Microsoft stopped WP8.1 Developer Preview update for all devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daredevildan

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Everyone saying it's crap needs to take a deep breath and a step back. If you don't like playing with beta or even not final release software then don't become a "developer" and install this update. I've put it on my L920 and L1520 with zero problems on each device. I'm not saying everyone, but I wonder how many people didn't follow instructions on the update. Maybe you thought your phone was stuck so you did a hard reset and jacked things up. If your computer was in the middle of an update and you did a hard reset then yes you're gonna have problems. If you don't shut things down correctly you're gonna have problems. If you don't update your apps (or the developer doesn't update their software to work with the new update) then you're gonna have problems. Bottom line, this "developer preview" is for people who want to test things out and give feedback. If you're having a problem there is a place to submit issues or suggestions and it's not on WPCentral. Go to the MS forums and post there. If you aren't willing to do that then wait for your carrier to update your phone.

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
This, exactly.

Changes to the Photo hub...changes to the awesome scrolling pictures reel.

Changes in the Phone app. Accidentally click on a name while scrolling through recent calls? You're calling them (removed the circled call icon to left). Click on the Contacts icon at the bottom? Well now it's a phonebook and you're calling them when you tap their name instead of looking something up (because heaven forbid a smartphone have multiple capabilities).

THE GOSHDANG MUSIC APP WTF IS THIS STUFF -- I MEAN SERIOUSLY? When we left WP7 behind we wanted gapless playback, maybe better podcast support? They've gone backwards ever since. Seriously backwards.

Games Hub. Not a hub anymore. Just junk.

Messaging. Not a hub anymore.

Me tile. No more integrated social functions. Could still break this stuff out into a Me system level app, updateable but not in your app list, keep up with API changes and the like. Instead I get to stare at the screen for 13 seconds while my 520 pounds away at the bloat of the FB app.

Background tasks. Where are they? Who the hell knows? Did the latest FB just re-enable background tasks for it? Well, it's not at the top anymore so let me scroll all over the place aaahhhh to hell with it. Used to be so easy. Tap, swipe, tap, looook for offenders. Why wasn't it just integrated into there?

The lag is amazing. I go back to the Start screen and it's like being on my old OG Droid and the days of launcher redraws while I wait for things to fill in again.

edit:

why did WP7 have Zune on the desktop with easy syncing support INCLUDING wifi and we have to use Win8 with the worst program ever designed while plugged in and multiple songs AND THROWS ALL THIS CRAP ACROSS THE ROOM :crying::eck::devil:
I agree with all your complaints! Seriously the lag, the cursor, the lack of hubs is KILLING ME!

anon8091350

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
updated 820 to 8.1 preview as soon as available, installed with no problems and everything working ok,
being in UK had to change to US region and Cortana did not like my accent,so tried American one
and only a few mistakes at my first attempts then she worked very well, hope the UK version
keeps the same voice for Cortana as i personally like it, this update brings many needed features,
the apps to SD card and extra row of tiles very useful, but the pull down notification centre is excellent,
have been with windows phone since the start and its been a long road ( still have two 7 phones in use)
looking forward to Nokia extras when official update and UK Cortana arrives,
only minor problem is a few third party apps not working well and need updates to 8.1 in near future,
glad to have this preview a good experience,waiting for 930 to arrive.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I installed it same day as released. ..my lumia 1020 is working gr8...I think better than 8...it is more snappy and fast....

sent from Lumia 1020 or Note 3 dual sim

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
to daredevildan: all indications have been that this *is* the final software (this sudden halt notwithstanding -- which doesn't mean there will be any change to software -- could be as simple as throttling the load on Cortana for now) just like it was with GDR3.

There is a world of difference between bugs and glitches and very definitive design decisions that to many, seem to represent a loss of what made WP a unique alternative to iOS and Android.

As for posting complaints about those sort of things on MS forums: it has been done. Of course, years of experience* tells most of us that if anything at all is done, it will be the opposite of what we ask, so venting here is the last step before falling to the dark side. In general however, I think the suggestions go into the virtual equivalent of the circular file over there.

* Zune, WHS, WMC, WP.

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I installed it too in my 720 and no problem at all
actually my quality of network is more good after upgrade, no more delay notification which I notice in wp 8
just a little lag when do animation to home screen, that's it, no big deal

klapatas

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
bull****. 8.1 is by far the most lightweight fast stable and full featured edition. i have it installed on lumia 920, 925 and 1020.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
geez so much whining in this forum. I have the update on L625. the only problem I had was a restart and heat one week only one time. For the cursor there is not problem here work just as before just different look. This update is a different way to work with.Battery life better. I don't do game. Music: I need to test it again might not plat nice in my Dodge ram 2500, 2011 via bluetooth. Photo hub fine with me that we have to use automatic upload only.
The L625 need to have a better processor when doing internet cause it is not that fast. That a hardware part. Cortana so far so good in Canada for what I use it for.

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I installed it too in my 720 and no problem at all
actually my quality of network is more good after upgrade, no more delay notification which I notice in wp 8
just a little lag when do animation to home screen, that's it, no big deal
That's what I'm talking about, it feels like Android when it does that :/

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
It proves nothing, simply WP8.1 is buggy garbage right now, so they decided to stop giving it away, until they fix their ****

I've had no major issues so far. One minor bug that was present in Update 3 is worse in 8.1, but apart from that it's been great. My phone runs faster for many tasks, enjoys better battery life, and has a metric ton of new features that make it easier and more intuitive to use. Word Flow is making this post its *****! I'm still getting used to it, but even with "wrong turns" in my swipes it still hammers out the right word 99% of the time, and the other 1% of the time the actual word shows up in the suggestions. It's amazing!

There are a few things making the rounds of this forum and being written about on the main site that Microsoft inexplicably changed which should've been left alone (I'm looking at you, Xbox Music...) but the experience thus far, for me, has been superb.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I agree with all your complaints! Seriously the lag, the cursor, the lack of hubs is KILLING ME!

I also agree with all his complaints, apart from not having encountered any lag at all. With just one caveat: Once I realized how the new cursor works, I acclimated to it fairly quickly... I'm not sure why they changed it, though. If it ain't broke...

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
As much as I love these versions being public available, I almost wish they wouldn't do it and keep it closed to MSDN just to stop people that have no clue and just complain when nobody forced this update on them and it is simply not a finished product (though likely the core is close).

tumblr_m961tmUFcj1r3qnxf.gif

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
It's a developer preview..... This is why companies pull their hair out with people saying its garbage, etc. It's available for people to try out, test code against, get a sense of what's working, what's tempermental, etc. The core has few problems. Most are app specific and many are already fixed or in the process of being fixed. Others will be fixed with vendor specific firmware/updates. As much as I love these versions being public available, I almost wish they wouldn't do it and keep it closed to MSDN just to stop people that have no clue and justcomplain when nobody forced this update on them and it is simply not a finished product (though likely the core is close).

Well said ! Its a developer preview for developers to test their apps. It is not right to complain against something that is not yet fully released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12