Has Microsoft made a mistake releasing the Preview?

great_smell_of_brut

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Given the level of negativity on the forums, do people think that it was a mistake to allow the general public to download the Preview for Developers?

It's not that I feel the criticism of the build is unjustified - trust me, I've had my fair share of issues and I do feel that somehow something has been lost in the transition between 8.0 and 8.1

My question is more, has it been oversold as somehow the "finished article" when it isn't? Should this have been better explained? Should people outside the developer community have had access especially as manufacturers hadn't released updated firmware?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
no. they clearly stated that it is a "preview" and that it may have bugs.
it was entirely up to people to download or not.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I really like the update and my problems are minimal. I did some research before jumping aboard tho. Unfortunately tho some folks don't look before they leap and then are unhappy about it.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Some people just have no business getting into this type of thing. If people can't figure out simple troubleshooting steps, they shouldn't be anywhere near pre-released operating systems.

That said, the people who commonly post if forums are there because they have an issue. Your not going to see thread after thread of "no issue here, all good!".

daredevildan

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The only negative I see is that MS may stop opening the DP to people who don't pay to be a "developer" and that would be a shame. I take responsibility for what happens to my device if I want to put software on it that might not be ready for the masses. I don't want it to be like this for a few people then have to wait months for the final product to come from Nokia and then AT&T.

Danjp

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
There's a difference between complaining and constructive criticism, I believe most of these people are actually enthusiasts and like the windows phone platform and actually and treat the preview as what it is. The "this is so bad I'm going back to my iphone/android" crap is the minority of people, but they sure are loud.

People who can't afford to have something not working or have a business depending on their phone should not be using beta software period.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
This is no different than installing Update3 ahead of time. Microsoft said they would make update previews available to enthusiasts long ago when Windows Phone 8 was first introduced. They are doing as they said.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't want to live without 8.1 and the DP. They should have just had xbox music and the games hub ready to go. Everything else is greatness.

WTF? Greatness... Really? This thing is a mess. I HATE what they did to the hubs. And a lot of others do too. Me tile is broken, People-Picture hubs are dead. I am not happy with this update.New features? Sure... but we're breaking others that you've had for 4 years.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
No they should keep doing it as for people who whine now you learned what DEVELOPER PERVIEW mean don't install it in the future let the rest of us enjoy of what we have.

Paedin

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Given the level of negativity on the forums, do people think that it was a mistake to allow the general public to download the Preview for Developers?

No offense to this site or anything, but we aren't exactally the "general public". I don't know for sure, but I'd be shocked if the numbers supported that more than 10-15% of the whole WP userbase has this thing running on their device. I'd like to know the numbers count per say of WPCentral.com site visits by individual ip address (no logging the site 15-20times a day from same place). I'm sure its less than you think.

This is the whole point of a BETA program. You release it to hardcore people who want it early and can help you iron out all the kinks before you do release to the general public. circa how video games BETA programs work.

Maybe the BETA experience isnt for you and youd be happy just sitting back and waiting for the full rollout with the general public.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
WTF? Greatness... Really? This thing is a mess. I HATE what they did to the hubs. And a lot of others do too. Me tile is broken, People-Picture hubs are dead. I am not happy with this update.New features? Sure... but we're breaking others that you've had for 4 years.

Maybe you should have never upgraded from your flip phone. Perhaps it's not too late for you.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
And Actually..

Photo hub. This works a lot better now. Before I had my 6 albums on my phone and 30 from facebook and skydrive. Now I have a clean view of my 6 folders and still have access to onedrive and facebook from right in the hub.

People, this also works a lot better. Before the hub would always lose my place and reset. Also, pictures now look way better in the new hub. Posts show up better. Once the new apps are fully 8.1 ready, it'll be even better.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
No, I think this update is a defining moment, and while there are some bugs, I think the general feeling is that this update is s massive success.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Things just worth differently now, I didn't like it at first either, but after seeing the twitter beta that released and how it integrates, I realize it is better. Now on the integration, thing will always be up to date. Nothing is broken about Me, Photos is much more straightforward, and idk wtf you're talking about on People. You sound as bad as the iPhone people who fear change.

Games is a mess, and so is Music, but those are really the only bad things right now; and those will be better as separate apps in the long run

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
No offense to this site or anything, but we aren't exactly the "general public". I don't know for sure, but I'd be shocked if the numbers supported that more than 10-15% of the whole WP user base has this thing running on their device. I'd like to know the numbers count per say of WP Central.com site visits by individual IP address (no logging the site 15-20times a day from same place). I'm sure its less than you think.

This is the whole point of a BETA program. You release it to hardcore people who want it early and can help you iron out all the kinks before you do release to the general public. circa how video games BETA programs work.

Maybe the BETA experience isn't for you and you'd be happy just sitting back and waiting for the full roll out with the general public.

Key words bold in quoting Paedin.
I know 2 other WP users personally.
They have no interest in previews, updates, apps etc...
Basic users that will see an update and say "oh an update maybe I'll do that later" oblivious to any inner workings or what Microsoft, WPC or any other website may be doing in the tech sense.
App building, development, blabbing in a forum mean nothing to most.

Heck,
I've seen Amazon reviewers trashing Windows phones because the screen went black on their new phone after 5 minutes because they were clueless about the timeout.
This is where the user base for all platforms is sitting:
"Virtually uninformed" because the consensus is:
Most users are thinking that the device is responsible for teaching them how to use it.

No the release of the developer preview was certainly no mistake.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
No complaints here besides the music app....but then again I've been complaining since they got rid of Zune.

But my general consensus is...only release previews to devs. ...enthusiast or not, you're going to have complaints though...people should know what they are getting into before doing anything to their device.

If you don't like 8.1 and have a Lumia...you have no grounds to complain since you could go back to 8 simply by using the NCS/Software Recovery Tool.

Sorry that I'm so harsh here... the number one rule in the hacking community ....(not that I'm saying we're doing anything of sort here)...is to make sure you know what you're getting into/the risks BEFORE DOING ANYTHING to your device!

Paedin

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
No complaints here besides the music app....but then again I've been complaining since they got rid of Zune.

But my general consensus is...only release previews to devs. ...enthusiast or not, you're going to have complaints though...people should know what they are getting into before doing anything to their device.

If you don't like 8.1 and have a Lumia...you have no grounds to complain since you could go back to 8 simply by using the NCS/Software Recovery Tool.

Thats essentially what they did...YOU signed up for a developer account...You downloaded the Dev Preview app...You may not be developing and app...but you signed up for this.

- To follow that up...they want this critism...its called constructive critism...it helps them move forward and see what they did right and wrong...

Movies use test audiences, video games BETA testers, product review surveys, etc etc etc.

This is us helping Microsoft out really. We're pointing out the flaws for them ahead of time. So that when the thing goes live for real, the general public gets the polished version that we, in essence, helped them create.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12