Not impressed by the action center

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
a few months back when I heard about the action centre I was very excited and I'm glad its there. Notice I said the action centre and NOT the notification centre. Just in case someone tries to act smart or anything
Moving on. lets face it everyone, I can guarantee to you100% that the two most used toggles are data Connection ON/OFF and the Wi-Fi. So here are the 3 bummers that I found in the action centre. Data connection as in Data Pack as in 3G,4G, etc.;
1. Absence of a Data Connection toggle
2. the Wi-Fi toggle isn't really to turn it on or off but to take you to the setting for Wi-Fi where you can turn it ON/OFF. Now hold on, I know that you can use the Wi-Fi button to directly turn it ON but NOT to directly turn it OFF. This makes it a total of 3 steps 1.swipe down 2. tap the Wi-Fi button 3. switch Wi-Fi off from the normal settings menu. In contrast to the old way of toggling Wi-Fi on and off which was adding a tile and pressing that tile will take you directly to Wi-Fi setting. See? a total of 2 steps only. So Microsoft added an extra step really unless they change that into an ON/OFF toggle like a rotation lock or airplane mode

3. (not really relevant but there is a millisecond lag while swiping down between revealing the action centre and notification centre which ruins the beauty of the action + notification centre

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
1. Data Connection should be there, won't argue that.
2. Let's assume the Action Center button for WiFi only turned it on/off. You'd still have to tap on the "all settings" button to get to Settings, then you'd have to tap "WiFi" to get to WiFi settings (where you have to tap to connect to specific networks). See? In your case, it'd take four steps (Swipe down>"All settings">"Wifi">specific network).
3. Must be your device. Mine is fine.

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
1: Could be there. Apparently it's a necessity for you.
2: They did this so that so you can tell your phone to automatically turn on the WiFi within a few hours. I wish they would extend this setting to 8 or 12 hours, but this is pretty neat. Sometimes I forget to turn on WiFi and then I use too much 3G data. So I prefer how Microsoft has done it right now, no high data costs anymore.
3: Your device indeed. Fine on Lumia 920.

Apart from that, I prefer the WP action center over the notification center of Android. The notification center in (stock) Android doesn't show the content of messages when there are multiple notifications. I am impresed by the ease you can glance at ALL your notifications, not just some divided per app. I am, in fact, impressed by the action center. Yet, why don't they make a slide show on the tile of all the notifications? That would be awesome.

Djole77

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
use cortana to turn off wifi :)

as for the 3rd point yes agree about that. Made a topic about it.

another problem with the notification center doesn't cooperate with the tiles. Maybe the apps need to update for 8.1

Last edited:

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
1. Data Connection should be there, won't argue that.
2. Let's assume the Action Center button for WiFi only turned it on/off. You'd still have to tap on the "all settings" button to get to Settings, then you'd have to tap "WiFi" to get to WiFi settings (where you have to tap to connect to specific networks). See? In your case, it'd take four steps (Swipe down>"All settings">"Wifi">specific network).
3. Must be your device. Mine is fine.

2. yeah but I have my home Wi-Fi saved and all the local places' networks saved and connect automatically so I wouldn't go all the way to connect because WP8.1 is smart enough to connect automatically. Barely BARELY do I open my Wi-Fi settings to connect to a new network. do you get what I'm trying to say ?
3. I dk , could be. Its not something major anyways

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
1. I don't care, but it's a strange omission.

2. I wonder why they made this the one setting that isn't a toggle. Would love to know why, I wish it changes. It's also odd that it is to turn OFF that we have to go to the setting, if anything you'd think it would be to turn ON (select network). Very odd.

3. It's by design I think. If you slide down, there's a "catch" there so you can release and leave it at the action center rather than slide all the way down to show notifications too. If you slide slower, it;s less of a lag, and more of a slow-down, if you slide down fast it looks like a lag because it sticks there to let you know where to release. Not a big deal at all to me.

I love the action center and notification center. Very well done, IMO.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
1: Could be there. Apparently it's a necessity for you.
2: They did this so that so you can tell your phone to automatically turn on the WiFi within a few hours. I wish they would extend this setting to 8 or 12 hours, but this is pretty neat. Sometimes I forget to turn on WiFi and then I use too much 3G data. So I prefer how Microsoft has done it right now, no high data costs anymore.
3: Your device indeed. Fine on Lumia 920.

Apart from that, I prefer the WP action center over the notification center of Android. The notification center in (stock) Android doesn't show the content of messages when there are multiple notifications. I am impresed by the ease you can glance at ALL your notifications, not just some divided per app. I am, in fact, impressed by the action center. Yet, why don't they make a slide show on the tile of all the notifications? That would be awesome.

1. Its a necessity to all of us. turning off 3G when at home turning it back on when going out. Its something you do everyday no doubt about it
2. I get your point. You make complete sense. but such a setting should be removed in my case ( because chose manually) + that's not something THAT essential to make me go through 3 steps instead of 2
3. my phone is a Lumia 920 :)

Cant argue with you about that , the notification center is superior although its not completely synchronized. Like when I open my mail from the tile , and check the notification centre later it doesn't remove it from there unless I swipe it away. But the action centre on the Android is PERFECT , sorry. That's actually a nice idea although it will take up space from the main homescreen. that's why they made the notification center after all

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
1. Its a necessity to all of us. turning off 3G when at home turning it back on when going out. Its something you do everyday no doubt about it

Why do you assume that? I have never turned it off. Why would I? When WiFi turns on, it takes precedence automatically so I have never had a reason to turn off the cellular data. I think very few people do.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
use cortana to turn off wifi :)

as for the 3rd point yes agree about that. Made a topic about it.

another problem with the notification center cooperate with the tiles. Maybe the apps need to update for 8.1
HAHAHAH that's actually a great idea will do it from now on :p
Oh really ?? link please ??
yes I just mentioned it in one of my replies before I read yours , its really bugging me

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
1. I don't care, but it's a strange omission.

2. I wonder why they made this the one setting that isn't a toggle. Would love to know why, I wish it changes. It's also odd that it is to turn OFF that we have to go to the setting, if anything you'd think it would be to turn ON (select network). Very odd.

3. It's by design I think. If you slide down, there's a "catch" there so you can release and leave it at the action center rather than slide all the way down to show notifications too. If you slide slower, it;s less of a lag, and more of a slow-down, if you slide down fast it looks like a lag because it sticks there to let you know where to release. Not a big deal at all to me.

I love the action center and notification center. Very well done, IMO.

2. EXACTLY but some guy mentioned the reason for that in the third reply
3. NO WAYYY I just tried it , that's actually very smart of them I hated the fact that I should pull it down all the way
WAY TO GO MICROSOFT. thanks for the tip ^^

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Why do you assume that? I have never turned it off. Why would I? When WiFi turns on, it takes precedence automatically so I have never had a reason to turn off the cellular data. I think very few people do.
simply for 2 reasons. First it drains battery and the second say you don't want to receive any notifications except for SMS and phone calls if its an emergency. I would like some silence sometimes but turning off my Wi-Fi AND my 3G to stop notifications coming

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
2. EXACTLY but some guy mentioned the reason for that in the third reply

Ah... might be. Strange reason though. If we really wanted to do that every time we could just go to the settings like before, IMO. Would be better to have it as a true toggle.

LawnPaul

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
You can add airplane mode toggle. Go to settings, action center, tap on an icon change. They're all just hot keys.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
1. I rarely turn off data by itself so this doesn't affect me much. I mainly use airplane more for that sort of thing.

2. There's nothing preventing you from pinning a Wi-Fi tile if you feel the need. I can see the reasoning for a toggle and not having a toggle. I rarely turn off Wi-Fi so it doesn't affect me that much.

3. My 920 and 520 works fine.Maybe try a hard reset? That fixed a number of issues with the preview for me.

Internet Sharing, Rotation lock and Brightness are the ones I use most often.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't call it necessary to have a toggle to turn off data. I never turn off date and when I have wifi 📶 on I don't worry about battery 🔋drain. I leave my phone on wifi with data on and when I wake up its still at 100 percent after 8hrs on standby. Anyways I like how the action Center on 8.1 is. It's more practicle than IOS and more easier than android imo

boasist

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I've never turned off my data connection, so that doesn't matter to me. Nor do I toggle lte, etc.

I only turn off wifi when I'm testing something, so that isn't an issue.

Overall I welcome the changes, and again, now that the proof of concept is there, there may be some customization options given the final version.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)