IE 11 (WP 8.1) vs. Google Chrome.(Android)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok!
Here lots of user telling me that Phonearena work just fine.

Try this
Scroll to down and open last article then go back and scroll to up and open first article.
try this for 2 to 3 times.

In 90% of cases IE crashes in phone.
But
It may be possible that I am only one who is facing this issue.

and thanks acewing905
I forget to mention reloading issue.
Just did it. Didn't crash. Kept doing it 4 more times. Still didn't crash my Lumina 920 IE browser. :walks away looking to recover wasted time:

anon(5408816)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Well the kid is right...replicated it without using wi-fi.

With the white screen when you go back. You let it be for secondsssssss then when it start to reload and images appeared the phone get back to home screen page of the phone.

Happen over data but not over Wi-Fi. Also the phone get warm over Data while browsing but not over Wi-Fi

My phone has LTE sim in it. I did not try on 3G.

Using a single site as a metric for how well the browser works may not be a valid test. If you can reproduce that on other sites, there may be something to it. If so, it is quite possible that the site is using features that have limited support for common rendering engines. There are numerous features built into Webkit and Google's Webkit derivative, Blink that are proprietary to their dev kits. In other words, those features are not defined as a part of the W3C standard for HTML 5. Microsoft doesn't use Webkit or Blink. They use Gecko as their rendering engine and it is proprietary to Microsoft. In terms of performance benchmarks, this has advantages because they aren't subject to an open source committee like Webkit is. That is why Google spun off of Webkit and created their own rendering engine known as Blink. As websites become more and more feature rich and interactive, the development community has leaned more heavily on features that expand on the W3C standard to help differentiate.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok!
Here lots of user telling me that Phonearena work just fine.

Try this
Scroll to down and open last article then go back and scroll to up and open first article.
try this for 2 to 3 times.

In 90% of cases IE crashes in phone.
But
It may be possible that I am only one who is facing this issue.

and thanks acewing905
I forget to mention reloading issue.

Sorry but I cannot test this flow right now... my L920's currently having an error with access point and I cannot use my mobile data anymore (Nokia's access point, so I'd wait for them).
But seem like we need to confirm that if only 512MB phone has this issue or not.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Guys windows phone is a developing OS....so guys who aren't happy with IE......dont worry it will get better with time.... Windows phone is more popular in terms of simplicity...and android in terms of features....so I dont thing comparing the two OS will finally have an end because each OS has its pros and cons.. I am not against anyone's opinion just a suggestion though😊

Exactly why google should have android sorted out now. But they don't. it's still super fragmented and laggy. I have used it on the note 3 and s5 and its still slow and jumpy.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Using a single site as a metric for how well the browser works may not be a valid test. If you can reproduce that on other sites, there may be something to it. If so, it is quite possible that the site is using features that have limited support for common rendering engines. There are numerous features built into Webkit and Google's Webkit derivative, Blink that are proprietary to their dev kits. In other words, those features are not defined as a part of the W3C standard for HTML 5. Microsoft doesn't use Webkit or Blink. They use Gecko as their rendering engine and it is proprietary to Microsoft. In terms of performance benchmarks, this has advantages because they aren't subject to an open source committee like Webkit is. That is why Google spun off of Webkit and created their own rendering engine known as Blink. As websites become more and more feature rich and interactive, the development community has leaned more heavily on features that expand on the W3C standard to help differentiate.

That's an explanation that I am not familiar with what you said and surely not arguing with that....As an end user the only thing that i'm looking for is; Is it working or not? and How well?
That is right, it need to do it to more than 1 site.
I am not complaining as I can work with it. So be it if it does have problem here and there. It will get better overtime. And that is what people need to chill out with this preview

And thinking about it; Why am I not having that problem when I use Wi-Fi as oppose of mobile data?

Last edited:

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Exactly why google should have android sorted out now. But they don't. it's still super fragmented and laggy. I have used it on the note 3 and s5 and its still slow and jumpy.

Doubtful that you used two flagships and found them to be laggy. Also, the fact that majority of android devices have 4.1+ now makes this "fragmented" old.

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Windows IE11 still lag behind...as we can't download in background and can't upload to facebook...damn it...that's what I have been paying 350$ for...its just a shame to MS...which is focusing on high features leaving and forgetting the basic needs of users

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Windows IE11 still lag behind...as we can't download in background and can't upload to facebook...damn it...that's what I have been paying 350$ for...its just a shame to MS...which is focusing on high features leaving and forgetting the basic needs of users

I can download in the background...

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
IE 11 has NEVER crashed on my 1020, so I'm not sure but it seems like you're having some other kind of issues. Also, phonearena.com opens very fast and I can browse it very fluidly.

In regards to the popup thing, can you provide a link to test? I have yet to visit a site that won't open because of popups.

Alsoo, IE is very fluid when scrolling and zooming and Chrome on Android is slow and unnatural. (I have a quad-core Nexus 4 at home as well) I personally think IE11 may not have some of the advanced features of Chrome, and that has always been the case, but speed is probably the biggest advantage of IE. Windows Phone's browser is very very fast. You should also try sunspider browser test on a Galaxy S4/S5 and watch how the benchmark is barely faster than a 2 year old Snapdragon S4 in a WP running IE11.

Just be certain what device do you have? Sounds like you must have a budget phone if you're having performance issues

You should try and use other benchmarks, because at every other browser benchmark, ie 10 mobile would suck. Sunspider was the only thing that it was optimized for basically. IE 11 has improved by quite margin, it still needs lots of work.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Chrome in Android is the worst browser i ever seen in my life. IE10 was better. IE11 is 400% better than Chrome for Android.

People need to understand one thing. The default browser need to be fast, safe, easy, clean and simple. IE11 is all of this and more. Need improvements, but just a little bit. It's almost perfect right now.

IE11 run smooth on Lumia 520. Chrome is bugged, very slow, with really bad response EVEN in a Galaxy S4 or Nexus.

This is a very weird comparison (IE x Chrome). IE11 need to be compared with Safari. Chrome is pure garbage.

bmnaidum

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site

a1rphones

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Chrome runs on android is so unpredictable depending on the hardware. It's weird because I stop using it on my android device because of frequent crashes and use Firefox instead.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Chrome on Android is horrible, fact. It's too slow to use it at least on my tablet. I use Puffin browser on Android although I use chrome on PC I can't make myself self to use it on Android.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 820 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans