Something important is missing in the new home screen

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
With the introduction of the new home screen customizable backgrounds, this opened infinite number of possibilities of backgrounds from solid colors to abstracts and natural scenery. Yet I find myself limited by what colors should I choose. As you all know everything on the tiles is written and drawn in white with no bordering or color filling. This prevents us from putting background pictures that have light colors scared from the fact that we won't be able to see our tiles properly. Therefore our choices are cut down significantly. Here are my available solutions :
1. Microsoft should apply a very delicate simple black line round the borders of the logos on their tiles. This would help us differentiate it from the background.
2. Microsoft should give its customers the choice of choosing the color fill for the logos on their tiles and this will ultimately lead to an even more customizable screen
These are just my suggestions what do you guys think ?

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I like the idea. More ways to customize the Start Screen. I'm always about individual customization, and this idea would add to it. I would also like to be able to change the color of the background itself besides the white and black choices we are now given. Like I always say, the more choices, the better.

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea. More ways to customize the Start Screen. I'm always about individual customization, and this idea would add to it. I would also like to be able to change the color of the background itself besides the white and black choices we are now given. Like I always say, the more choices, the better.

That too is a really good idea im impressed already with WP 8.1 can't wait for them to release the next big update

monedetoune

May 17, 2013
Visit site
With the introduction of the new home screen customizable backgrounds, this opened infinite number of possibilities of backgrounds from solid colors to abstracts and natural scenery. Yet I find myself limited by what colors should I choose. As you all know everything on the tiles is written and drawn in white with no bordering or color filling. This prevents us from putting background pictures that have light colors scared from the fact that we won't be able to see our tiles properly. Therefore our choices are cut down significantly. Here are my available solutions :
1. Microsoft should apply a very delicate simple black line round the borders of the logos on their tiles. This would help us differentiate it from the background.
2. Microsoft should give its customers the choice of choosing the color fill for the logos on their tiles and this will ultimately lead to an even more customizable screen
These are just my suggestions what do you guys think ?

putting black outline on tile elements will not work. the status icons resource are too small and having that black outline will surely screw up with antialiasing/cleartype of the elements be it text or icons. if ms were to change the ux to include these, it will break the consistency in the modern/metro design language. its not so much as being a missing feature. its their choice to only allow safe color. my personal recommendation would be, use any light color wallpaper you want and apply a soft grey/black transparency overlay or filter and use it with the transparent tiles. because having additional elements introduced to a really fine tuned ui design will make it look extremely tacky.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte