Why are so many of you talking badly against WP8.1?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I feel Microsoft is taking one step forward and two steps back. They neutered the peoples hub so that it no longer supports Facebook messaging. They gave us a BETA music player that is so minimalist. Where are the dynamic playlists, or rating system, or support for audiobooks and lectures, why is it so sluggish.

Instead of fixing what was broken, they broken what was fixed.! :)

Exactly! ZUNE is the best example of this. It's a wonder that the ZUNE PC desktop software has been depreciated somewhat and is still miles ahead of the fledgling Xbox Music. How does that happen? Who does that?

Samm Neiland

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm mostly positive on WP8.1 because it does a lot of things that I feel are really VERY helpful for me. The notification centre in particular being a god-send not to mention Cortana's ability to HEAR what you say far and above exceeds the previous speech recognition. I was also extremely surprised as to how much I use Word Flow given I figured it was going to be totally gimmicky.

That said though, there are a lot of issues with Windows Phone 8.1's preview build, particularly in regards to how it handles media. Its tools are still very good (Camera, Office stuff, Cortana, general GUI functions) but it seems like Microsoft has been focusing so much on how to make those tools more powerful and useful and have forgotten about making sure there's a good way to access the content you load on to the phone. However, given that Microsoft rather quickly has responded to things about app problems (mentioning biweekly updates, asking for opinions from its users, etc), its nice to see them treating the Preview almost a bit like a Beta. I don't think they had that luxury last time given WP7 and WP8 were running under completely different specs and architecture.

Anyway, I think that at its core, WP 8.1 at this current preview stage is a tremendous step above 8.0 in many respects, but where it currently falls short seems to be things that can be solved easily given enough time and resources are pumped into them. Then again, maybe I drank some magic Kool-aid that Microsoft has been providing.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm beginning to suspect that some of those who complain are trolls, some of them are not providing any screenshot.

Agree. Even though dev preview is still in beta I think that it is not so horrendous. People complaining are either those who see the cup half empty as suppose to half full or trolls for sure.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
These threads clearly show that Microsoft should not release their next beta so widely. It's a shame, because there are people who understand the idea, but there are way too many who don't. How many people here even know how to submit a bug report?

Regarding speed - I would expect a final release to be faster. Betas typically have a certain amount of debug code included, to help identify problems, etc.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
These threads clearly show that Microsoft should not release their next beta so widely. It's a shame, because there are people who understand the idea, but there are way too many who don't. How many people here even know how to submit a bug report?

The only thing in beta is Cortana.

Again, this is not a "preview", this build was released to manufacturers. This is their software that they released.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
The only thing in beta is Cortana.

Again, this is not a "preview", this build was released to manufacturers. This is their software that they released.

Um, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the clue is in the name - "developer preview". What do you mean by "this build was released to manufacturers"? I'm sure Microsoft release lots of builds to manufacturers, for testing, comment, etc. That doesn't mean they are ready, intended or licensed for use in products.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I really liked the hubs concept of Windows Phone. But it was a failed concept. The pictures hub never saw any integration with non-Microsoft apps like Flickr. The Music hub was really cool, but Microsoft could not update this without updating the firmware, and we all see how carriers push back on any updates to the phone.

I don't think Microsoft chose to eliminate the hubs to make us all hate our phones. Standalone apps are beyond the carrier's control, therefore its the only way to frequently update.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Um, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the clue is in the name - "developer preview". What do you mean by "this build was released to manufacturers"? I'm sure Microsoft release lots of builds to manufacturers, for testing, comment, etc. That doesn't mean they are ready, intended or licensed for use in products.

Well, this one is (intended for products).

"developer preview" is just the name they've chosen to give the way they go around the carriers.

WP8.1 has been released. The only difference is we don't have the specific handset drivers.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
These are the things I don't like about 8.1
1. Removal of Photos Hub
2. Games added into the app list
(No. Music hub is not a negative for me, since its upgradable outside of OS updates)

...that's it. Everything else from the 8.1 is either a much needed or a very welcome new feature. There is absolutely no way I can now go back to WP8.

Also given how easy it was to enroll into the developers program which app studio provided for free alongside the extensive number of guides given in this site, I believe there are a lot of people got into it who are not ready to do a preview test and handle the teeny tiny bugs without breaking harlem.

But the bottom line is 8.1 is an incredible update. And its only going to get better.

K3n1x

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
People just need to wait for the apps to update to bring back missing features. Hence, "Preview for Developers." Sure, the core OS may have been finished but the apps aren't. But the foundation is there for apps to plug into the hubs.

My take is most of the core apps/hubs have been rewritten since they have been decoupled from the OS. Maybe, they are early port from the Windows 8.1 version. Microsoft have been touting Universal apps for WP 8.1 after all.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

"developer preview" is just the name they've chosen to give the way they go around the carriers.

WP8.1 has been released. The only difference is we don't have the specific handset drivers.

Please provide some evidence to back up these claims.

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Relax guys, this is just a preview of the actual release. (but reviewers was given early copy to review for public consumption).

In short this is the RTM disguised as a preview. :smile:

Last edited:

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
Just google wp8.1 RTM. Man, this isn't opinion, it's a widely known fact. Stop acting like I'm claiming the world is ending or something

Great news! Windows Phone 8.1 has RTM’ed after all! | WMPoweruser

With new devices inbound, Windows Phone 8.1 hits RTM status - TechSpot

RTM doesn't mean it's the version people will use on final devices. With Win8 RTM and there was an update available the day was released to the public. I fully expect a patch and several large updates to the major apps before release. They've already confirmed there's updates to many apps coming. Most of the MS apps are separate from the OS now so it unclear which are "finished" and which will be updated in the future. They could easily RTM the OS itself and then release day one updates to all the major apps just as they did with Win8.

Also it's never been confirmed that the Dev Preview is the RTM version. Joe Belfiore said that some features of 8.1 (like the updated lock screen) aren't part of the preview build which assuming they aren't being moved out of 8.1 would necessitate another update/build exists.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My battery got better. The battery of my 920 sucked during the first couple of days with windows phone 8.1 but now it's back to its former glory.

My only problem now is Xbox music which is literally crap.

I also disabled Cortana for battery purposes. I'll be back with her when the final release is out.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

u know, that would be true if MS opted to "not" fix any bugs we find right now, remember windows 7 dev preview? its the exact same thing, they will give the manufacturer an updated one once they are ready to release it (of course its not exactly the same scale)

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1 reviewed by several websites.

WPCentral
TheVerge
PhoneArena
Anandtech
Engadget
CNET
PocketNow
IGN
ETC

Yes this preview is for public consumption, this is the real deal. The "real dev preview" is the Windows Phone SDK, so devs can prepare for the release of Windows Phone 8.1. If you're waiting for the so called "official release" that's the carriers official release and not Microsoft's.

I hate it when a mod of a forum spread wrong info. See page 1 of this thread.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Just google wp8.1 RTM. Man, this isn't opinion, it's a widely known fact. Stop acting like I'm claiming the world is ending or something

Great news! Windows Phone 8.1 has RTM?€™ed after all! | WMPoweruser

With new devices inbound, Windows Phone 8.1 hits RTM status - TechSpot

We RTM our software to manufactures all the time (no, I don't work for MS), and yes, that is the 1st Step when installing it onto the device. However, at NO TIME, that I can remember, has that software ever been the final code base installed & deployed as GA code. Only what the 1st customers in our 'Early Adopter Program' use, and believe me, there are significant bugs in that software, that we follow up with patches as we fix the bugs.

So, technically, yes, its the 'final build' released at that time, and only at that time. By the time its officially released by the phone manufacturers, it will likely have either a respun 'final' RTM or a package of fixes installed on the phone during the official deployment.

We do it every time there's a software release...release to vendors, they find bugs, open up incidents/bug reports we fix and add it to our install package. Its how it works at large software vendors...the install process already looks for a patch package automatically and applies them. The RTM is the final build *SOMETIMES*, but the final product released to end users will be the 'RTM + MS Fixes/Patches + Vendor Firmware + Vendor Software' = GA

Right now we're only at the 'RTM' step...and I'm sorry, but we always can respin a new RTM package within a couple hours if we had enough changes/redesigns that we felt it was necessary. We always have a least a couple of those as well, especially if the patch package is quite large...we'll spin up a new one, notify vendors, and we move forward.

You're getting WAY to hung up on definitions on the internet...and without enough knowledge of how large software corporations actually function.

The only thing true about a 'Final' Package is that there is really no 'Final' Package...

Last edited:

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Aren't the custom lock screens missing from the Dev Preview but supposed to be in the final release? That right there is a significant feature that's not in the Preview. I'm just treating it like when I beta-tested Ultima Online: things will be wacky so don't take it too hard. If I have serious bugs on final release I'll complain publicly - until then I'll just file Dx reports to MS. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss