WP playing music and videos shared on home server / NAS

chall3ng3r

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I have a server (Win2012 Essentials) setup for my home PCs, and I put my media and work backups on it.

My questions, is there option / feature in WP8.1 that can show media shared on network? Like when I open Windows Media Player on PC, I get my home server automatically listed as media library, and I can just play my music and videos directly. There's a Nokia Play To app, but it actually does the reverse, plays media on WP to TV / Xbox.

I think this is a must have feature for WP, as there are now lots of homes with more than one PCs / smartphones / tabs. Having same media stored on each device is not ideal, and most people opt to have a media server or NAS to share media across all these devices. I can play shared media from home server on my Android based phone (SGS2) and tablet (GalaxyTab2) and my Win8.1 based Dell XPS14, with rest of the PCs in my home. But only can't play on my Lumia 920.

If anyone have managed to get shared media play on WP, I'd be happy to hear how he/she did it. And if there's no option for this, I hope MS people are reading these forums time to time to check on feedback. I will try to send my feedback to them as well.

Do you guys feel the need for this scenario?

// chall3ng3r //

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
There are lots of applications for sharing media. I use an app called media buddy for videos and TV, and albums. Its music sharing is limited, but I know it is very possible.

chall3ng3r

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys for suggestions. Gonna explore these apps in few days. It would be great if native Music and Video apps simply list the media shared on home server automagically, just like it does on desktop.

// chall3ng3r //

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss