How to convert a phone call to a video call? The Skype button is always grayed out.

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Has anyone been able to use the feature to convert a voice cell call to a Skype call? I tried this while on a call with my wife. We both have Skype. Both had the app running in background before making the phone call, but to me the option appears grayed out, so can't convert it to a Skype video call. I can start a video call with her just fine with the Skype app. I just don't have the button to convert the cellular call to a Skype call. Does she also need to be in 8.1 preview for this to work? I'm using 8.1 preview, she is using 8 Black, both phones are Lumia 920.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The Skype app needs to receives a big update for this feature to become active.
Hopefully the Skype team will roll it out soon.

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
It's working fine. U need to Marge the Skype contact with outlook contact.

Joe Belfiore tweeted that an update is required. Yours works already? Whilst you are actually in a call you can click on the skype button with a video cam picture on it, in the dialer and convey the call to Skype mid-call?

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone who have responded so far. I have her Skype, Facebook and her contact in my Microsoft account all linked. I recently received an update in Skype, but not sure if it is the update chenhogi and JasonKruys are referring to, since it still not working for me.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
This is already working. I can press the 'upgrade to video call' button when talking to my wife. Could it be that you both need to be on WP8.1?

Bleak_Morn

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Spoke with the lead dev on the WP Skype app this morning.
He had me examine a contact I couldn't upgrade to Skype during a call.
You should be able to see a "skype" section indicating that the contact is linked to a Skype contact.
The person also needs to have the phone number you're calling in their Skype profile (and the same number can't be associated with more than one contact - for example a business number used to access multiple employees, or a home number used to reach several family members)
Swipe right to the "connect" tab and if the feature is working, you will see Skype listed.
If you don't see Skype listed, it won't work.
They're aware of the issue and are investigating the cause so they can deliver a fix.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Spoke with the lead dev on the WP Skype app this morning.
The person also needs to have the phone number you're calling in their Skype profile.
Hopefully that won't always be the case. The OS should be smart enough to just hand off the call the linked contact regardless of what phone number they have listed in their Skype profile. And hopefully they'll figure out a better way to connect you to your contacts that have Skype accounts. This whole business of needing to search for people in the Skype directory then exchanging invitations is too much of a hassle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psyduck