Has Microsoft made a mistake releasing the Preview?

guillams

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading forums knowing which bugs people have and if I can relate those with mine and find out if someone found a solution. And what most surprise me, is those "idiots" complaining about everything like if they were obligated to installe it or like if this is a final release..

So, MSFT didn't make any mistake, because they give us the opportunity to be part of the goodness of the OS in future releases!

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
No mistakes, people know what the risks are of trying out a preview. And if they not..... well don't blame ms for there own stupidity. It's for developers not for the mainstream, if users want to play developer to get the first updates so be it, sometimes you win some sometimes you lose....its a gamble always has been...

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
This is a developer preview, and it is buggy and requires testing.

This was never made available to the general public - rather the general public made themselves look like developers (by creating app studio accounts et all) - the onus is on the person installing the preview.

It is part of an enthusiast program and the enthusiast is probably one that doesn't mind the bugs.

If anything, perhaps wpcentral shouldn't have posted the steps to get it, as then there would be less frivolous complaining.

This is not the final release. This is a risk and entirely decision of the user to install.

Perhaps wpcentral should put a massive disclaimer, in big red writing, indicating what this preview is for: Testing!

Did Microsoft make a mistake in releasing this into the wild? No.

Did people make the mistake of installing it when they had no business to do so, when they were not willing to deal with the consequences? Yes.

Welcome to life on the edge!

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I love dp it's novel way to reach into enthusiasts hands.here running lumia 820 no problems I love the New changes .thanks Microsoft.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Instead of complaining,
Make a bit contribution to development,
Here is how you can do,
Download diagnostic app from msft,
Than one by one run the test and upload them.

This 8.1 update is awesome, it is far better than 8 but there are bugs which we as users should notify via diagnostics app. It will mature, please stop complaining, developers preview is never expected to be opted by wimps.

Aardappelboom

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
It was extremely clear that hubs would get axed...So I prepared for that and stopped using them and I must say that 8.1 really works a lot better. Sharing is just soooo much easier. Sure the apps aren't ready yet. But the integration works so smoothly now. All the apps are connected and it's definitely better than anything I've ever used. I am happy that the people app still synchronizes with facebook. That was the only thing that I was worried about.

Sure Music and Games aren't good at the moment, but let's hope they improve as the months pass by.

If there is one thing I am dissapointed in it's the lack of extra live tile sizes and horizontal view of the startscreen. The only bug I've found is that the internet explorer advanced tab doesn't work.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
WTF? Greatness... Really? This thing is a mess. I HATE what they did to the hubs. And a lot of others do too. Me tile is broken, People-Picture hubs are dead. I am not happy with this update.New features? Sure... but we're breaking others that you've had for 4 years.

Sorry your having those issues I have experienced none of them 920 ATT. I like the new os

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they made a mistake but maybe for the next round they need to re-evaluate who will be able to get it.

As it stands it is not a dev preview since everyone and their mother got it. The problem is that not everyone and their mother understand that they don't have to download it. This is specially true of people that don't understand the development process. If they are not ready to deal with potential buggy software they should simply not get it. Because even if it is supposedly rtm the first time you release software to the masses new bugs that were never thought of will be found. It's the nature of development.

So from my point of view, for the next round limit it to the devs that are registered through the paying program.

RusB

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone that's complaining about 8.1 needs to pipe down. It's a huge step forward and as has been pointed out time and again, is currently in BETA. Stop filling up the forum with these kind of topics..yawn.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So from my point of view, for the next round limit it to the devs that are registered through the paying program.

I would have paid for the privilege of having this update sooner. It would give me time to work with it before the final version and not be defined guessing it. If you think the complaints are bad now, wait for the final release when it is sent to the masses. I think once the ones that know nothing about their phones get it, (probably the only reason they don't have it now) there will be tons of uninformed complaints like there is on every new OS release.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I would have paid for the privilege of having this update sooner. It would give me time to work with it before the final version and not be defined guessing it. If you think the complaints are bad now, wait for the final release when it is sent to the masses. I think once the ones that know nothing about their phones get it, (probably the only reason they don't have it now) there will be tons of uninformed complaints like there is on every new OS release.

The thing is people are adverse to change. I cannot really judge because I am guilty of it sometimes. (I still cannot get used to the new way to handle the damn cursor! :winktongue: It sucks for ever and I am going to fling my phone at a wall :grin:).

There are definitely valid complaints. But, like you mention, there are plenty of complaints that are the result of ignorance. There will be a learning curve and in today's society patience does not really exist anymore. We want what we want and we want it NOW!

knuckles245

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
The thing is people are adverse to change. I cannot really judge because I am guilty of it sometimes. (I still cannot get used to the new way to handle the damn cursor! :winktongue: It sucks for ever and I am going to fling my phone at a wall :grin:).

There are definitely valid complaints. But, like you mention, there are plenty of complaints that are the result of ignorance. There will be a learning curve and in today's society patience does not really exist anymore. We want what we want and we want it NOW!

That damn cursor, I hate it!!! Lol

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Agreed, I spent the time getting used to WP8.1 using the emulator as part of the SDK so I was prepared for WP8.1 when it hit my phone and while I have a few minor issues they are mainly related to firmware, as far as I'm concerned Microsoft has done a good job of adding some pretty major things that require patience and time to get used to, some people seem to like complaining for the sake of it though.

searitus

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they made a mistake but maybe for the next round they need to re-evaluate who will be able to get it.

As it stands it is not a dev preview since everyone and their mother got it. The problem is that not everyone and their mother understand that they don't have to download it. This is specially true of people that don't understand the development process. If they are not ready to deal with potential buggy software they should simply not get it. Because even if it is supposedly rtm the first time you release software to the masses new bugs that were never thought of will be found. It's the nature of development.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that everyone and their mother got it. Only those without the resolve to actually have some patience and wait for it to be released properly. I still haven't downloaded it because I'm too lazy to deal with all the faff of having to go and sign up and follow multiple steps just to get a preview :D and most people (like 90%) just won't know that there is even this update available until it actually appears on their phones later this year. As you said in your other post, patience doesn't really exist anymore - or at least, when it comes to smartphones; impatience and the desire to always have the newest and latest model is what the whole industry has come to rely on now. Why else would people pay hundreds of pounds/dollars/euros etc each year just to have something that could be bought many months later at a fraction of the price?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss