IE11: New way to back and forward?

IrelandCeltic

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Was using Internet Explorer today and discovered that swiping from the very edge of the screen goes back and forward pages.

Is this a new thing in 8.1?

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Yup, I personally find it quite annoying since it's not actually from the edge of the display, you can start swiping from anywhere and this causes accidental forwards and backwards

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I have to say I am not a fan.

Also, there are some pages that have built in navigation for left/right swipes of the screen so I am guessing we won't see that supported on IE.

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ya. I don't understand why it's like that, do the engineers that worked on this, otherwise excellent feature, not use it themselves?

A good feature but poorly executed. What's the point of reloading the page? The purpose of back & forward is to maintain the same content and location in the quickest way possible. I just don't see how these programmers and/or usability testers use this and NOT get frustrated. This is the reason why I don't use the feature at all because it causes me more anger than good.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Probably to free RAM

And that makes sense on a phone, in cases where you are running low on resources (ie similar to how apps are killed if needed), but on my 64GB desktop or even the 8GB Surface it's just nuts to have to reload each and every time. Hell, it's oftentimes faster using the old navigation buttons than swiping.

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
And that makes sense on a phone, in cases where you are running low on resources (ie similar to how apps are killed if needed), but on my 64GB desktop or even the 8GB Surface it's just nuts to have to reload each and every time. Hell, it's oftentimes faster using the old navigation buttons than swiping.

I notice the same thing when using Metro IE 11 on my laptop with 6 GB of RAM.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I really HATE this feature. It's just useless and make me go back even when I don't want. Absolutely unnecessary. We have a Back button, it's enough.

But I'm trying my best to not make mistakes anymore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans