Battery after the 8.1 update, do you have a solution?

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Many people were reporting about the less battery life that came with the 8.1 update to our beloved Lumia's. Does anyone have a fix yet?
I read all over the place people that did a hard reset, with some saying it fixed it, while others still think the problem is there. I haven't done a hard reset myself, because it's gonna take lots of time (and data) to download, so I wanted to make sure before I did it if it would help.

My experience is as follows:
- I have had my device for about 3 months.
- My average battery time is 1 day and 7 hours.
- Now it manages to get around a day.
- I've opened up the battery saver app, there was an IMAP Email account that drained lots of battery, I removed it.
- I shut every non used app that runs in the background from battery saver.
- I turned off the location (so Cortana will turn off too).
- I still haven't got back the battery life I had before this update, still gets around a day (lost around 7 hours).
- I tried some of the tips below, but I still cannot say that battery life is the same it was before the update, especially when I am using the phone (not idle).

[TIP]
Edit: Here is a collection from all the tips I gathered through reading in the forums (not in order):

1- Turn off Bluetooth, NFC, location and Wifi when they aren't in use.
2- Turn off Cortana from the settings menu.
3- Turn off sync for Internet Explorer from settings.
4- Uninstall Nokia Play To app and Nokia Beamer (They are buggy, and cause some scrolling issues).
5- Remove non used apps from the background, you can do that in the battery saver.
6- Turn off glance screen, and double-tap to wake up.
7- Turn off the auto update feature for apps in the marketplace.
8- Turn off the Auto backup for videos and images.
9- Switch to 2G if you are on Wifi from cellular settings.
10- Remove any IMAP and POP push emails. (There is a problem with them).
11- Check the battery saver app to see if there is any problem of any app that uses much battery than normal.
12- Remove the battery saver app from running in the background.
13- Turn on battery saver mode and monitor your battery performance.
14- Do some cycles for your battery: Charge your device fully, let the battery drain to 0%, then charge it to full again. Do it for 3-4 times.
15- Do a soft-reset: hold down your volume down and power buttons for 10 seconds.
16- Some suggest that doing a hard reset could turn back everything to the way it was, I haven't done that yet so I don't know if it could help or not, but try this after you've tried everything above.
17- If your problem persists after doing all of the above, you have to wait for an official firmware from Nokia, until then you can either downgrade your device to WP 8.0, a guide from this Youtube video: HERE.
Or you can help Microsoft by installing the Diagnostics app from HERE.
[/TIP]

Waiting for your replies, I also made a poll to see if anyone else is having battery issues.

Last edited:

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
1. This is a DEV PREVIEW full of BUGS and doesn't have accompanying FIRMWARE to help ease the pain.
2. Location services and IE are the biggest culprits.
3. Push email sucks you dry.
4. My battery life deteriorated by just about an hour or two, though it got better after doing what I will tell you down below.

My tips:
1. Fully charge your phone, and allow it to slowly discharge itself by normal usage, nothing too heavy and allow it to die off (switch off).
2. Charge it up again and repeat the cycle 3 or 4 times and return back to your old habits.

3. Use WiFi or better still, turn off Cellular when not required.
4. Turn off bluetooth.
5. Turn off "Internet Explorer" in backup.
6. Turn off the tab sync in IE.
7. Turn off "Periodically save phone location" in Find my phone.

[TIP]Convey this concept to MSFT:
As of now the location services get triggered by individual applications and that leads to it being triggered as many times as the number of apps that are requesting it. (I can say this for sure as I see the location symbol coming up and going off 5 times consecutively after almost every 40 minutes or so.)
This means that right now I have 5 apps namely Cortana, Bing Weather, Facebook Messenger, Awesome Weather HD and one is the setting that allows periodical saving of location to help find phone. It makes the battery consumption high as each app requests the data by using the connection (WiFi, cellular or just Cell ID) and that sucks!
What if, Microsoft made a background process that would save all location related info (either online or offline as in on the cloud or on my phone) and push them to apps when they inquire the location. That would save a lot of precious power.[/TIP]

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
1. This is a DEV PREVIEW full of BUGS and doesn't have accompanying FIRMWARE to help ease the pain.
2. Location services and IE are the biggest culprits.
3. Push email sucks you dry.
4. My battery life deteriorated by just about an hour or two, though it got better after doing what I will tell you down below.

My tips:
1. Fully charge your phone, and allow it to slowly discharge itself by normal usage, nothing too heavy and allow it to die off (switch off).
2. Charge it up again and repeat the cycle 3 or 4 times and return back to your old habits.

3. Use WiFi or better still, turn off Cellular when not required.
4. Turn off bluetooth.
5. Turn off "Internet Explorer" in backup.
6. Turn off the tab sync in IE.
7. Turn off "Periodically save phone location" in Find my phone.

[TIP]Convey this concept to MSFT:
As of now the location services get triggered by individual applications and that leads to it being triggered as many times as the number of apps that are requesting it. (I can say this for sure as I see the location symbol coming up and going off 5 times consecutively after almost every 40 minutes or so.)
This means that right now I have 5 apps namely Cortana, Bing Weather, Facebook Messenger, Awesome Weather HD and one is the setting that allows periodical saving of location to help find phone. It makes the battery consumption high as each app requests the data by using the connection (WiFi, cellular or just Cell ID) and that sucks!
What if, Microsoft made a background process that would save all location related info (either online or offline as in on the cloud or on my phone) and push them to apps when they inquire the location. That would save a lot of precious power.[/TIP]

1&2- I've done that already, I know about this tip, I do it when I feel that my battery isn't performing consistently with what I am used to.
3- I do that too, but I need this to get back to normal without me changing anything :/.
4- It is off.
5&6- Don't know how to do that, can you guide me? Couldn't locate it in IE settings.
7- It is off.

​Thank you for your reply :)

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Settings>sync my settings>deselect IE and maybe even app settings. Passwords and theme don't consume much by my experience.
I'm sorry, nothing like 6 exists. It is automatically controlled by 5.

NoRomBasic

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
For me it's really been about the same. As an FYI though I did a full reset on the my 1520 after installing 8.1DP. So it's basically a "clean" setup now.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is noticeably worse (can't even get through a whole day now) but of course YMMV as everyone uses their phones differently. I only have a few apps running in background now, and I've noticed that turning off Location helps immensely (I would always see the location icon appear about 4 or 5 times an hour, despite not doing anything on my phone at those times). Turning off the option for battery saver to run in the background has also helped with battery drain. Most of us are not going to see our battery life return to "normal" until Nokia releases the new firmware, and until we get the final bits for 8.1.

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
iam using lumia 620 , i tried all the tips you mentioned ,, and today , in additional to the tips . i set flight mode whole the day ,, but battery drain and warmth still presist
i just regret the update and by now im looking for flashing my device to wp 8.0
and the thing killing me is when somebody from Microsoft show up to say its gonna take few days until battery performance get back to normal .. its something delusional or placebo in a way to say with time you will get used to with the battery drain.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
For me it's really been about the same. As an FYI though I did a full reset on the my 1520 after installing 8.1DP. So it's basically a "clean" setup now.

Did you do a backup? Or you installed everything from the scratch again?
I am afraid if I did a hard reset, and installed everything the way it was, it will get back to the same position it is right now.

yehuda92

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The battery life on my phone has gone way down, it used to use less than 2% an hour when idle, now it uses over 7% I can barely make it through the night unplugged :crying:

zwuncki

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site

Dito. The first thing I do after a significant OS update: hardreset. And I always advice that to everyone!
Just to avoid bugs that many complain about. My battery life is fine, maybe even slightly better than before, and the only bug I have from time to time is that the lockscreen doesn't turn off. Besides that everything runs fine and battery is as good as ever.

But I turned off every app background setting and don't use NFC, BT or LTE!

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Dito. The first thing I do after a significant OS update: hardreset. And I always advice that to everyone!
Just to avoid bugs that many complain about. My battery life is fine, maybe even slightly better than before, and the only bug I have from time to time is that the lockscreen doesn't turn off. Besides that everything runs fine and battery is as good as ever.

But I turned off every app background setting and don't use NFC, BT or LTE!

Did you do a full backup of your device, or you just hard-reset and started from the scratch? I am asking because I am afraid if some apps data were causing problems, doing a hard-reset and then restoring the backup would return me to point zero. Any ideas?

guillams

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Did you do a full backup of your device, or you just hard-reset and started from the scratch? I am asking because I am afraid if some apps data were causing problems, doing a hard-reset and then restoring the backup would return me to point zero. Any ideas?
same question!

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
after installing dev preview i start having worse battery life. but after 4 days i saw much better battery life and didn't make any hard reset... the only thing diferent i made was charging the phone all night putting it off. and i am ok now, having facebbok, amazing weather, insider, simple calendar, awesome locker, my app free,running in the background... i unplluged the phone before yesterday at 10,30 am and put it charging again today at 1,00 am having 7% left. i think its ok. and doing a medium usage of applications and net and some calls...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Solution 1. Hard reset and start fresh.
Solution 2. Wait for firmware update.

Anything else, will only ease it i.e. stop battery consumption when ideal. Every time you use your device, it will get warm and use up battery faster than you imagine. Without correct firmware, it won't do a thing to make you feel better.

asylumxl

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
My 1520 had significantly worse battery life. Pre 8.1 DP it was showing about 1.5 days with normal use. After the update it was showing about 18 hours which, while usable, was a bit disappointing. I also experienced a few bugs, though nothing major, so decided to a hard reset and was glad I did. I now get roughly the same battery life. My tips would be:

1. Hard reset (restoring my phone seems to have not brought any of the bugs with it)
2. Turn off IE tab sync
3. Turn off unnecessary background tasks
4. Turn off Cortana's background task - This will prevent some features being used, but the task can be easily switched back on when needed
5. Set account sync interval manually

I still have quite a lot turned on and it works just fine now although WP 8.1 DP still has a bit more lag than WP 8 GDR3, but this will be fixed in Nokia Cyan I'm sure.

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site
? My Lumia 920 consume when is in stand by: 0% per hour

My Lumia 920 when I'm using: drains my battery about 18% per hour.

SO, we have to wait for firmware updates, there is no solution. The Dev Prev is raw by now... We need device by device corrections.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb