Very serious heat and battery drain issue

driftpod

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Problem - i had overheating and major battery drain for my l820. I tried turning off most background apps - messaging apps, the battery was still draining hard. I couldn't turn off ie11 background becuz there was no option to.

Fixed for now - After 5 days of trial, i found one of the main culprit battery hugger was yahoo email had been syncing forever. So I did a soft reset (hold power+volume down for 10secs), deleted yahoo email, I was also able to get the option to turn off ie11 background app function.

Now the phone seems to be back to normal battery usage and no overheating. I'm still testing it with lte, location, some background apps, low screen, surfing and YouTube.
Battery performance app tells me its consuming 12.8%/hour.

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Issue solved. It's the location services. Disable them and your battery life will go back to normal. I added it to action center quick toggle. Can't use Cortana while disabled, but super quick to re-enable.

In my case Location were turned off. I think it help to disable it but there is many reasons for the heat issue.

arnab ghosh

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
guys go to battery saver and check all apps...the problem is that most of your apps have background processes turned on automatically so that takes up a lot of battery power as well as a lot of RAM and keeps pushing the phone to its limits....turn off all background tasks other than the ones you really need...i think it will solve the issue....it did for me....

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know this is already the final version of 8.1 for now until GDR1

It does not however include the OEM drivers that will optimize the OS for each specific device. The OEM drivers should help with battery consumption.

This is the reason why I'm holding back until the Lumia Cyan update arrives.

thefanfx

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Same here with my Lumia 1520 , it's getting RED HOT on the up corner near to camera.

No matter what applications you are using , i guess it's OS issue , if you are not using the phone for quite long time it's fine , but after 5 min of regular usage games , browsing or whatever it's starting to collect heat and at one moment you have to stop it and leave it or it will melt :) not quite good from MS and Nokia point of view

It's critical issue and they have to fix it asap or someone can get hurt .....

No info from both company's so far

Bainsh

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
After updating my 1520 to 8.1, my device sometimes suddenly getting so much hot at top left side (front and back) to a degree I thought its melded and the battery discharged 25% per hour. Happened 3 times in the first 2 days then I did a hard reset, then everything were ok for one day and again I did fully charge it (many settings turned off, wifi, data, bluetooth, location, nfc, IE syncing, advertizing ID) and also closed all apps running then put it into stand by, slept for less than one hour then wake up to find the phone very very hot to a degree I thought it will not turn on again (73% battery remaining) clicked the power button, black screen with stuck loading appeared, long pressed the back button to discover this is the start screen itself. Turned off the phone then switched it on again, worked again but instantly the heat rises again without doing anything. Turned it off again until it became cold and turned it on and again the heat return without opening anything. Then turned off backup settings and every other settings even the battery saver it self turned off from the background. Restart again still there is heat but after 5 min things become better. Now there is heat but don't know what to do.

My main concern hear is the phone being heated to this insane level. At this level of heat I'm afraid the phone makes fire while sleeping or explodes.
As much as I'm being crazy to have WP8.1 as much as I'm afraid from my phone now.

Anyone can help, anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?
So sad 😢
I have updated my 1520 and it has not overheated. I have had it freeze once which meant I had to do a hard reset. I put it it down to being RTM and and not the full release. I am sure if MS hears about these issues they will be resolved. I hope things get sorted for you.

thefanfx

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
well there could be a small number of unaffected devices , but you can see even inside this forum and inside this post , i'm not the only one with same issue and i'm sure i can't resolve it by myself since it's OS issue.

Again MS and NOKIA should pay attention specifically to that particular issue since it's life treating

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
My 1520 has this issue. I removed cortana live tile. Set email syncs for every 30 mins. I have the phone now cooled down. May be it is related to cortana. My wife has 1020 and it doesn't have this issue. She doesn't use cortana much.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If your're having hardware derived issues from the update like draining battery & excessive heat, you should have expected & excepted the possibility of something not working properly until your phones firmware(device specific drivers) are updated. That's what you get with a "developer/early adopter preview without firmware updates...

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
If your're having hardware derived issues from the update like draining battery & excessive heat, you should have expected & excepted the possibility of something not working properly until your phones firmware(device specific drivers) are updated. That's what you get with a "developer/early adopter preview without firmware updates...

No I shouldn't. First, it is RTM version and there will not be update anytime soon. Second, I don't expect my phone to meld even if its beta. This is not accepted. There is a possibility that the nokia cyan update is minor change and don't expect so much from it.
I can accept some software bugs but not major issues as this.
I'm very WP ****** but lets be realistic and say facts.
Microsoft people talked about the preview confidently and so decided to install it. Again I'm responsible of any bugs bother me as it is not "final" as you think but I don't expect risking my phone being melded.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
As someone suggested earlier try to start with a hard reset without restoring the apps. I had similar issues on both my Lumia phones but the situation drastically improved after starting fresh.

Raj Soni

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I am having the serious battery drain issue after this update. Mine battery is draining about 20% per hour. May be next update would fix this issue. I have to charge my phone in every 4-5 hour. I have disabled Cortana but still nothing happened.I am using Lumia 925.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No I shouldn't. First, it is RTM version and there will not be update anytime soon. Second, I don't expect my phone to meld even if its beta. This is not accepted. There is a possibility that the nokia cyan update is minor change and don't expect so much from it.
I can accept some software bugs but not major issues as this.
I'm very WP ****** but lets be realistic and say facts.
Microsoft people talked about the preview confidently and so decided to install it. Again I'm responsible of any bugs bother me as it is not "final" as you think but I don't expect risking my phone being melded.

And you know for a fact they will make no more internal fixes to the core OS before GD? They won't fix any bugs? I'll answer for you... yes they will.

You seemed to have missed the part about manufacutuer firmware updates which have not been released yet. Most of the hardware related issue are firmware issues.

Next time wait for the GD with firmware release from your carrier & save yourself the trouble. Read the fine print, it says install at your own risk. You took the risk & lost....

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
And you know for a fact they will make no more internal fixes to the core OS before GD? They won't fix any bugs? I'll answer for you... yes they will.

You seemed to have missed the part about manufacutuer firmware updates which have not been released yet. Most of the hardware related issue are firmware issues.

Next time wait for the GD with firmware release from your carrier & save yourself the trouble. Read the fine print, it says install at your own risk. You took the risk & lost....

Yes they will and I didn't say they won't, but the question is when? this RTM version will for sure ship on new devices next month. Imagine you purchase a new 930 with such issues.
Ok we are looking at this issue from different perspectives. My main point is that they shouldn't release the preview if they know about such serious heat problem, and I think they knew about it before they released it. I'm not talking if it is legal to break my phone and if they didn't alert me to install at my own risk. I'm just talking and discussing that they were wrong releasing this version with such serious issue. They released it for Developers and they knew some non developers will download it, so you assume just because they warned it is a preview so no problem and ok lets fire our phones.

I did download many "beta" software in my life but and almost no one seemed to meld while using it, but this RTM "Preview" looks like alpha version.
I'm so excited about 8.1 but its not bad to mention that they were wrong releasing it.

German_Hawkeye

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem, but not since WP 8.1 the first days with WP 8.1 there was no battery drain. But since the WPCentral app update(no i dont think it's the app, thats just a coincidence) the 1520 is not responsive, if you unlock it there is no reaction or it says resuming or loading, it is hot and the battery is draining like crazy. Sometimes the phone restarts itself, often during battery loading. I checked the Battery Saver settings no app shows any indicaction of heavy battery drain. I dont think the battery saver itself is faulty so i think it is something that is not listed in the battery saver. So i checked my accounts and my Google Account is greyed out and syncing always. So i cant go to the settings of that account nor delete it. A softreset doesnt change that, putting the phone in airplane mode makes the battery drain even worse, from over 90-9% in 4,5 hours.
The eerie thing is my 920 has the same Google account problem but lies here in airplane mode on and WiFi on and doesnt have the drain problem.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
After updating my 1520 to 8.1, my device sometimes suddenly getting so much hot at top left side (front and back) to a degree I thought its melded and the battery discharged 25% per hour. Happened 3 times in the first 2 days then I did a hard reset, then everything were ok for one day and again I did fully charge it (many settings turned off, wifi, data, bluetooth, location, nfc, IE syncing, advertizing ID) and also closed all apps running then put it into stand by, slept for less than one hour then wake up to find the phone very very hot to a degree I thought it will not turn on again (73% battery remaining) clicked the power button, black screen with stuck loading appeared, long pressed the back button to discover this is the start screen itself. Turned off the phone then switched it on again, worked again but instantly the heat rises again without doing anything. Turned it off again until it became cold and turned it on and again the heat return without opening anything. Then turned off backup settings and every other settings even the battery saver it self turned off from the background. Restart again still there is heat but after 5 min things become better. Now there is heat but don't know what to do.

My main concern hear is the phone being heated to this insane level. At this level of heat I'm afraid the phone makes fire while sleeping or explodes.
As much as I'm being crazy to have WP8.1 as much as I'm afraid from my phone now.

Anyone can help, anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?
So sad 😢

Try turning off WiFi sense. I too was seeing similar issues until I disabled it. I have a bunch of the other background stuff running. Cortana live tile, LTE etc...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte