Huge Amazon device sale! Shop all the discounts now

06-22-2014 06:40 AM
147 12345 ...
tools
    I don't think they made a mistake but maybe for the next round they need to re-evaluate who will be able to get it.

As it stands it is not a dev preview since everyone and their mother got it. The problem is that not everyone and their mother understand that they don't have to download it. This is specially true of people that don't understand the development process. If they are not ready to deal with potential buggy software they should simply not get it. Because even if it is supposedly rtm the first time you release software to the masses new bugs that were never thought of will be found. It's the nature of development.

So from my point of view, for the next round limit it to the devs that are registered through the paying program.
    oditius, maj71303 and Residing like this.
    04-20-2014 08:39 AM
    iOS
    True but that is only for developers and you have to pay to become a developer for iOS.
    04-20-2014 08:52 AM
    Anyone that's complaining about 8.1 needs to pipe down. It's a huge step forward and as has been pointed out time and again, is currently in BETA. Stop filling up the forum with these kind of topics..yawn.
    Dk92, neo158 and aussiedog61 like this.
    04-20-2014 08:53 AM
    True but that is only for developers and you have to pay to become a developer for iOS.
    Yeah I was just letting him know. Kudos to Microsoft for allowing it for free.
    neo158 likes this.
    04-20-2014 09:04 AM

So from my point of view, for the next round limit it to the devs that are registered through the paying program.
    I would have paid for the privilege of having this update sooner. It would give me time to work with it before the final version and not be defined guessing it. If you think the complaints are bad now, wait for the final release when it is sent to the masses. I think once the ones that know nothing about their phones get it, (probably the only reason they don't have it now) there will be tons of uninformed complaints like there is on every new OS release.
    04-20-2014 09:07 AM
    I would have paid for the privilege of having this update sooner. It would give me time to work with it before the final version and not be defined guessing it. If you think the complaints are bad now, wait for the final release when it is sent to the masses. I think once the ones that know nothing about their phones get it, (probably the only reason they don't have it now) there will be tons of uninformed complaints like there is on every new OS release.
    The thing is people are adverse to change. I cannot really judge because I am guilty of it sometimes. (I still cannot get used to the new way to handle the damn cursor! It sucks for ever and I am going to fling my phone at a wall ).

There are definitely valid complaints. But, like you mention, there are plenty of complaints that are the result of ignorance. There will be a learning curve and in today's society patience does not really exist anymore. We want what we want and we want it NOW!
    04-20-2014 09:15 AM
    The thing is people are adverse to change. I cannot really judge because I am guilty of it sometimes. (I still cannot get used to the new way to handle the damn cursor! It sucks for ever and I am going to fling my phone at a wall ).

There are definitely valid complaints. But, like you mention, there are plenty of complaints that are the result of ignorance. There will be a learning curve and in today's society patience does not really exist anymore. We want what we want and we want it NOW!
    That damn cursor, I hate it!!! Lol
    04-20-2014 09:21 AM

Agreed, I spent the time getting used to WP8.1 using the emulator as part of the SDK so I was prepared for WP8.1 when it hit my phone and while I have a few minor issues they are mainly related to firmware, as far as I'm concerned Microsoft has done a good job of adding some pretty major things that require patience and time to get used to, some people seem to like complaining for the sake of it though.
    04-20-2014 09:26 AM
    I don't think they made a mistake but maybe for the next round they need to re-evaluate who will be able to get it.

As it stands it is not a dev preview since everyone and their mother got it. The problem is that not everyone and their mother understand that they don't have to download it. This is specially true of people that don't understand the development process. If they are not ready to deal with potential buggy software they should simply not get it. Because even if it is supposedly rtm the first time you release software to the masses new bugs that were never thought of will be found. It's the nature of development.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that everyone and their mother got it. Only those without the resolve to actually have some patience and wait for it to be released properly. I still haven't downloaded it because I'm too lazy to deal with all the faff of having to go and sign up and follow multiple steps just to get a preview :D and most people (like 90%) just won't know that there is even this update available until it actually appears on their phones later this year. As you said in your other post, patience doesn't really exist anymore - or at least, when it comes to smartphones; impatience and the desire to always have the newest and latest model is what the whole industry has come to rely on now. Why else would people pay hundreds of pounds/dollars/euros etc each year just to have something that could be bought many months later at a fraction of the price?
    04-20-2014 09:28 AM
    It's great that ms releases previews!! If someone doesn't like beta testing, they shouldn't install it.
    04-20-2014 09:39 AM
    I wouldn't go as far as saying that everyone and their mother got it. Only those without the resolve to actually have some patience and wait for it to be released properly.
    Hehe, yeah, that sentence was a hyperbole on purpose.
    04-20-2014 09:39 AM
    Now on the other side of the coin...

If Microsoft only releases it for paying devs we will have a bunch of people complaining about how they can't get it and why oh why is Microsoft asking for money to do this.

The same people that would be complaining right after installing it.

Haha, can't win!!
    daisy110, svenhassel and forked like this.
    04-20-2014 09:41 AM
    Things just worth differently now, I didn't like it at first either, but after seeing the twitter beta that released and how it integrates, I realize it is better. Now on the integration, thing will always be up to date. Nothing is broken about Me, Photos is much more straightforward, and idk wtf you're talking about on People. You sound as bad as the iPhone people who fear change.

Games is a mess, and so is Music, but those are really the only bad things right now; and those will be better as separate apps in the long run
    I complained about the disintegration of the hubs as well, such as the people hub. But this is definitely valid. We'll be able to have more updates so APIs stay current, and this actually takes advantage of deep pinning which I think is a huge feature for our phones. The problem is that it does take longer regardless, but this argument is like arguing speed of web browsers, which is faster by milliseconds; its really negligible, especially once Facebook is in background, its almost instant.
    04-20-2014 09:42 AM
    I complained about the disintegration of the hubs as well, such as the people hub. But this is definitely valid. We'll be able to have more updates so APIs stay current, and this actually takes advantage of deep pinning which I think is a huge feature for our phones. The problem is that it does take longer regardless, but this argument is like arguing speed of web browsers, which is faster by milliseconds; its really negligible, especially once Facebook is in background, its almost instant.
    Yes, my first reaction when I saw disintegration of the hubs with social apps was to grab the torch. I was already marching towards Redmond!

But instead I have thought about it and I now think it's genius. The possibilities of app integration to any hub are now endless. The sky is the limit.
    Last edited by Nimdock; 04-21-2014 at 10:59 AM.
    jmshub and forked like this.
    04-20-2014 09:44 AM
    Yes, my first reaction when I saw disintegration of the hubs with social apps was to grab the torch. I was already marching towards Richmond!

But instead I have thought about it and I now think it's genius. The possibilities of app integration to any hub are now endless. The sky is the limit.
    Separating the functionality was definitely genius, it allows for more possibilities such as integrating Instagram and path into the people hub as well.
    04-20-2014 10:03 AM
    I'd be crying right now if they didn't release it, it's so much better in so many aspects
    04-20-2014 10:05 AM
    WTF? Greatness... Really? This thing is a mess. I HATE what they did to the hubs. And a lot of others do too. Me tile is broken, People-Picture hubs are dead. I am not happy with this update.New features? Sure... but we're breaking others that you've had for 4 years.
    The new photos hub seems to be much more functional, and I like how it just defaults to the ALL photos by date, most of the stuff I ever want to access quickly is right there at the bottom. Music hub? Same functionality almost, and it was a necessary change to make it a standalone app.
    04-20-2014 10:13 AM
    I think it's great that Microsoft has made the Developer Preview so easy to get. The more people who test and provide feedback the better the official release will be. (assuming of course that Microsoft actually listens and addresses the issues).

But to all the whining and complaining about the lack of fit, finish, and quality of the current developer preview....

​THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!
    04-20-2014 10:24 AM
    To the OP, shut up and go buy a different phone or roll back to 8 so everything works like you want it to.

This is the beta program that Microsoft promised on the Windows Phone 8 announcement. After the fist updates came out and there was no preview, everybody screamed where is it, now that the have it they just complain about it. Seriously, get over it, IT IS A BETA.

Why it's good ?
    1. For devs and hobbyists, you get to see the new feature set, play with them, get a better idea on where they are going and supported systems features to make better apps, or just like a lot of us get to enjoy the new features.
    2. This is what it is, it is a PUBLIC beta test, Microsoft is monitoring forums, I would bet they are even watching this site. Why is this good ? Because the major feature problems will be worked on. Would of you preferred to get a public beta test on the final when it hits your phone ?

People need to get over this, IT IS A BETA, NOT THE RTM version... as these issues should be addressed before release.

They might of claimed GOLD or RTM but, I would almost bet all the major issues are being worked on now and there will be a patch or 2 to address most of these problems.

To release a really buggy update to everyone would just be a major black eye for Windows Phone, something that it CANT afford with the low market share that it has now.....
    04-20-2014 10:27 AM
    to the op, shut up and go buy a different phone or roll back to 8 so everything works like you want it to.

This is the beta program that microsoft promised on the windows phone 8 announcement. After the fist updates came out and there was no preview, everybody screamed where is it, now that the have it they just complain about it. Seriously, get over it, it is a beta.

Why it's good ?
    1. For devs and hobbyists, you get to see the new feature set, play with them, get a better idea on where they are going and supported systems features to make better apps, or just like a lot of us get to enjoy the new features.
    2. This is what it is, it is a public beta test, microsoft is monitoring forums, i would bet they are even watching this site. Why is this good ? Because the major feature problems will be worked on. Would of you preferred to get a public beta test on the final when it hits your phone ?

People need to get over this, it is a beta, not the rtm version... As these issues should be addressed before release.

They might of claimed gold or rtm but, i would almost bet all the major issues are being worked on now and there will be a patch or 2 to address most of these problems.

To release a really buggy update to everyone would just be a major black eye for windows phone, something that it cant afford with the low market share that it has now.....
    it is the rtm!!!! How many times have this been said already!!
    04-20-2014 10:35 AM
    it is the rtm!!!! How many times have this been said already!!
    Microsoft has confirmed Dev Preview is newer build than RTM.
    Last edited by desitunez; 04-20-2014 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling :)
    04-20-2014 10:37 AM
    I do not think they made a mistake in allowing people to gain access to it. T-Mobile has pretty much washed their hands of the Lumia 810 and the developer route is the only way I have to access the new OS.
    04-20-2014 10:43 AM
    Its a rushed product.. similar to what blackberry did with bugs / issues in build.

Imagine the havoc its going to cause when Carrier testing going to start for general public roll out.

It might not even pass carrier testing
    04-20-2014 10:50 AM
    I think that folks need to get over themselves. Yes, bug complaints are valid, but topics like these make me sick. Was this method, meant for developers to make apps for your phone so that when the official update comes you'll have something to play with instead of griping, a mistake? This topic and the other similar ones are a mistake
    MikeSo likes this.
    04-20-2014 11:15 AM
    Moderation needs to wipe them all.. All these trolls..
    04-20-2014 11:16 AM
147 12345 ...