MUST READ - Lumia 920 owners running 8.1 and WhatsApp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I get this every now and again on my Lumia 820 on FB Messenger. It's a very audible static noise. I don't use whatsApp so I couldn't comment on that.

WeChat and Skype are clean, I tested those. What does the hiss exactly mean? Does WhatsApp produce sound? Or is it some other part making the sound through the speakers? Or: is it because it still makes use of the music hack to do background tasks. That would mean that WeChat and Skype do not use the music hack, ergo, they are better apps. Moreover, why does WhatsApp use SO much energy compared to other apps?

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I think this is a very important issue, WhatsApp supposedly dropped using audio API for background tasks. This is something else. Replicating in my 820. I just have whatsapp as my messaging app. Do any other messaging apps behave this way? I'm curious.

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I think this is a very important issue, WhatsApp supposedly dropped using audio API for background tasks. This is something else. Replicating in my 820. I just have whatsapp as my messaging app. Do any other messaging apps behave this way? I'm curious.
FB Messenger has the same problem. It's not a messaging app as the way whatsApp is, but it's still a messenger of sorts. I'll test a few more apps. Seems to be more apparent on 820's and 920's.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Looks like if an app has access to some video/music/media api, the sound module gets activated and plays that hiss. You could also play a system sound (eg sms tone) and listen carefully: At the end when the tone fades out, you can hear that hiss too!

- Tapatalk -

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Looks like if an app has access to some video/music/media api, the sound module gets activated and plays that hiss. You could also play a system sound (eg sms tone) and listen carefully: At the end when the tone fades out, you can hear that hiss too!

- Tapatalk -

Makes sense, but doesn't explain why the inbuilt camera app doesn't make this sound, but nokia camera app does... I can't believe this isn't a bigger deal (sure it's not noticeable), but its definitely a significant problem that we shouldn't have to just accept... where are the articles about this to raise awareness!?!?

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Makes sense, but doesn't explain why the inbuilt camera app doesn't make this sound, but nokia camera app does... I can't believe this isn't a bigger deal (sure it's not noticeable), but its definitely a significant problem that we shouldn't have to just accept... where are the articles about this to raise awareness!?!?

well the MS camera is built into the system. The Nokia Cam is an extra app...maybe something like that...

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

- Tapatalk -
You hear it after typing with the keyboard too. Once the keyboard 'clicks' have stopped playing, you can hear the hiss for a little bit. Seems as if the sound module is being activated for too long instead of shutting off after a sounds stopped.

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

Not really, as Skype and WeChat are silent. They do have access to a sound API when giving notifications/ in a call/ in-app sounds.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
well here is hoping that BBM gets released soon and has a solid app, i'm getting tired of waiting for WA to finish their beta testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss