Text message thread linked to wrong contact

rjoe55

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
After performing the 8.1 update, I noticed that the text conversation with my brother (we text all the time) had been erased. I didn't care too much about it but then found a thread in my messaging app that was labeled with a contact that I never chat with that contained my entire message history with my brother.

I had to link this other contact with my brother's contact in order for the text history to show up, but has anyone come across this? I have not been able to remove the link to the other contact without also splitting the conversations back out as they were after the update.

I'm on an AT&T 1520.

Thanks

feliperuiz

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I seem to have lost all text messages on my 920 from October to now, but I still haven't found them under another contact. Not sure if it's the same problem or something different

FranchiseSIX5

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I have an 822 and I had the very same thing happen to me. I may know a place to start looking, although I have no idea how to fix it..

My text messages were fine after 8.1 update. I had the Facebook app loaded but decided I wanted to disconnect from Facebook on my phone, so I uninstalled the FB app. At that point I noticed all my contacts I was used to seeing on my live tile for "People" were now blank. And because 8.1 got rid of a lot of features I loved in 8 (Games Hub, for one) I decided to reinstall the FB app to be able to link my contacts and FB. (something you could do with 8, without having the FB app loaded)

This is when the text message mishap started. I went to text my daughter and there were no texts in history. Just a blank text screen like I had never sent a text. But when I checked my texting list, I saw the texts her and I had sent the day before listed under someone elses FB contact. (no texting available) There was a message in the window you type that said "Read only message" which makes sense since her FB isnt a text service.

So, for me, it had something to do with the uninstall and reinstall of Facebook app. Still very perplexing. I tried linking my daughter to that other persons FB link to get the messages back, which it did under my daughters name. But unlinking it after that took the messages away again and left them under the other person.

I have tried every weird way to duplicate what happened, but I have found no solution and Google is very limited on it.

my 2 cents...thanks if anyone has a solution!

Last edited:

FranchiseSIX5

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I have an 822 and I had the very same thing happen to me. I may know a place to start looking, although I have no idea how to fix it..

My text messages were fine after 8.1 update. I had the Facebook app loaded but decided I wanted to disconnect from Facebook on my phone, so I uninstalled the FB app. At that point I noticed all my contacts I was used to seeing on my live tile for "People" were now blank. And because 8.1 got rid of a lot of features I loved in 8 (Games Hub, for one) I decided to reinstall the FB app to be able to link my contacts and FB. (something you could do with 8, without having the FB app loaded)

This is when the text message mishap started. I went to text my daughter and there were no texts in history. Just a blank text screen like I had never sent a text. But when I checked my texting list, I saw the texts her and I had sent the day before listed under a someone's FB contact. (no texting available) There was a message in the window you type that said "Read only message" which makes sense since her FB isnt a text service.

So, for me, it had something to do with the uninstall and reinstall of Facebook app. Still very perplexing. I tried linking my daughter to that other persons FB link to get the messages back, which it did under my daughters name. But unlinking it after that took the messages away again and left them under the other person.

I have tried every weird way to duplicate what happened, but I have found no solution and Google is very limited on it.

my 2 cents...thanks if anyone has a solution!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3