08-30-2014 08:59 AM
28 12
tools
    I've been having a hard time finding a mute all function in WP 8.1 preview. Has anyone else found it? I can mute both of the new sliders, but if I'm in a theater I just want to hit one button and have all sounds muted.
    04-18-2014 02:28 PM
    I've been having a hard time finding a mute all function in WP 8.1 preview. Has anyone else found it? I can mute both of the new sliders, but if I'm in a theater I just want to hit one button and have all sounds muted.
    Maybe you can solve that with a sound/volume profile.. There was an app in the store, but i can't remember the name.. WPC also had an article about it.. Do a google search :)
    04-18-2014 02:41 PM
    04-18-2014 02:52 PM
    Lol yea that would work as well
    04-18-2014 03:11 PM
    I appreciate the feedback - but - a search (with many different key words and phrases) brings me to years old information, I'm looking for up to date 8.1 info. In WP 8, all you had to do was hit the volume up/down and click on one button to silence the phone. Today, you have to hit the up/down, then mute one and then the other control. I know it's no big deal, but it seems like we went backward. I also see no where in WP Central that speaks to a mute all sounds button.

Thanks for taking the time.
    04-19-2014 08:18 AM
    I appreciate the feedback - but - a search (with many different key words and phrases) brings me to years old information, I'm looking for up to date 8.1 info. In WP 8, all you had to do was hit the volume up/down and click on one button to silence the phone. Today, you have to hit the up/down, then mute one and then the other control. I know it's no big deal, but it seems like we went backward. I also see no where in WP Central that speaks to a mute all sounds button.

If you are on 8.1 just go to notification settings, add quiet hours as a quick access button to the drop down list and whenever you need privacy just hit the quiet hours icon...
    ecr80 likes this.
    04-19-2014 01:58 PM
    04-19-2014 05:38 PM

Unfortunately that's the new way now. You have to silence both sliders now.
    04-19-2014 05:42 PM
    Unfortunately that's the new way now. You have to silence both sliders now.
    another ****ty thing about the new volume control:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...-annoying.html
    04-19-2014 07:23 PM
    I also vote for a mute all button. I use a Bluetooth headset while driving. I used to click the volume control to mute before exiting the car to go into a meeting, restaurant, movie, etc. Now I can't easily do that. I have to unplug my audio cable and turn off my Bluetooth headset before I can get to the main phone ringer volume and mute it. I then have to remember to turn the ringer back on before I connect the Bluetooth headset or the audio cable to the car. Very clunky. My vote is for the volume control dropdown to include access to all possible peripherals AND the main phone volume whether they are connected or not so the volume can be set at any time. I also am still frustrated that the volume levels reset to initial settings after a reboot. With multiple volume controls, now I have change the Bluetooth, phone, and audio back each time. Ugh.
    04-30-2014 11:14 AM
    People complained and complained forever that WP lacked separate volume controls. Now there are separate volume controls and people complain about not having a single Mute All button. If they add a Mute All button people will complain that they just want to mute the device, not headphones- or device and headphones, but not Bluetooth. The iPhone has a simple physical mute button and people complain that it's not configurable. Android lets you configure everything and people complain it's over-complicated. I guess I'd just say "stop being so whiny".

It's an extra tap to mute calls and media; BFD. Or use Quiet Hours from an Action Center toggle.
    Xellsama and gwinegarden like this.
    04-30-2014 12:04 PM
    They had a mute all button but they removed it from the Developer's Preview for some reason.

8.1-volume-sdk.png
    05-01-2014 04:51 AM
    and a sound setting also??
    05-01-2014 10:27 AM
    another ****ty thing about the new volume control:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...-annoying.html
    Not sure why this distinction between Media+Apps and Ringer+Notifications is so confusing. If you're in the Facebook APP, then Media+APPS will pop up by default.
    05-01-2014 11:52 AM
    Add quiet hours to one of your quick settings.
    05-01-2014 12:55 PM
    It took a bit but I finally get it. Quiet hours can be used manually without setting specific hours. This solves the problem for me. No messing around with individual volume controls for different peripherals. I followed the above advice and added it to quick settings. Still wish the volume settings would be maintained after a reboot.
    Chris_Kez likes this.
    05-02-2014 09:48 AM
    for quiet hours you have to turn on your location.
    05-03-2014 04:10 AM
    Unfortunately, that doesn't really help...
    Quiet hours will still allow many sounds to play (music, videos, camera shutter, etc...), just no notification sounds.
    Maybe he's in the theater and wants to look at a quick website?
    If that website auto-plays something, his Quiet Hours setting will provide no solace.
    JJ
    06-15-2014 05:31 PM
    Not so with the Quiet Hours app being recommended rather than the inbuilt Quiet Hours functionality. The QH mutes all (except alarms).
    06-16-2014 05:45 AM
    Not so with the Quiet Hours app being recommended rather than the inbuilt Quiet Hours functionality. The QH mutes all (except alarms).
    Hmmm...
    I just installed it and I can still hear music (yes I activated the setting before playing music).
    06-16-2014 06:26 AM
    Over Bluetooth or wired headphones?
    06-17-2014 01:53 AM
    Over Bluetooth or wired headphones?

If that was for me...
    Over the speaker.
    06-17-2014 07:38 AM
    Odd! Was the volume symbol showing up as muted? Are you sure the QH toast said it had switched to quiet mode rather than to normal mode? It beeps when manually switching to normal mode but doesn't when manually switching to quiet mode.
    06-17-2014 01:45 PM
    If you press volume up or down and tap of the caret ^ you get the two line slider tap on the far left of each slider bar and you'll get mute
    06-17-2014 01:50 PM
    I've already uninstalled it. I don't remember seeing a toast.
    I manually did the toggle, in the app, and with the tile.
    I'll have to install and try again.

Edit...
    Installed it and hit the Test Now appbar icon.
    Every time I hit that icon, it gave a toast notification that said Normal Mode Activated.
    I pinned the Toggle tile.
    Every time I hit that tile, it looks like it opens and closes the app.
    No toast notification is given.
    I pinned 0 volume and 30 volume tiles and they do the same thing as the toggle tile.
    None of the options seem to change the volume sliders.
    Maybe it just doesn't like my phone (Samsung Ativ Odyssey - Windows Phone 8.1).
    JJ
    Last edited by Joshua Jackson; 06-17-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    06-17-2014 01:50 PM
28 12