Battery after the 8.1 update, do you have a solution?

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I guess my device can wait a little bit for a firmware fix. I am glad I can manage to get through the day still with these issues.

Stuart Gray

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
If you have a Gmail account on your phone switch it to manual, something is wrong with the Sync for Gmail in 8.1
I upgrade on April 14th and my phone started draining at 20% per hour in Standby mode, I would have to charge it twice per day with virtually zero use. Finally resolved it yesterday. I tried everything else suggested here on the forums and nothing made an impact (even putting it in flight mode didn't stop the drain). Gmail at 30 minute or 2 hour intervals didn't work either but when I switched it to manually sync it fixed it, now draining about 5 to 6% per hour in Standby mode.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I noticed the battery of my Lumia 720 also getting worse after the 8.1 update. It is quite noticeable actually. However, as this is a preview of sorts, these kinds of things should be expected. In fact, I had expected the operation of the phone to be quite bad, but was pleasantly surprised. I like most of the new features. But there is one point. All these features - or at least most of them - require the phone to be connected (either by WIFI or by Cellular). In other words, the default condition of the phone - for it and its accompanying software including apps to perform as per their design-intent - requires for it to be connected. To shut off services in a bid to conserve battery is not a solution (except when in extreme circumstances you are running low of battery after prolonged usage). I like the idea of that Ashar Hassan mentions about regarding "location". It is logical for the phone to identify location one and share that with all apps that require location information rather than each app seeking the same information independently. Similar kinds of functional rationalizations - of which optimization for better battery results - can probably be done and I expect such things to happen either by the time the full consumer version is released or via updates immediately after.

JamesJinSC

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I hate the battery is non-removable, had I known that, I would have saved my cash and bought my first choice, an 808 pureview. My last 2 phones were Nokia E5's, I had 12 batteries in rotation, never had any downtime, even when I lost my power for 5 days in a storm a couple of months back.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
It was worse at first, but at idle just sitting there I'm getting about 48 hours of standby time. Overall, if I've lost any battery life, I'm really not noticing it.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
My battery life on my icon has not been quite as good as before, but not terrible. I'd still prefer it to be as good as I can get it. So I'm tweaking stuff and finding some more good tweaking tips in this thread. Thanks to the tip posters. :smile:

Eric Roberge

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Was bad the first few days on my 920, but I expected that given no firmware update and me wanting to look at my new home screen every 2 minutes ;-)
Made some changes on whats running in the background and a few reboots. Better now, but not quite as good as before. I usually reboot my phone every couple of days once I notice a drop in battery life. That seems to help. I'm sure the upcoming carrier firmware will help everyone's situation.

benedict

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
8.1 has changed how background tasks are handled, a lot of apps are enabled in the background post the update,
use battery saver to disable all the tasks running in the background which may hog the battery, e.g. radio app runs in the background, but even when disabled radio still plays,and the new music app has syncing enabled, disable this if you don't have Xbox music pass and post update WhatsApp can't receive messages with the task blocked in the background, I hope the team releases the update soon,
go in to battery saver and disable the apps you had disabled post the update.

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Sigh, I remember the base version of WP, before Portico. I could almost 2 days out of my Lumia 822

You also had 70% less features.

My battery on my 925 is also better. Right now I am on 12% with 1 day and 12 hours since last charge. I did use Whatsapp a lot today (it is the biggest drain on my phone). listened to music through bluetooth for 20 minutes. I did not do a hard reset after update. I only have the following apps in the background: Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, The Weather Channel, Runtastic Pro and Skype. 1 Outlook.com address on push receive. I say it's not too bad!

Ps. Never charge your phone for a long time when it is already fully charged! It is bad for the battery. I NEVER charge my phone while sleeping!

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
You also had 70% less features.

My battery on my 925 is also better. Right now I am on 12% with 1 day and 12 hours since last charge. I did use Whatsapp a lot today (it is the biggest drain on my phone). listened to music through bluetooth for 20 minutes. I did not do a hard reset after update. I only have the following apps in the background: Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, The Weather Channel, Runtastic Pro and Skype. 1 Outlook.com address on push receive. I say it's not too bad!

Ps. Never charge your phone for a long time when it is already fully charged! It is bad for the battery. I NEVER charge my phone while sleeping!

Actually, this is not quite true. Modern batteries and their management systems turn off the charging when the battery is full. Take a look here under the Lithium-Polymer column in response to the question: "Must I remove the battery when full"? : Frequetly Asked Questions on How to Charge Batteries

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I updated this post with tips for anyone with battery issues.

Try turning off WiFi sense to see if that makes a difference. I have background on for here drive, Cortana, location, push email, weather, news, sports and a few others, plus IE Tab syncing. Turning off WiFi sense seems to have made a big difference.

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm fairly new to WP, so I'm curious what user expect in battery life. I've had my Icon for about 3 weeks, initially on 8.0 and now on the 8.1 Dev Preview.

My normal use pattern is in my office, predominantly on WiFi. I've been traveling every week over time I've owned Icon, so I've spent a great deal of time on 4G as well. I keep my location services and bluetooth on most of the time. Obviously, if I use mapping or navigation, battery life does suffer, but I only use that occasionally.

In a typical day, I usually get 20 to 24 hours of battery life with this use pattern. Coming from Android, I view this as very good and easily meets my expectations. I usually take my phone off charger at about 6 AM and it easily lasts until 10-11 pm when I place it back on wireless charger.

So I'm curious - did I get lucky and receive an Icon with better than average battery life? Or do WP users expect even more?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)