Benefit of Glance now that we have Notification Center

dayoungtx

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone So with the new notification center I am wondering what the real value of Glance is, especially since the notification center can be accessed when the phone is locked... are you still using Glance? If so, why? Thanks!

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
One of the benefits of Glance for me (was being now I have an Icon) is that I can wave my hand over the phone and look at the phone and see there are any missed phone, text or emails without picking up the phone or moving it to hit the power button.

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
No I'm not. The notification center does it all. Even battery level, day and date.
I'm thinking maybe that's why the icon doesn't have it.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It has the same benefit that it had before which was to be able to view notifications with just an easy glance.

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I have double tap to wake. That's probably why I'm not seeing the need for glance anymore. If I had to press the power button to get to the notification center I'd probably feel different.

kostiraimo

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You just need to take your phone out of your pocket to see glance with its notifications, no pushing buttons or tapping the screen. So yeah, quite beneficial.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Even still.

I have a corporate security policy on mine and in order to get to the Notifications, I have to unlock it. Glance allows me to see date/time, battery, QH, next appointment, counts for specific mailboxes, pics from FB feed, and whether I even HAVE notifications in the Notification Center or not.

All without having to unlock my phone or going to the Notification Center. It's still VERY handy and a necessary feature for me. It's all about efficiency.

Eric Immerman

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I like to be able to discreetly in meetings wave my hand over the phone to see if I have missed any calls or see what time it is. It is also nice at night when you can set it to a dark color and glance at it to see the time.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, they are two completely different things...

Glance doesn't require I do anything to see time and notifications.

Even still.

I have a corporate security policy on mine and in order to get to the Notifications, I have to unlock it. Glance allows me to see date/time, battery, QH, next appointment, counts for specific mailboxes, pics from FB feed, and whether I even HAVE notifications in the Notification Center or not.

All without having to unlock my phone or going to the Notification Center. It's still VERY handy and a necessary feature for me. It's all about efficiency.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
One of the benefits of Glance for me (was being now I have an Icon) is that I can wave my hand over the phone and look at the phone and see there are any missed phone, text or emails without picking up the phone or moving it to hit the power button.

This is pretty much what I use it for on my L920, wave of my hand and I can see what's going on! :D

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone So with the new notification center I am wondering what the real value of Glance is, especially since the notification center can be accessed when the phone is locked... are you still using Glance? If so, why? Thanks!

But you need to unlock the phone to access the notification symbol, the same than before 8.1, glance is for check notifications with no need to unlock the phone

zomechin

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
It's most useful for me when I'm in a class where phones aren't allowed and have to be on silent. I just keep my phone on the desk in front of me and casually put my hand on the sensor and take it off like 5 seconds later.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon