8.1 has stripped away features

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
These social apps also can now integrate into the photo app. Though I do miss OneDrive being a part of it, this approach does make sense in the long term.

You can still see the photos and videos uploaded to OneDrive using the Photo app. Just slide over to Albums and you will see OneDrive and Facebook. I don't use Instagram or Vine so I don't know if they show up in the Albums.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
*WHAT DO YOU MEAN OF PHONE CALLS? IS IT PEOPLE HUB?
1) Integration of groups/hubs on phone calls - GONE! So you now can't group family, friends, work..etc phone/addresses together!!!!!
you still can do it...
2) Social updates on phone calls - GONE! You now have open each individual app as now!!!
you can... uninstall those apps, go to "email + account", press the social app you want, then it will say install, press it, then once it finished the installs, go to "email + account" again, press the social app you want, then it will say open app, press it, then login, it will show "connect with your phone?" then press yes
OR
go to the app, press settings > connect with my phone > on, and press sync now (facebook works)
PLEASE SPECIFY WHICH TYPE OF SOCIAL APP YOU WANT TO LINK
3) Photos wallpaper background - GONE! This made W8 so elegant, now its just bland and boring!!!
what you mean? Windows 8? photos hub dont have access to wallpaper folder...
4) Calendar though improved from previous , still has defaut ALL DAY, and annoyingly REMINDER is always on - this is annoying while slow tedious compared to CAL, Chronos Calendar, Simple Calendar; due to having manually change it every time - esp when you only have a 2hr appointment to put in don't want an alarm reminder. The tile is still useless and bland never showing anything more then 24hrs ahead.
you can change it by tap the calendars button (behind the plus) and change it to the view type you want
if you mean why there is still have day options, because people want to track when and where they go
reminder, what is it? my phone language was not english sorry, please screenshot if you can, if it is the first menu option (pull up the bottom settings), you can set it
you can set it, click more info, notify set to starting time or 1 hour
5) Why the hell have they taken away HUBS!!!!

WHAT HUBSSSS!!!

Last edited:

Expression2

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello! does anyone know if the tickbox for disabling only the sounds for notifications is still present in 8.1? in 8.0 it was in sound settings where now we find disabling/enabling system alarms, i really liked it because i uas able to leave just the ringer and/or mail sounds on,now i have to go thru every app in the notification settings and set to ring/vibrate/push,but if i have 4 chatting apps i can't go all day and change those,i've written a THREAD about this but...no answer,and it's been a few days now :)) thx
Under ringtones + sounds, the system alerts check box

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello! does anyone know if the tickbox for disabling only the sounds for notifications is still present in 8.1? in 8.0 it was in sound settings where now we find disabling/enabling system alarms, i really liked it because i uas able to leave just the ringer and/or mail sounds on,now i have to go thru every app in the notification settings and set to ring/vibrate/push,but if i have 4 chatting apps i can't go all day and change those,i've written a THREAD about this but...no answer,and it's been a few days now :)) thx

go to settings > notifications + quick settings > click on the app you dont want the sound, then press sound, change (default) to (none)

Paritosh Rai

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
There was a talk of having the option to reply to mails with attachments and by that not just photos, but docs, pdf etc. via a file picker. I can't seem to figure that out, probably because it's not there. Can anybody confirm this?

mariusfilip

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Last edited:

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
i really miss the tickbox in sound setting panel...for instance i am expecting an important mail or call and don't want to be disturbed by all my other notifications...like Fb,Fb messenger,Whatsapp and so on...i made a thread about this,but it looks like i was the single one on the planet Earth using this feature :))View attachment 63811
turn off all notification sounds by unchecking a tickbox in sound settings,like in wp 8.0 (wp 8.1 developer preview) – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

go to settings > notification + quick settings > choose the apps you want to disable sound, click on sound from (default) to (none)

Maonsie

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
You can still see the photos and videos uploaded to OneDrive using the Photo app. Just slide over to Albums and you will see OneDrive and Facebook. I don't use Instagram or Vine so I don't know if they show up in the Albums.

Well, I know OneDrive shows up. What I miss is the ability to upload to OneDrive, and delete within the photo app. Cos what it is now is basically a viewer. But hopefully, Instagram and other apps do integrate into the app.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, I know OneDrive shows up. What I miss is the ability to upload to OneDrive, and delete within the photo app. Cos what it is now is basically a viewer. But hopefully, Instagram and other apps do integrate into the app.

I'm convinced an update to OneDrive will bring back the option to upload photos to OneDrive from the photo hub (instead of having to go to the OneDrive app, which obviously still works).

One of the things I like about the new system is that apps can integrate to the hubs. So I expect OneDrive to be one of them. Being made by Microsoft and all.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I miss the quick link for the people hub in the phone app. Now it just goes to a call address book instead of the full people app.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

bsbharath1987

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
In Windows Phone 8, there used to be a feature where we can chat on Facebook through the Messaging Hub. Now that has been removed with the 8.1 DP. Does it mean that the Hub will now be accessible to third party messaging apps? I installed Facebook and Facebook messenger apps and I still don't see them integrated with the Messaging Hub. Should we wait for Facebook Messenger app to be updated to Windows Phone 8.1?

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
OMG. How many threads of this kind are we going to read? Steve said it all here: Hang on. Which bit of Developer Preview don't you understand?

No you haven't downloaded or updated 8.1, but 8.1 Developer Preview. Before comparing your stable 8.0 environment to the 8.1 environment, you should at least wait for the major apps to update so that everything is optimised for 8.1

It's too early to say features have been stripped or hubs have disappeared or whatever.

So wait & see. Some app updates are due next week; when FB/Twitter are updated, then you'll be able to rant -- or not -- about what has REALLY disappeared.

satycool

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Music app is ruined - why have they removed Live tile (and on games); also all the fuss about Contana.. Is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind on Google and Siri !! All it seems to do is throw web pages at you when asked questions, esp compared to Siri and Google which answers and shows info!!! Also the function when pressing the Search key on Lumia that bought Bing search, Music, Local, Scanner all together in one place, and very useful is now gone as MS speech is now using that function - which IS a lot less useful. It seems MS has improved, but not equalled iOS of Android, yet took away key useful features and have added some have baked features like speech function. Seperating apps as with people and phone is now a multitasking event, as you have to go to each app simple to see certain info on a person/number/address! Also on photos which MS has stupidly removed is the pinch screen to preview/see photos by simply swiping the screen seeing the photos whiz across across the screen for a quick view/search. MS seems to be removing the most useful Smartphone functions MS just for the hell of it!

Last edited:

Booston

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Music app is ruined - why have they removed Live tile (and on games); also all the fuss about Contana.. Is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind on Google and Siri !! All it seems to do is throw web pages at you when asked questions, esp compared to Siri and Google which answers and shows info!!! Also the function when pressing the Search key on Lumia that bought Bing search, Music, Local, Scanner all together in one place, and very useful is now gone as MS speech is now using that function - which IS a lot less useful. It seems MS has improved, but not equalled iOS of Android, yet took away key useful features and have added some have baked features like speech function. Seperating apps as with people and phone is now a multitasking event, as you have to go to each app simple to see certain info on a person/number/address!
Think you are confused on what developer previews are. Cortana works amazing and my wife a huge iPhone user is ready to switch seeing how good she works. I am assuming you do not have her setup right, hence just the web searches.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos