Icon WP8.1 Issues

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
So I've been playing with my icon since updating to 8.1 and have had all the problems people have been talking about, terrible Wi-Fi, horrible battery, power button issues and bad reception, as well as noticing that it gets quite hot when I do anything. I plugged it in and out was not charging, basically all the energy was converting to heat so I figured I'd go into battery safety mode and when that didn't really help I went into airplane mode, which finally let the phone cool down.

I know I am not the only one having problems and was wondering if other people had found any solutions yet. I am going to play around with some tools over at XDA to see if I can turn off LTE as I think that's part of the problem, but generally I think I may need to go back to 8.0 until this is sorted out (yes, you can do it with Nokia care suite and the right rom).

Edit: Shape writing is pretty good but not yet ready to type without checking what you wrote...

Last edited:

Jeremy Lebens

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
No solutions here. Very poor battery and also noticing the hotness. I pretty much had to not allow all apps but 5 or 6 and turn off wifi and everything else just to make sure it doesn't drain from 100% to 45% while in my pocket at work. Might have to just turn it off and not bother with it until my lunch breaks or something.

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
The only issue I've been having is sometimes when my phone is off for awhile it takes 3-5 seconds to turn the screen on when I pretty the power button. Doesn't seem to want to wake up. Maybe it's learning from me lol

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had one episode where I pulled out the phone and it was really hot and had used quite a bit of battery in the prior hour and a half or so (using the graph in Battery Level for WP8), and I had to do a power button / volume down reset. Other than that, the only problem I'm having is the occasional delay in waking up that others have documented.

When I first installed, I couldn't access the store, even after the store was fixed, so I did a hard reset. That resolved the store problem and a few other problems that I suspect were related to either the store or Microsoft account problems (couldn't access OneDrive, for instance). Nothing major for me to complain about.

Shadowlink1138

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
The only issue I've been having is sometimes when my phone is off for awhile it takes 3-5 seconds to turn the screen on when I pretty the power button. Doesn't seem to want to wake up. Maybe it's learning from me lol
I performed a hard reset this morning and now I am occasionally experiencing that delay. Before the hard reset a few times I had to use the camera button to wake the phone.

My battery life is shorter on 8.1 for sure, but I'll be watching it over the next few days to see what improvements the hard reset may have made.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Turning off Wi-Fi solved my power button delay issues, but I'm not using an Icon. Seems to be caused by connecting to secured Wi-Fi networks...just trying to help.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth I downgraded last night through Nokia software update for retail, then did fresh install so that when I upgraded to Windows phone 8.1 it wouldn't have any older programs on it, then updated, wiped the phone and restored from a previous backup and it seems to have fixed the problems, except for the poor reception issues. No more hour phone, much better battery life and the screen power button problems are not as pervasive

clavecinist

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious about how you restored using NSU. Every time I've tried to restore my phone back to WP8 using NSU or Nokia Recovery Tool they both tell me my model isn't supported. Care to share how you got this to work with an Icon?

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
All I did was download it, install it and basically hit run. I did it with both a 928 and Icon. Make sure you have a version that came out after your phone did (that was an issue with Nokia Care Suite).

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
The power button delay issue is the only real issue that I have noticed since upgrading my Icon, but it happened when I was in the car and on cellular data. I have had a couple of voicemails that didn't ring through to the phone, but I don't know if that was related to the update or not. I will see if they persist.

Other than that, my phone has been fine with it. The update itself took about a half hour from the start of the first update until my phone booted into 8.1 and was ready for use.

I did notice though that project my screen reports as not supported through wireless with my phone. It will only work through USB. I don't think this is a bug, but I don't know why it would be a hardware issue. Maybe the Nokia cyan hardware update will resolve it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa