IE 11 (WP 8.1) vs. Google Chrome.(Android)

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Doubtful that you used two flagships and found them to be laggy. Also, the fact that majority of android devices have 4.1+ now makes this "fragmented" old.
YEs, they were. Scrolling was jumpy and not fluid like WP, and IOS for that matter. And yes, android IS fragmented. There is one WP os for all windows phones, there is one OS for all apple phones there is a dozen different android OS versions working out there now. Yes most are on 4.1, but 4.4 is the newest kit Kat? Most phones are not even upgraded jelly bean yet.

Android is too open, ios is too cclosed and WP is just right.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
YEs, they were. Scrolling was jumpy and not fluid like WP, and IOS for that matter. And yes, android IS fragmented. There is one WP os for all windows phones, there is one OS for all apple phones there is a dozen different android OS versions working out there now. Yes most are on 4.1, but 4.4 is the newest kit Kat? Most phones are not even upgraded jelly bean yet.

Their is nothing called "just right" or the perfect.
WP 8.1 is also very jumpy too. Not fluid like WP8.

yet I like WP8.1 more than WP8.

and I don't know about other users but I never experienced Android lag (exception of 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich)
Latest Android 4.4 is more fluid and faster than WP. (based on Moto G experience)

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

What nonsense. I hate IE and want to use a WebKit or Gecko based browser. This is not allowed on WP. Therefore I have to buy an Android phone. What possible reason is there for Microsoft to prevent me from using other browsers, other than evil or stupidity? Nice one Steve!

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
YEs, they were. Scrolling was jumpy and not fluid like WP, and IOS for that matter.

Hmm, were these your personal devices or devices at a store?

And yes, android IS fragmented. There is one WP os for all windows phones, there is one OS for all apple phones there is a dozen different android OS versions working out there now. Yes most are on 4.1, but 4.4 is the newest kit Kat? Most phones are not even upgraded jelly bean yet.

Dashboards | Android Developers

Jelly Bean is fact the largest Android Version now and quite frankly, between 4.1-4.4 they were just behind the scenes stuff, with some notifications improvements and lock-screen widgets. The fact that majority of android devices are on 4.0+ proves that Android OS is becoming less fragmented as time goes on. Even still if it fragmented it does not affect the end consumer, because they wont care about updates anyways.

Android being open is a good thing, WP being closed is one of the problems it has. Developers have to come up with a dev team to make a proprietary app for a fledgling platform, that takes man hours, and money which not every dev/company want`s to do because the payoff may not be worth it.

Attachments

• chart?cht=p&chs=500x250&chco=c4df9b%u00252C6fad0c&chf=bg%u00252Cs%u00252C00000000&chd=t%u00253A1.png
    chart?cht=p&chs=500x250&chco=c4df9b%u00252C6fad0c&chf=bg%u00252Cs%u00252C00000000&chd=t%u00253A1.png
    980 bytes · Views: 71

mesamit

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
What nonsense. I hate IE and want to use a WebKit or Gecko based browser. This is not allowed on WP. Therefore I have to buy an Android phone. What possible reason is there for Microsoft to prevent me from using other browsers, other than evil or stupidity? Nice one Steve!

what a crap....just ask web developer to use w3c standard while coding websites...instead of webkit ****....then you will see even IE will render page perfectly and much faster than chrome.....
also to original poster I have no such issue you have mentioned in my lumia 620 using wp8.1 developer preview....

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, were these your personal devices or devices at a store?

Dashboards | Android Developers

Jelly Bean is fact the largest Android Version now and quite frankly, between 4.1-4.4 they were just behind the scenes stuff, with some notifications improvements and lock-screen widgets. The fact that majority of android devices are on 4.0+ proves that Android OS is becoming less fragmented as time goes on. Even still if it fragmented it does not affect the end consumer, because they wont care about updates anyways.

Android being open is a good thing, WP being closed is one of the problems it has. Developers have to come up with a dev team to make a proprietary app for a fledgling platform, that takes man hours, and money which not every dev/company want`s to do because the payoff may not be worth it.
THey are personal friends phones. I love trying new devices, that's what led me to WP in the beginning. Now I would never switch back. The apps argument is laughable. How many fart apps does one need.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Exactly why google should have android sorted out now. But they don't. it's still super fragmented and laggy. I have used it on the note 3 and s5 and its still slow and jumpy.

You should try Android on a Moto G. Super smooth and much faster than WP. Also, I think fragmentation (ie being used in creative and varied ways) shows just how successful android has been.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
what a crap....just ask web developer to use w3c standard while coding websites...instead of webkit ****....then you will see even IE will render page perfectly and much faster than chrome.....
also to original poster I have no such issue you have mentioned in my lumia 620 using wp8.1 developer preview....

Please answer my question before resorting to foul language. Why do Microsoft prevent other browsers from being used on WP?

BadIntentVG

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
My opinion is pretty unbiased as I have used iOS, WP, and Android and have access to all 3 at work. Android's Chrome is definitely better than IE11. Which feels "faster" seems to be subjective here, so I'll just point out observations:

-Tab reloading is far more frequent than Chrome on similar spec devices (I use HTC 8x). Like others mentioned, leave a tab with lots of content open for only 10 minutes (or shorter depending on how intense the app you switch to is), and it will often reload. Extremely annoying. Maybe it's Cortana eating up RAM in 8.1, but something about the memory management causes tabs to reload much more than in 8.0. Before the update, I could watch MyTube and play a couple games and my tabs would still be up. I find myself second guessing leaving a tab sometimes because I don't know if IE will decide it's time to reload my page and kill the text response I was writing.
-Images on some sites don't load properly and just show that greyed out camera image. Very rare for images not to show up on Chrome. Example just go to like Teen Titans wikia or most of the Wikia sites honestly. Some have a different format, but a good half of them don't display images properly.
-WP 8.1 added an annoyance of having the back button close your tab. Why?... Before if you pressed back after you've gone back too far, it will just hide the app. You had to actually "X" it to remove it from memory. There is no indicator that you have gone back as far as you can. That's fine, but it results in accidental tab closing with no warning.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
THey are personal friends phones.

Then your argument is flawed. Trying a friends phone and finding it laggy is user error. Especially on two flagship devices that are known to be lag free. If you tried this with these devices out of box and said it was laggy I would flow with it.

I love trying new devices, that's what led me to WP in the beginning. Now I would never switch back.

That`s good that is your prerogative.

The apps argument is laughable. How many fart apps does one need.

This argument is stupid and old. And:

Search results for "fart" | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

How many fart apps one needs is a good question since there quite a number on the Windows Phone store. The bottom line is that a lot of people need use a lot of newer and popular apps like:Candy Crush, VSCO Cam, some banking apps and credit union unions, Pininterest, Quora, Flipbord, YouTube, Google+, Tango, HP ePrint, etc. A good portion of newer games aren`t on WP either such as Dots or Super Hexagon, or Family Guy: The Quest For Stuff or Cut the Rope 2, or even Minecraft.

Bram Vanroy

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
This is just getting hilariously off-topic now. :p

This. This topic has resorted to foul language, flaming and android vs. WP discussions that are based on purely subjective views. It's simple: like IE11: great! You have it at your disposal. Don't like IE11 for whatever reason (****** or not)? That's a pity! But don't just put a pointing finger to MS. Google has always been a pain in the *** for MS as well, it goes both ways. And, additionally, Chrome might be coming to WP - even though I guess you'll have to wait a couple of years. Google has to make a new build of Chrome, and MS has to stop being a d*ck towards 3rd party browsers. When both companies each make that single concession, Chrome might come to WP.

Sources:

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
why you are comparing old devices.
Compare it with Moto G.
Recent devices and faster and fluid than anything else in the budget....
Because newer phones will always perform well. What is fair is comparing phones of the same age, preferably 10+ months or older. This is where the differences in OS's is make or break. This is where you'll see Android falter and WP shine.

My Android was great with ICS, for the first 8 months or so, then it dogged. My Android with Jelly Bean was great for the first 8 months or so, then it dogged. My WP's, which has had twice as many games and apps on it, has been a fluid beast from day one.

In regard to IE vs Chrome, it's subjective and always will be. Use what you like and be happy.

S_C_B

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I truly dislike using the web browser on Windows Phone. The experience is just not as good as Chrome.

I'm a longtime Android, WP and IOS user.

Mr Shield

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I got Xperia Z1 with the improved fix to make Chrome faster and yes, it's insanely fast.

My wife will soon receive a L925 and I will compare it to each other.

Skickat fr?n min Xperia Z1 (C6903) via Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786