IE 11 (WP 8.1) vs. Google Chrome.(Android)

anon(8504076)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Chrome on Android is by far the WORST browser experience on mobile browsing (Chrome for iOS was good before they f*cked it up) It's sluggish,unresponsive,slow and laggy (Both tablet and smartphone version) It doesn't even pinch to zoom properly If you want a decent browser on Android use the vanilla one or Firefox And also I think you didn't give IE a chance at all I've used almost any browser and have somewhat experience of IE (5-11) and I'm pretty sure Windows Mobile 5 had a better browsing experience than Chrome on Android

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't really care about inPrivate since I don't intend to give my phone to other people to use, but I was unaware of forward navigation. This is possible now? That's pretty sweet. Now if only they managed to fix that constant reloading issue, I'd actually feel like using it more.

Yes, you can swipe the screen to go back or forward, just like in Windows 8. Can you give an example of the reloading issue? I'm not sure I've experienced this.

acewing905

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you can swipe the screen to go back or forward, just like in Windows 8. Can you give an example of the reloading issue? I'm not sure I've experienced this.
Say you load a very long article, and start reading it. In the middle, you want to do something else, so you press the Start button and get to a different app, leaving IE behind. Once that's done, you get back to IE.
In WP 8, the long article you were reading would be waiting for you exactly where you stopped reading, no matter how long you spend outside.
But in WP 8.1, if you spend even 15 minutes with the phone locked on the start screen without opening any other apps, as soon as you get back to IE, the page will reload. Now this itself is okay, but the problem is that when this happens, most of the time, the page will go back to top, and you will lose the point where you were last, which is a great annoyance for some of us who read large texts on the phone's browser.
And if reading mode were to be on when switched to the start screen, chances are that the page won't load at all when you get back, leaving you with a blank screen, forcing you to exit reading mode and refresh manually.

Chrome and IE should follow UC browser.. These guys are awesome....uc browser meets all my basic needs in the browsing experience.
It's also absolutely horrible when dealing with large pages, though it's still better than IE 11 because it doesn't have the reloading issue, at the least.

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
hey at least I think they fixed the problem that using IE will get your phone hot after a while (ie. it doesn't drain battery like crazy like in WP8) which is a great thing

Prateek Kumar

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Say you load a very long article, and start reading it. In the middle, you want to do something else, so you press the Start button and get to a different app, leaving IE behind. Once that's done, you get back to IE.
In WP 8, the long article you were reading would be waiting for you exactly where you stopped reading, no matter how long you spend outside.
But in WP 8.1, if you spend even 15 minutes with the phone locked on the start screen without opening any other apps, as soon as you get back to IE, the page will reload. Now this itself is okay, but the problem is that when this happens, most of the time, the page will go back to top, and you will lose the point where you were last, which is a great annoyance for some of us who read large texts on the phone's browser.
And if reading mode were to be on when switched to the start screen, chances are that the page won't load at all when you get back, leaving you with a blank screen, forcing you to exit reading mode and refresh manually.

It's also absolutely horrible when dealing with large pages, though it's still better than IE 11 because it doesn't have the reloading issue, at the least.

Are you using 512MB RAM device?

Maytag87

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I can browse to Phonearena.com without issue. The page completely renders in 5 seconds or less on every attempt on my Lumia 928. I'd test this on WP8.0 out of curiousity, but I updated all my 4 phones to 8.1... Do you have another example site that crashes the WP8.1?

Do you have an example site that uses popups that cannot be opened by IE 11?

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

Wow, that is annoying. I just tested this using this thread though, and the page did reload when I returned to IE, but it placed me back where I left off. Maybe it depends on how the website is coded? Either way, it's annoying to have to wait for it to refresh.

acewing905

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Wow, that is annoying. I just tested this using this thread though, and the page did reload when I returned to IE, but it placed me back where I left off. Maybe it depends on how the website is coded? Either way, it's annoying to have to wait for it to refresh.
It's random when in normal mode. Sometimes it places you back at the correct point, but sometimes it takes you back to top.
In reading mode, it's sometimes back to top, and sometimes it doesn't load at all. This really needs to be fixed.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Yep, this is a problem. It was an issue in WP8 as well (in regular mode), but less so. It has gotten more frequent in WP8.1, and it's definitely a noticeable drawback.

I'll shamelessly bring up the issue I have with not being able to view my Citi credit card site too:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...iti-mobile-site-not-working-anymore-ie11.html

When I go to any of the Citi sites, like https://online.citibank.com/US/Welcome.c for example, it never lets me log in, I just get redirected back and forth to different URLs and then end up where I started, or on another login page. I have seen this happen with other sites as well, but I can't remember which ones. It seems like IE11 has some problem with some sites.

The new stuff is great, and when these bugs get fixed IE11 will be much better than IE10 was. I hope they take care of it soon. :)

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Chrome on Android is by far the WORST browser experience on mobile browsing (Chrome for iOS was good before they f*cked it up) It's sluggish,unresponsive,slow and laggy (Both tablet and smartphone version) It doesn't even pinch to zoom properly If you want a decent browser on Android use the vanilla one or Firefox And also I think you didn't give IE a chance at all I've used almost any browser and have somewhat experience of IE (5-11) and I'm pretty sure Windows Mobile 5 had a better browsing experience than Chrome on Android

I don't agree with you about Chrome for Android. I find it very good on my Moto G. But you make a good point about choice. At least on Android you can use another browser if you don't like Chrome. Please Microsoft, set WP free!

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Chrome is not the worst. It works fine on my RAZR M and Moto X. It used to be bad but it has gotten way better.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Crhome is a mature, with several updates web browser, IE11 is a new, no updates and beta web browser.

Yes, comparable software

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Tapatalk

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean "beta"? I haven't seen anything about it being a beta version.

Beta, unfinished, all the software in the preview is preview software (the core OS is the final version).

Some system apps have been updated since preview launch.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Beta, unfinished, all the software in the preview is preview software (the core OS is the final version).

Then why is a beta being so easily downloaded my so many? Usually betas are more inclusive. No, this is the final software without minor tweaks that will be available when it goes OTA. But for all intents and purposes this is how it will be. Minor stuff like the IE issue will be fixed but this is not a beta.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

acewing905

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Yep, this is a problem. It was an issue in WP8 as well (in regular mode), but less so. It has gotten more frequent in WP8.1, and it's definitely a noticeable drawback.
I don't recall having it ever happen to me back in WP 8, honestly. Maybe it happened once or twice, but if it did, it did certainly to such a negligible level that I don't remember it at all. But with this, it happens almost always. So irritating.

Just because it's getting more updates doesn't mean it's a beta. Finalized software get updates all the time. The only app that's in beta is Cortana. IE 11 is not a beta.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo