1 others like this.
    04-19-2014 01:22 AM
    hahaha ... android users are also very annoyed by the slow and sluggish google chrome , it even lags on galaxy s4 .... ie11 is way better
    I have iOS, android and windows phones. None of what you said is even remotely true. You do sound more like an iCultist though, so not surprised by the comments.
    I love my 1520, but IE still needs work to catch up with Google and Chrome. But IE is getting there. Slowly.
    04-19-2014 01:57 AM
    Say you load a very long article, and start reading it. In the middle, you want to do something else, so you press the Start button and get to a different app, leaving IE behind. Once that's done, you get back to IE.
    In WP 8, the long article you were reading would be waiting for you exactly where you stopped reading, no matter how long you spend outside.
    But in WP 8.1, if you spend even 15 minutes with the phone locked on the start screen without opening any other apps, as soon as you get back to IE, the page will reload. Now this itself is okay, but the problem is that when this happens, most of the time, the page will go back to top, and you will lose the point where you were last, which is a great annoyance for some of us who read large texts on the phone's browser.
    And if reading mode were to be on when switched to the start screen, chances are that the page won't load at all when you get back, leaving you with a blank screen, forcing you to exit reading mode and refresh manually.
    Chrome in iOS does this as well and much worse. IE in WP8 is better in this regard. I don't know about Chrome in Android though.
    04-19-2014 02:07 AM
    acewing905, hehe I think you should have labeled your thread IE 11 issues rather than an Android comparison so you can get better replies from some fanboys LOL!
    ilektrolo likes this.
    04-19-2014 02:11 AM
    Dodging concerns over WP's capabilities will only harm the platform. Such attitude won't help to improve platform. Same thing happened to many when they wanted a file manager and some apologetics countered them by using arguments like why do you need it.
    Last edited by vish2801; 04-19-2014 at 03:17 AM.
    thatdennis and monso0n like this.
    04-19-2014 02:23 AM
    acewing905, hehe I think you should have labeled your thread IE 11 issues rather than an Android comparison so you can get better replies from some fanboys LOL!
    Isn't my thread. I was just responding to people who keep on bringing up the "beta" excuse.
    A895 likes this.
    04-19-2014 02:25 AM
    I wish when poster states comparisons in this thread, please state what hardware they refer to.... ie is it flagship vs flagship (IE11 on a L1520 vs Chrome on flagship Android) or low-end L520 vs some landfill android....
    ​geez be specific....
    All these generalisation goes nowhere
    myoujin and Xpider_MX like this.
    04-19-2014 02:58 AM
    I just tried phonearena.com & it loads fine on my ICON with 8.1 no crashes, no sluggishness....
    04-19-2014 03:59 AM
    1. IE 11 still can't open sites which open with pop ups.
    It's quite annoying that WP IE 11 can only open sites which doesn't have pop's just like old JAVA or S40 phones.
    Come on MS, it's 2014 a smartphone era and IE 11 still sames level as old phones now.
    > It's 2014
    > Pop-up windows

I lol'd.
    gmlongo and myoujin like this.
    04-19-2014 04:03 AM
    There is no indication that MS hoped to avoid this. They made this Dev program extremely easy to sign up to, and publicized it and made it unlimited.
    And you accepted the agreement, did you? Even if it's extremely easy to sign up, it still has an agreement that you have to accept. You have your full right to not install this Preview Developer and keep waiting for Official Release. But then you accepted the term and installed it. Don't say as if Microsoft lured you or forced you to do so.

I don't say that IE11 in this preview is Beta or not. But to answer OP's statements:
    1) Like most of people here, I can open PhoneArena.com fluidly at ease without any issue (L920)
    2) Like most of people here, after resuming to IE, IE point me to the point that I left before (unless I wait 15' or so)
    3) Please provide your popup website so we can test it together

But I see your problem, the problem is because of Tombstoning mechanism. A deactivated app will have to save "state" and turn to sleep after a specific time of deactivation. When user access to that app again, that app will load that "state", in this scenario it'll reload your previous URL. That's how the phone handles memories without "giving" too much to apps, also the reason of "bad" multitasking compare to Android (and better memory control. Don't tell me otherwise, I'm also using an Android and it'd lag like hell if I didn't close opened apps. If you're using a Windows PC with many softwares open and run at the same time you can see it in task manager).

I believe iOS also uses this Tombstoning to control app's memories. Their timespan is 10' (if my memory didn't deceive me)

P.S: Of course I don't know if they can store position of webpage into Tombstone state or not. But if it's existed in WP8, I believe there's a reason for them to remove it in WP8.1.
    Jazmac and myoujin like this.
    04-19-2014 04:12 AM
    What I don't understand about IE11 is why on Desktop setting it sometimes shows Mobile sites versions?
    04-19-2014 05:07 AM
    Isn't my thread. I was just responding to people who keep on bringing up the "beta" excuse.
    Ooops my mistake. But I am with you and the T.S. with regards to issues that should be addressed.
    04-19-2014 05:21 AM
    Can the IE app update separately through the windows app store like the new music and game app? Microsoft will probably continue to update IE if that's the case.
    04-19-2014 05:34 AM
    What I don't understand about IE11 is why on Desktop setting it sometimes shows Mobile sites versions?
    The website must have "Responsive Web Design" which resizes the page for the screensize instead of browser
    SergeMcG likes this.
    04-19-2014 05:35 AM
    If that the case Android never reach 80% market share. That means what you said is wrong.
    I think Android is a great OS and very fast and fluid(based on experience on Moto G, Samsung Galaxy Note 2)
    In a speed test with my friends phone Moto G beat L1520(WP8) in basic function. You can test it.

and Google Chrome is a very good browser because it's fast, fluid and do much more than what an IE can do.

If you didn't notice all WP is doing is to catch up with Android.
    test your NL1520 against that moto and that note a year from now, see which phone will be faster then. Androids start our really really good, but after a year or so of usage start crawling and lagging cause of all the bloatware. This is strictly based on personal experience and that of my friends
    Last edited by borasar; 04-19-2014 at 08:48 AM.
    raycpl and myoujin like this.
    04-19-2014 08:01 AM
    Ok!
    Here lots of user telling me that Phonearena work just fine.

Try this
    Scroll to down and open last article then go back and scroll to up and open first article.
    try this for 2 to 3 times.

In 90% of cases IE crashes in phone.
    But
    It may be possible that I am only one who is facing this issue.

and thanks acewing905
    I forget to mention reloading issue.
    04-19-2014 10:42 AM
    Ok!
    Here lots of user telling me that Phonearena work just fine.

Try this
    Scroll to down and open last article then go back and scroll to up and open first article.
    try this for 2 to 3 times.

In 90% of cases IE crashes in phone.
    I tried this 10 times. Open site, scroll down, open last article, back, open the first. repeat 10 times. no crash.

Using a lumia 1020 and WP 8.1
    04-19-2014 11:30 AM
    I have L 620.
    Can anyone having 512MB RAM device test that?

In my phone it crashes very often even now. (sometime IE shows Resuming before crashing)
    04-19-2014 12:02 PM
218 12345 ...