Has Microsoft made a mistake releasing the Preview?

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It's a genius move really, hardcore users get a preview with a little effort (remembering that it's a preview), and casual users get a more polished official release, with input from the hardcore users. Really, who else does that?

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It's a genius move really, hardcore users get a preview with a little effort (remembering that it's a preview), and casual users get a more polished official release, with input from the hardcore users. Really, who else does that?
iOS

Paedin

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

Movies use test audiences, video games BETA testers, product review surveys, etc etc etc.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I have nothing but praise for the pre-release... I choose to do it and have had no issues thus far. I also think this is a great move for MS to get back into the market share, (Cortana), will be a big factor it this. I like that MS is moving fast with this, as well as on the DT. I hear way to much complaining for what has always been SOP...

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
No, I have nothing but good things to say about the preview on my 520. I can't wait to get a 1520 and install it.
Most of the complaints are from people who should have never upgraded because they don't understand this isn't the full software release and there are still bugs that need to be ironed out. Microsoft didn't make a mistake releasing this because with everything I've seen I reckon there's always going to be a group of people complaining about anything and everything.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Look I have 3 friends using Windows phones and wanted to get the dev preview. I had already installed on my phone and they played with it and found it great despite the bugs. They have it installed on their phones now and despite all the bugs they enjoy the preview.

The point is, bugs happen, and you have to know that when you get into a beta.

Nagging people always find a reason.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's called beta testing, WP8.1 needs it. Hopefully Microsoft will absorb all the bug reports and take action. Not that bug fixing will solve the API problem of why we don't get gapless playback or a true video editor.

monedetoune

May 17, 2013
Visit site
the whiners most probably fairly new wp users. i have personally used pre nodo wp7 up till the current dpp, on different devices of course. microsoft is surely doing what people want actually. especially with the preview program. they actually learn from all the input given during the preview, but change will come at its own pace. trust me things will be fixed. but microsoft might not change the os to a specific liking for specific people. they cant please everyone. there might be a feature that you like, that i absolutely find horrible. deal with it. for the time being i am really happy that the "others" problem in storage has been solved. and to answer the op, no. microsoft did not make a mistake releasing it. when they are finally done with the preview and the code goes gold, it should be ***** proof. input from power users alone will not help. these whiners will further help microsoft in identifying the key areas of the os ux for fine tuning. like it or not, all of us who installed the preview, at the moment we pushed the agree button on the update eula page has consented to be included as a focus group in a study, stated by microsoft or otherwise.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if am a whiner but let me tell you how I got into this community and why hubs are important to me.

I had an Android device like every one else in my area and was proud of it. One day one of my friends brought a 520 and I asked him "Why did you buy this c**p" and he said he simply don't care about apps and smartphone wars. So that was that.

A few days after we were hanging out together outside college, with our phones in our hand, clicking and swiping away time, I became a little curious, I asked him if i can take a look at his 520, and he gave me the device. The first tile i opened was the photos hub, it had a beautiful picture as background and when he swiped it showed photo related apps, albums etc. I asked him "is this an external photo viewer app?" he said "no. its the native interface" I was impressed how it was so different from my Android's interface and seeing my curiosity he kept showing me more features. He showed me how games are tucked away into the games hub, the integration of apps, people hubs etc.

After that, when I looked at my device, for the first time I realized it looked like a cluttering mess.

Two weeks fast forward. I sold my Android device and with some extra money and brought my awesumtacular 820.

Now seeing how the things that made me fall in love with WP are gone in 8.1, people like me have the right to whine a little.
But on the bright side the new hub apps can be updated outside of OS updates. And I hope they bring those features back.

Last edited:

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes actually, not blaming Microsoft but blaming the general public. One thing you have to learn is that the majority of the general public is filled with ignorance. They want the best and newest without even reading or knowing any knowledge of the things they want.

Quick example is the Terms and Conditions. You SHOULD have read it, but no one does. Then perhaps your device has problems but can't be refunded, and you blame the company. Loyalists or the company would've said that you SHOULD have read the terms and conditions before buying the device and call you ignorant. Which is true.

Therefore Microsoft should release the Preview to a select few as to not create a ruckus. Only release it to Devs who actually could review and give feedback of the OS, not to ignorant users (who are the majority) to download and bash the OS. Casual users should wait for the polished version, then rant if possible.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes actually, not blaming Microsoft but blaming the general public. One thing you have to learn is that the majority of the general public is filled with ignorance. They want the best and newest without even reading or knowing any knowledge of the things they want.

Quick example is the Terms and Conditions. You SHOULD have read it, but no one does. Then perhaps your device has problems but can't be refunded, and you blame the company. Loyalists or the company would've said that you SHOULD have read the terms and conditions before buying the device and call you ignorant. Which is true.

Therefore Microsoft should release the Preview to a select few as to not create a ruckus. Only release it to Devs who actually could review and give feedback of the OS, not to ignorant users (who are the majority) to download and bash the OS. Casual users should wait for the polished version, then rant if possible.

I agree with you. But as said in the the above posts, the constructive criticism will only make the OS more impressive and better. And even if something is perfect, there will still be people who keep whining .

gouthamdatsme

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Whatever everyone says, I love WP. If you don't want a OS without bugs, just wait until the official version comes out and ignore DP. I am just happy that how MS is giving away things like this for free as they usually charge for everything but now they give you chance to try the future update for free of charge and I say there is no wrong in reporting the bugs and mistakes but it doesn't make it a bad OS. I can now clearly understand that MS completely hears what their users needs.

If you can't wait and want a complete OS, just go and buy a phone which has a OS which is more than 3 years old.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
No mistake: even with some hiccups and new adjustments, this preview is just awesome. The keyboard alone is a thing of wonder, and I am thoroughly enjoying Cortana and the notification center.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The way I see it, there are 3 categories of WP8.1 users:

1. Those who LOVED the changes and would never go back to WP8.0 (even if they could). Count me in as one of them, and I think there are many others who felt positively about it.

2. Those who disagreed with certain design decisions or fundamental changes (e.g. changes in Messaging or Me Tile), and gave their feedback in hopes that MSFT would consider them. This would have occurred without the Developer Preview anyway.

3. Those who encountered some bugs with DP. I believe the OP is referring to these cases. First, I believe the majority have not encountered any problems. Second, to install DP you literally have to jump through several hoops - find out how to register with the developer programme, then go register yourself, then install the preview app, and FINALLY - to give your consent after being warned that this is not an official release and may invalidate the warranty. For me personally, I actually went to the forums to read early comments/feedback of those who already tried it, to gauge whether or not it is "safe" for me to go ahead. There are so many deliberate steps involved to get 8.1 DP that you have to take responsibility over your own actions, instead of go crying afterwards and then calling it "garbage" etc.

searitus

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
How ridiculous - nobody forced you to go and update your phone. As has already been pointed out, there are several hoops to jump through before you could even think about installing the update, i.e. it took a concerted effort on your part to seek it out. If there are things you don't like then tough, as it's not the final, completed release version. I know people will complain and say "oh but we were PROMISED it would be the final version" - well bollocks to that. It was never said to be final through official sources.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I think that this is even better than releasing the real deal with this amount of little bugs, better squash them now, than let them grow and have a live show of aliens vs. predators.

I think Microsoft should have a team just to monitor WPcentral comments, polls, and forums, uservoice, reddit and twitter, which im sure they do. and hopefully that will lead to fixing the small thigns here and there, (not just new unfunctional features) that's really ok to me, my concern is the amazingly polished features that they removed. that was a shock.

people where excited because they thought it was a (feature addition update) with very little (feature removal) the facebook thing. but it turned out there was a lot of features that went missing.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
If you've been a regular on WPCentral for more than a year, you'll realize that people here complain about everything.
-People were against the notification center at first (still cant understand why but hey, opinions)
-The start background...ah, I remember the threads, the hate, the posts...now see how a lot of users are in love with it.
-The hubs going would be a let down to some but it's a step in the right direction for the platform.
I know I stopped using the messaging app on my phone for FB messages cause it felt so outdated.

Back to the question the OP asked....no, I do not regret downloading this. I have had no issues with WP8.1. There are a lot of people out there that love it but like someone already said, you wont have multiple posts with people saying "I love WP8.1" but you'll have multiple hate posts and defects posts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12