IE 11 (WP 8.1) vs. Google Chrome.(Android)

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, then WPCentral is wrong because I read it here, in a WPCentral article.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Tapatalk

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I did test IE11 over lunch, and yes, it does reload the page again...not just resume to it. It did place me at the same spot I was at though...interesting...it does seem to close the browser down and try to save the page location for viewing when IE resumes. Interesting...

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any issues with IE11 or Chrome...guess I'm not picky enough ;P phonearena loads fast and smooth on both for me!

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
IE 11 improves a lot but still not as good as Chrome in Android.

Today I was comparing IE 11 with by brothers Android phone.
I am not going to talk about speed here but the things IE can't do but Chrome can do.

1. IE 11 still can't open sites which open with pop ups.
It's quite annoying that WP IE 11 can only open sites which doesn't have pop's just like old JAVA or S40 phones.
Come on MS, it's 2014 a smartphone era and IE 11 still sames level as old phones now.

2. IE in WP8.1 still crashes like WP 8 when we open heavy sites. I notice IE 11 very often crashes and struggle to open sites like Phonearena.com but Chrome easily open and very fluidly works without any crashes.

If anyone of you have Android phone you can confirm it your self.

I don't know if IE for WP8.1 is still a beta or a stable version but it still needs lots of improvement.
I thought MS is going to fix this in next update but they didn't.
I think these are pretty basic thing that a good browser must do.
What you guys think?

IE 11 has NEVER crashed on my 1020, so I'm not sure but it seems like you're having some other kind of issues. Also, phonearena.com opens very fast and I can browse it very fluidly.

In regards to the popup thing, can you provide a link to test? I have yet to visit a site that won't open because of popups.

Alsoo, IE is very fluid when scrolling and zooming and Chrome on Android is slow and unnatural. (I have a quad-core Nexus 4 at home as well) I personally think IE11 may not have some of the advanced features of Chrome, and that has always been the case, but speed is probably the biggest advantage of IE. Windows Phone's browser is very very fast. You should also try sunspider browser test on a Galaxy S4/S5 and watch how the benchmark is barely faster than a 2 year old Snapdragon S4 in a WP running IE11.

Just be certain what device do you have? Sounds like you must have a budget phone if you're having performance issues

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
IE 11 has NEVER crashed on my 1020, so I'm not sure but it seems like you're having some other kind of issues. Also, phonearena.com opens very fast and I can browse it very fluidly.

In regards to the popup thing, can you provide a link to test? I have yet to visit a site that won't open because of popups.

Alsoo, IE is very fluid when scrolling and zooming and Chrome on Android is slow and unnatural. (I have a quad-core Nexus 4 at home as well) I personally think IE11 may not have some of the advanced features of Chrome, and that has always been the case, but speed is probably the biggest advantage of IE. Windows Phone's browser is very very fast. You should also try sunspider browser test on a Galaxy S4/S5 and watch how the benchmark is barely faster than a 2 year old Snapdragon S4 in a WP running IE11.

Just be certain what device do you have? Sounds like you must have a budget phone if you're having performance issues
I tried loading phonearena.com. I don't have any issues either. I haven't seen any crash so far with ie11. I also would like to know which site with pop ups not working?
I feel that IE is very fast. Faster than the android browser on my friends lg g2.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Actually, IE11 does open pop ups now and it's really annoying, especially when visiting government sites (in my country). I mean do you really have to have a separate window to login? I liked it before when IE10 opened the link in the same window, not opening a separate one and going on from that, deserting the previous tab and taking up memory. And no, it doesn't crash.

ErR0rPr0n3

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Then why is a beta being so easily downloaded my so many? Usually betas are more inclusive. No, this is the final software without minor tweaks that will be available when it goes OTA. But for all intents and purposes this is how it will be. Minor stuff like the IE issue will be fixed but this is not a beta.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
What do you need to do to get this update? (I'm guessing you may not be aware having posted from an android device but that's just a assumption). You need to register as a developer. Only then will you get the update to any devices linked to that developer account (its been a while for me so the specifics you can read about elsewhere). When MS made it free, the exact thing they were probably hoping to avoid happened which is that lots of non-developers signed up for the program just to get the latest shiny bits early. So yes, it is a preview...No it is not all final code...Yes it's reasonable to assume they are going to update the browser between now and the actual OS release date, Its also fairly reasonable to assume that we're running a debug build with extra junk in it to report issues back to MS in more detail than a final release would have, and hence it being a bit slower (although I don't see it personally). These are the things most devs would expect from a developer/preview/beta/whatever the latest marketing term is that isn't final... release.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
When MS made it free, the exact thing they were probably hoping to avoid happened which is that lots of non-developers signed up for the program just to get the latest shiny bits early.

There is no indication that MS hoped to avoid this. They made this Dev program extremely easy to sign up to, and publicized it and made it unlimited.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Phonearena.com opens nicely for me? Ie11 does have quirks like not properly interacting with drop down menus that are not optimized for touch. So annoying like school websites and fancy cupcakeries, lol.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Has to be among the worse ideas since the McRib. Take a released version of a browser and pit it against a browser that isn't even beta, its a developers preview for crying out loud. Then go on to proclaim this is a fair challenge and encourage others to come to the same conclusion using the same set of parameters. Not science.

acewing905

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Has to be among the worse ideas since the McRib. Take a released version of a browser and pit it against a browser that isn't even beta, its a developers preview for crying out loud. Then go on to proclaim this is a fair challenge and encourage others to come to the same conclusion using the same set of parameters. Not science.

When are you people going to learn? It's not a beta, and it's certainly not pre-beta. It's the final build that's sent to OEMs.
Of course, there will be overall performance improvements when the OEMs come up with firmware updates specific to their devices, but IE is not going to change unless MS releases an update. I hope they do, but that doesn't mean the current version is a beta.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
When are you people going to learn? It's not a beta, and it's certainly not pre-beta. It's the final build that's sent to OEMs.
Of course, there will be overall performance improvements when the OEMs come up with firmware updates specific to their devices, but IE is not going to change unless MS releases an update. I hope they do, but that doesn't mean the current version is a beta.

ROTFLMAO
Final build. Keep believing that.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Sadly much of the mobile web is coded to webkit proprietary garbage rather than actual IE supported W3C standards. Mostly because Google refuses to build some of those standards into chrome. I blame the website owners for most issues I have with IE.

acewing905

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
ROTFLMAO
Final build. Keep believing that.

Development continues on Windows Phone 8.1; final build expected April 14th - Neowin

The ?final build? from last week, combined with the more recent Final Adaptation Kit, will form the ?real? gold code for the OS ? referred to as the snappily named ?Windows Phone 8.1 QFE1 Final Adaptation Kit Build? ? which Microsoft will seed to its OEM partners. This code should be in the hands of manufacturers on April 14, before its rollout to existing users begins later this month through the Windows Phone Developer Preview.

You have no idea how this works, do you?

When MS finishes the final build, they send it to OEMs, and then the final release dates on their devices are upto them. The sole purpose of the Preview for Developers program is to bypass this, and for MS to let users get the update directly without waiting for OEMs and carriers.

The only beta software in the current release is Cortana, and that's why it's specifically mentioned as a beta while nothing else is.

Lloydbm4

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
hahaha ... android users are also very annoyed by the slow and sluggish google chrome , it even lags on galaxy s4 .... ie11 is way better
I have iOS, android and windows phones. None of what you said is even remotely true. You do sound more like an iCultist though, so not surprised by the comments.
I love my 1520, but IE still needs work to catch up with Google and Chrome. But IE is getting there. Slowly.

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Say you load a very long article, and start reading it. In the middle, you want to do something else, so you press the Start button and get to a different app, leaving IE behind. Once that's done, you get back to IE.
In WP 8, the long article you were reading would be waiting for you exactly where you stopped reading, no matter how long you spend outside.
But in WP 8.1, if you spend even 15 minutes with the phone locked on the start screen without opening any other apps, as soon as you get back to IE, the page will reload. Now this itself is okay, but the problem is that when this happens, most of the time, the page will go back to top, and you will lose the point where you were last, which is a great annoyance for some of us who read large texts on the phone's browser.
And if reading mode were to be on when switched to the start screen, chances are that the page won't load at all when you get back, leaving you with a blank screen, forcing you to exit reading mode and refresh manually.

Chrome in iOS does this as well and much worse. IE in WP8 is better in this regard. I don't know about Chrome in Android though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro