IE 11 (WP 8.1) vs. Google Chrome.(Android)

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
IE 11 improves a lot but still not as good as Chrome in Android.

Today I was comparing IE 11 with by brothers Android phone.
I am not going to talk about speed here but the things IE can't do but Chrome can do.

1. IE 11 still can't open sites which open with pop ups.
It's quite annoying that WP IE 11 can only open sites which doesn't have pop's just like old JAVA or S40 phones.
Come on MS, it's 2014 a smartphone era and IE 11 still sames level as old phones now.

2. IE in WP8.1 still crashes like WP 8 when we open heavy sites. I notice IE 11 very often crashes and struggle to open sites like Phonearena.com but Chrome easily open and very fluidly works without any crashes.

If anyone of you have Android phone you can confirm it your self.

I don't know if IE for WP8.1 is still a beta or a stable version but it still needs lots of improvement.
I thought MS is going to fix this in next update but they didn't.
I think these are pretty basic thing that a good browser must do.
What you guys think?

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
1. IE 11 still can't open sites which open with pop ups.
no pop up blocked needed for windows phone then
2. IE in WP8.1 still crashes like WP 8 when we open heavy sites. I notice IE 11 very often crashes and struggle to open sites like Phonearena.com but Chrome easily open and very fluidly works without any crashes.
reading everything inside the HTML with very long code/failed/broken code will crash it. Why?
because microsoft using FOR loop and WHILE loop to read through all things and break all things, it will open it faster.
idk about chrome but i think they break loop once timer out
I don't know if IE for WP8.1 is still a beta or a stable version but it still needs lots of improvement.
beta

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
hahaha

You didn't answer about pops sites.
try it yourself then you know.
If you open pop ups sites in IE it will redirect you to ads not the website.

Isn't this annoying.

and thanks for answering me that it's beta version.

Apoorvdec

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
hahaha ... android users are also very annoyed by the slow and sluggish google chrome , it even lags on galaxy s4 .... ie11 is way better

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
hahaha ... android users are also very annoyed by the slow and sluggish google chrome , it even lags on galaxy s4 .... ie11 is way better

If that the case Android never reach 80% market share. That means what you said is wrong.
I think Android is a great OS and very fast and fluid(based on experience on Moto G, Samsung Galaxy Note 2)
In a speed test with my friends phone Moto G beat L1520(WP8) in basic function. You can test it.

and Google Chrome is a very good browser because it's fast, fluid and do much more than what an IE can do.

If you didn't notice all WP is doing is to catch up with Android.

tardismatrix22

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
If that the case Android never reach 80% market share. That means what you said is wrong.
I think Android is a great OS and very fast and fluid(based on experience on Moto G, Samsung Galaxy Note 2)
In a speed test with my friends phone Moto G beat L1520(WP8) in basic function. You can test it.

and Google Chrome is a very good browser because it's fast, fluid and do much more than what an IE can do.

Why would you ask for thoughts, if you aren't going to let people state their opinions? At least without contradicting every opinion they have?

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Why would you ask for thoughts, if you aren't going to let people state their opinions? At least without contradicting every opinion they have?

because I like to discuss and discussion goes by agreeing and disagreeing.
and

thanks! for suggestion. I'll keep this in mind.

Last edited:

anon(5352534)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not being negative here but Chrome is definitely lightyears ahead of ie11 (at least for phones). Sometimes I wonder why Chrome is so much faster and more fluid than IE on the same hardware. I mean it should be slower because of all the background spying and poorly optimized android OS.

PaNiXx

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I could really care less what browser works best. What I really care about is the ability to choose what browser I want to use. Speed isnt the most important factor for me. Features are. I wish WP would allow other browsers such as Chrome or Firefox.

Apoorvdec

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

why are you comparing high end phones .. compare lumia 520 with galaxy core ... android is a processor and ram hungry os it even lags on an octa-core phone(galaxy s4) i have seen it ... a day will come when phones will have more ram and processor than pcs and then also android will lag !!

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
why are you comparing high end phones .. compare lumia 520 with galaxy core ... android is a processor and ram hungry os it even lags on an octa-core phone(galaxy s4) i have seen it ... a day will come when phones will have more ram and processor than pcs and then also android will lag !!

why you are comparing old devices.
Compare it with Moto G.
Recent devices and faster and fluid than anything else in the budget under $348.

anyway it's not a decision between Android and WP
It's IE vs. Chrome.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

First of all, high marketshare does not equal high quality, so that argument is invalid. Second, if Android/Chrome is so much better for you, than why bother with Windows Phone at all?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I will say Chrome has had it`s share of ups and downs. When Chrome was first available on Android, it was slow, laggy POS. It still can be sometimes. It has gotten better in recent iterations, but the Chrome Beta browser is much better and it receives a lot more updates. IE 11 on the other hand is beta and probably will have some kinks worked out in the final OS OTA update. If anything I think they should make IE available on the app store so it can continues to get updates regularly like Google does.

acewing905

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
no pop up blocked needed for windows phone then

reading everything inside the HTML with very long code/failed/broken code will crash it. Why?
because microsoft using FOR loop and WHILE loop to read through all things and break all things, it will open it faster.
idk about chrome but i think they break loop once timer out

beta
What on Earth are you talking about?

And where does it say that IE 11 is beta? (I may have missed this.)

Either way, IE 11 feels like a step back from the previous IE 10 which I actually liked, except for the file picker which the latter lacked. The constant page reloading thanks to microsoft's new memory management thing is the worst problem, which renders things like the reading mode useless sometimes.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

you are a number guy so you should know that IE has more market share than Chrome

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
What on Earth are you talking about?

And where does it say that IE 11 is beta? (I may have missed this.)

Either way, IE 11 feels like a step back from the previous IE 10 which I actually liked, except for the file picker which the latter lacked. The constant page reloading thanks to microsoft's new memory management thing is the worst problem, which renders things like the reading mode useless sometimes.
I'm of the opposite opinion. Except for that issue, and the fact that it seems to have problems with some sites, it's a big step forward. InPrivate, forward navigation, tabs from other devices, video playback, those are all huge improvements. They need to fix the bugs of course, but this is another case of something I'd miss if I went back to 8.0.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I've tested phonearena.com many times on my 8XT running 8.1, I have never once gotten a crash. I'm able to navigate the site just fine.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Guys windows phone is a developing OS....so guys who aren't happy with IE......dont worry it will get better with time.... Windows phone is more popular in terms of simplicity...and android in terms of features....so I dont thing comparing the two OS will finally have an end because each OS has its pros and cons.. I am not against anyone's opinion just a suggestion though😊

acewing905

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm of the opposite opinion. Except for that issue, and the fact that it seems to have problems with some sites, it's a big step forward. InPrivate, forward navigation, tabs from other devices, video playback, those are all huge improvements. They need to fix the bugs of course, but this is another case of something I'd miss if I went back to 8.0.
I don't really care about inPrivate since I don't intend to give my phone to other people to use, but I was unaware of forward navigation. This is possible now? That's pretty sweet. Now if only they managed to fix that constant reloading issue, I'd actually feel like using it more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos