Anyone else experience frozen phone while locked?

Samm Neiland

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Just asking to confirm that this is an issue others have been experiencing and not just me freaking out like something is wrong with my phone.

So details. I've a Nokia 925. Had it for a little more than 6 months now. Never had any issues of this sort till updating to the Preview. Basically this morning before I went out, my phone was working just dandy as candy, then about midway through the day, when I went to check it, the screen was dark and wouldn't react to me unlocking the phone. Long story short, it basically got sorted out with a hard reset (which thank you to the guys who work at the T-Mobile store near where I work for helping me while I was acting like a panicked *****) but I figured I'd just see if anyone else was having similar issues all around.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Did you have the Cortana tile on the home screen? That seemed to fix the "Loading........) problem for me.... Not sure if it is related though...

Samm Neiland

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Nah, I do know that issue, but I found that can usually be solved by unloading the apps with the task manager. What I'm speaking of is basically having the phone locked and being able to unlock it or even bring up the "glance" screen. Basically, the phone feeling and acting like its off when its actually still technically on.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Lots of us have this issue. For many of us, it occurs when Wi-Fi is connected to an encrypted (secured) network. Turning Wi-Fi off and keeping it off has been the only workaround.

Open Wi-Fi networks pose no problem however. I just had to hold the power button down for 10 secs and let it perform a soft reset, then turned Wi-Fi off immediately...not 1 hang up or lock up since. Test it a few times, and it will lock up with ~1 min if I turn Wi-Fi back on...keeping Wi-Fi off has also improved my battery life, so there are definitely issues with Wi-Fi in the developer preview.

MS is aware of the bug and working on a fix.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It seems to affect many different Nokia phones. The phone didn't actually freeze. It just doesn't respond to any unlock requests. One work around posted here is to press and hold the camera button to launch camera app which will wake up the phone. This trick worked for me couple times.
Also, if you leave the phone alone for a minute or so and try again will typically let you wake up the phone normally. No need to hard reset the phone.
My 1520 will do this once or twice a day. And typically it happens when I'm not connected to any Wi-Fi network, e.g. when outside of my house.

Samm Neiland

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Ah, thank you guys so much for the insight! I had a feeling it wasn't just an exclusively me thing, but I figured I'd feel better knowing if the issue was more common, and the various solutions/workarounds are quite helpful as well!

cure92

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I just had this happen today. Came back from lunch and it's not responding. Glance is on. I've tried all the things mentioned in the thread with no luck. I just got this phone last week and starting to panic a bit myself. Anything else I can try before I run screaming into the T-mo store?

Samm Neiland

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I just had this happen today. Came back from lunch and it's not responding. Glance is on. I've tried all the things mentioned in the thread with no luck. I just got this phone last week and starting to panic a bit myself. Anything else I can try before I run screaming into the T-mo store?

Well when the guy did the soft reset, he had to hold down the volume down and lock button for like 15-20 seconds, so if you had only been doing it for a few seconds, I might try that first. If not, you could always wait for the battery to run out and force the phone to shut down. If worst comes to worst though, you'd be fine if you brought it into the T-Mobiel store. I had my phone for almost 6 months and they were saying they'd replace it if they weren't able to figure anything out for it.

cure92

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Apparently my fat fingers just needed to hold the vol/pwr buttons a little longer lol. I think in my case it indeed has something to do with the wifi here at work. Not something I had heard about or even thought of as a culprit. This has been a great phone for me so far and loving 8.1. Thanks again everyone!!

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
only have had one since updating on day one of the 8.1 Preview for Developers.
I had Cortana pinned to start screen so wasn't sure if it was that or not. I pulled it off and have not had one since on my L928.

Laceym

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
My L920 locked up on me multiple times a day after the upgrade to 8.1. Now I'm locking up just once a day. Yay! :cry:

I think it is related to wifi. No proof but sometimes the wifi icon on the top of the start screen will show a weak connection and that's when it will lock up. If I notice a weak connection now, I will turn off wifi and turn it back on and it comes back full strength. I haven't noticed lock up while at full strength.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
phew, good to hear it wasn't just a budding defect!
happened twice in the past week, hopefully won't become a significant issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss