Hard reset recommended for Windows Phone 8.1 Preview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel Rafiki

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Just want to share my own experience of the Windows Phone 8.1 Preview on a Nokia Lumia 620. When I originally installed the over-the-air update, I enjoyed the new features but experienced a fair few bugs. The phone would freeze occasionally, apps would crash, and there was visible lag in menu animations. Put all that together and the phone didn't feel as smooth, fluid or refined as it used to be.

Anyhow, I did a hard reset the other day just to see if it would help, and it definitely has. I opted to start the phone afresh (as opposed to restoring an earlier backup) and re-installed all my apps from the store. I have since experienced no crashes or freezes, and the phone feels really smooth again. I'm noticing hardly any lag, battery life has improved and, considering the budget nature of the device, I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how well the Lumia 620 is now handling Windows Phone 8.1.

I'm not sure if this is news to anyone, or if I'm just stating the obvious, but I hope the feedback is useful to someone. If you're having a few niggling issues with 8.1, try a hard reset (settings -> about -> reset your phone). And please be aware that you will lose all data on the phone by doing this.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, after dealing with a few bugs here and there, never mind really bad battery drain. I did the hard reset, and things got better, a lot better, even with battery life (and a few tweaks), I can make a full day with 8.1 and still have 20-30% on the battery before bed.... Not great but, a LOT better than it was...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes i would definitely agree on doing a hard reset after installing the preview, it definitely helped on improving the performance on my 920 and 810

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yep. I did the same thing the day before. Yesterday I got an significant improvement with my battery with Wi-Fi sense turned off. We'll see how today works out.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I hard reset on my 928 yesterday and was never getting high estimations on my battery life before but afterwards I got this never had anything over one day before the update the most I would get was like 10 hours estimated time

After 8.1 hard reset

ejumuqub.png

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

TheRem

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
After hard resetting my WP8.1, it's now downloading and installing one by one all my THOUSAND apps. DAMN! It erased all the apps on my SD card when I chose "SD Card". Grrrr! My Offline Wikipedia is 5 GB... It's gonna be a LONG day. :p

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I'll just need to restore my texts and contacts, nothing else :) i dont have that many apps, so I'll just screenshot every page and install them separately, or maybe do it through the window phone site (my installed list must be clogged, i test a lot of apps).

wphashan

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I'll just need to restore my texts and contacts, nothing else :) i dont have that many apps, so I'll just screenshot every page and install them separately, or maybe do it through the window phone site (my installed list must be clogged, i test a lot of apps).
you don't need to screenshot everything, you can backup your apps list, settings, text messages, contacts, even start screen (wp 8.1) :)

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
you don't need to screenshot everything, you can backup your apps list, settings, text messages, contacts, even start screen (wp 8.1) :)

i dont want to backup my apps. That would mean the same cache back would be back, and MS warns that the others storage returns if you restore app list. I dont want to take risks, so I'd do a simple reset and just restore my texts and contacts. Asphalt 8 and dogfight have cloud saves so that's cool too ! ;-)

wphashan

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
i dont want to backup my apps. That would mean the same cache back would be back, and ms warns that the others storage returns if you restore app list. I dont want to take risks, so i'd do a simple reset and just restore my texts and contacts. Asphalt 8 and dogfight have cloud saves so that's cool too ! ;-)
ok

wphashan

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Do your contacts stay in your hotmail if you hard reset? And what about pictures and saved game data?
Yes, your contacts are stay in your microsoft account, you can backup your photos & videos to one drive, unfortunately apps list backup couldn't save my game data.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
What's the difference between a "hard" reset and other resets? I only saw a thing saying "Reset my phone", which is what I used. Then I restored from the backup I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss